The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

Yeah Candyman is way out there definately not your run of the Mill Slasher if so, surely the Classic First Power with Lou Diamond Phillips will be in there then :)

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lived in a small village when i was a kid but had 1 video store and 1 newsagent and the horror movies that they had in there, my mum always used to get me one as a treat like a couple a week aswell as her liking them aswell

And the First Power rocks !! its up there with the Rutger Hauer Classic Split Second :)

• Paid Members
Meh fair enough I thought you were taking the piss. The last time I watched it I found Candyman to be less atmospheric and gripping than I had as a kid. The premise is quality but its pacing was plodding. I still liked it just not a lot. I don't really see how its stunning or different to most things. Its a run of the mill supernatural slasher. Nothing wrong with that though.

Candyman is absolutely NOT a "run of the mill supernatural slasher". You've completely misunderstood the film if you concluded that. It's a supernatural film, nominally, but one that deals with themes of race and madness more than anything else. There's this whole white-guilt, race memory, social inequality subtext that pretty much drives the whole story. I mean, that's WHY it's famous.

No that's not why its famous. Its famous because its a cool creepy idea that captures the imagination. I won't lie though the themes you mention are ambitious and it definitely should be commended for that. I don't remember it dealing with them especially well though but it has been some time. You never know it might go up in my estimations the next time I see it as it has been some time. It will take some convincing for me to think its some sort of out and out classic though.

EDIT - I'll reiterate that I do like Candyman apparently not as much as some of you.

• Paid Members
It totally is a slasher film. Its a guy that pops out and kills people just like every other slasher. It shares plenty of the same conventions. I don't think Friday the 13th is underrated its got a huge fanbase its just not represented on the list. We disagree on its pacing but yeah it does do a good job with its characters.

I wouldn't class it as a slasher. You can match codes and conventions to suit but it has more in common with a traditional ghost story than a slasher

Ill bring us all back on whats everyones honest thoughts on the likes of :

The Funhouse as honestly i didnt like it ?

• Paid Members
Ill bring us all back on whats everyones honest thoughts on the likes of :

The Funhouse as honestly i didnt like it ?

I'm with you. It has its moments but really isn't worth a second watch, saying that I want to watch it again now. :laugh:

It never really gets much better than its opening Giallo homage

• Paid Members

Thought it was dreadful, just like the novel.

However, it's still not as bad as Last House on Dead End Street, which was retitled The Funhouse for one of it's runs at the drive-ins and grindhouses of the USA, and which probably made its way to the UK under the title, dooming Hooper's bland slasher to the Nasties list.

• Paid Members
Thought it was dreadful, just like the novel.

However, it's still not as bad as Last House on Dead End Street, which was retitled The Funhouse for one of it's runs at the drive-ins and grindhouses of the USA, and which probably made its way to the UK under the title, dooming Hooper's bland slasher to the Nasties list.

Ah so that's why it got on the list. If ever there was evidence they didn't watch any of the films Funhouse is it.

I would rather u punch me than watch last house on dead end street it is absolute rubbish

well im glad everyone agrees where i disagree :)

HANG THE FUCK ON.

Quatermass and the Pit isn't on there. The scariest film I ever saw as a kid.

The original black and white one, before we get into that.

Quatermass and the Pit is fucking fantastic film, also scared the shit out of me when a kid, my dad would always bang on about how scary it was and it was on lateish one night and watched it. Yikes

Paperhouse is a great shout as well whoever mentioned it (Chokeout?)

Finally looked through the list. No Day of the Triffids, Gaslight, Dont Look Now?

Archived