The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Oh I really like it but its just not as good as it should be.

Clarify what this means because I really don't know what it means. Candyman is absolutely stunning. Very, very different to most things that are still out there. It's one of the great modern horror films and definitely should be on the list.

Oh no I'm not going there again. We don't need to fill the thread with another unpopular back and forth. It means what it means.

Shouldn't you go there? Isn't that the essence of debate? Also, isn't "it means what it means" a fucking ludicrous thing to say?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Magic is a movie i love aswell creeps the hell out of me the whole doll situation really does.

But then when i was a kid Jekyll & Hyde (Not Idea which version) scared the hell out of me for years, there was a image of a disfigured boy at the end that made me have so many nightmares it was unreal :)

• Paid Members
Oh no I'm not going there again. We don't need to fill the thread with another unpopular back and forth. It means what it means.

What are you on about? All I was asking for was clarification.

Meh fair enough I thought you were taking the piss. The last time I watched it I found Candyman to be less atmospheric and gripping than I had as a kid. The premise is quality but its pacing was plodding. I still liked it just not a lot. I don't really see how its stunning or different to most things. Its a run of the mill supernatural slasher. Nothing wrong with that though.

Oh I really like it but its just not as good as it should be.

Clarify what this means because I really don't know what it means. Candyman is absolutely stunning. Very, very different to most things that are still out there. It's one of the great modern horror films and definitely should be on the list.

Shouldn't you go there? Isn't that the essence of debate? Also, isn't "it means what it means" a fucking ludicrous thing to say?

Have a day off. Your the one that bitched about us having a discusion in the first place.

But on that subject, I just noticed Dead Of Night is on there! It's going to be my next 'mither everyone on UKFF until they've watched it' project, I think. It's just great.

Particularly as its version of the horror doll predates the others mentioned in this thread by decades.

I dont know if i would class this as a horror but only just recently watched these as a threesome :

The Town that Dreaded Sundown - Classic 5 * if u havent seen it i will lend to everyone ! ! !

Dark Night of the Scarecrow

White Dog

Loved all three of them

HANG THE FUCK ON.

Quatermass and the Pit isn't on there. The scariest film I ever saw as a kid.

The original black and white one, before we get into that.

• Paid Members

Meh fair enough I thought you were taking the piss. The last time I watched it I found Candyman to be less atmospheric and gripping than I had as a kid. The premise is quality but its pacing was plodding. I still liked it just not a lot. I don't really see how its stunning or different to most things. Its a run of the mill supernatural slasher. Nothing wrong with that though.

I find it hard to believe that you, as clearly a massive slasher film fan, could call it a run of the mill slasher when you're in this same thread proclaiming the likes of Friday The 13th as something that is underrated and high quality.

For a start, Candyman is NOT a slasher film, as far as I'm concerned. A slasher film is something very, very specific, and that is a maniac arbitrarily picking off people in a set location. Candyman is not that kind of film at all. Its pacing is everything that a really good, atmospheric horror film should be and that is considered and with enough attention to detail to properly characterise its main characters. It's stunning and, as far as I'm concerned, one of the great horror films of the 1990s.

Loki - Quatermass and the Pit was a film i couldnt ever understand my mum used to say it was a brilliant film when she was ironing i used to sit there as a kid and watch her watching movies like this and Twins of Evil, Horror Express.

Candyman is absolutely NOT a "run of the mill supernatural slasher". You've completely misunderstood the film if you concluded that. It's a supernatural film, nominally, but one that deals with themes of race and madness more than anything else. There's this whole white-guilt, race memory, social inequality subtext that pretty much drives the whole story. I mean, that's WHY it's famous.

• Paid Members
I dont know if i would class this as a horror but only just recently watched these as a threesome :

The Town that Dreaded Sundown - Classic 5 * if u havent seen it i will lend to everyone ! ! !

Dark Night of the Scarecrow

White Dog

Loved all three of them

Absolutely love Dark Night of the Scarecrow. The Blu ray is stunning to for a made for TV movie of that era. Good call.

I find it hard to believe that you, as clearly a massive slasher film fan, could call it a run of the mill slasher when you're in this same thread proclaiming the likes of Friday The 13th as something that is underrated and high quality.

For a start, Candyman is NOT a slasher film, as far as I'm concerned. A slasher film is something very, very specific, and that is a maniac arbitrarily picking off people in a set location. Candyman is not that kind of film at all. Its pacing is everything that a really good, atmospheric horror film should be and that is considered and with enough attention to detail to properly characterise its main characters. It's stunning and, as far as I'm concerned, one of the great horror films of the 1990s.

It totally is a slasher film. Its a guy that pops out and kills people just like every other slasher. It shares plenty of the same conventions. I don't think Friday the 13th is underrated its got a huge fanbase its just not represented on the list. We disagree on its pacing but yeah it does do a good job with its characters.

Archived