The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

What Waits Below ..... sounds like a good movie ill have to pick that up cheap since its on the hollywood dvd range so 1p will do :)

Some collectors / carbooters down my way havent got a clue i picked up Hardware (Red Edition) and Dust Devil 4 Disc for

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen it for a while and have certainly never been cock-a-hoop over it, but in terms of cultural impact i'm surprised Candyman didn't make the list. The supernatural element certainly gave it something that seperates it from other films.

Certainly when I was growing up the 'say-a-name-five-times' thing was a big deal.

It usually makes these lists, too.

Also, I presume the fact that people still refuse to pigeon hole it as a 'horror' is why Battle Royale isn't on there. I still maintain that it's a film that exists above genre and fits into 'horror' as well as it does 'action' or 'thriller' or 'genre'.

Candyman for me, easily should be on that list when i was younger that film gave me and a few mates loads of creeps when one of my mates dad says watch this and i dare u go to a mirror and say it five times, none of us ever did it was such a different film that was out there at the time, that was at the time when we were watching marathons of : Dead Alive, Bad Taste, Deadbeat at Dawn & Q the Winged Serpent , those were the days :)

• Paid Members

I watched The Last Exorcism last night.

Good little film until the ending, one of the worst endings to a film since Knowing. Completely ruined the film for me.

Also, it felt way too short, could have done with extra 15 minutes of pant shitting terror and any ending but that pile of wank.

• Paid Members
I haven't seen it for a while and have certainly never been cock-a-hoop over it, but in terms of cultural impact i'm surprised Candyman didn't make the list. The supernatural element certainly gave it something that seperates it from other films.

Certainly when I was growing up the 'say-a-name-five-times' thing was a big deal.

I've always thought Candyman would be perfect for a remake. Its got great potential that it really doesn't live up to. I really should get the Blu-ray though. I always forget it its out.

I've always thought Candyman would be perfect for a remake. Its got great potential that it really doesn't live up to. I really should get the Blu-ray though. I always forget it its out.

Wha-a-at? Why would you want to remake that! It's a great, cleverly made film that is absolutely missing from the list, good spot Daz.

• Paid Members

Wha-a-at? Why would you want to remake that! It's a great, cleverly made film that is absolutely missing from the list, good spot Daz.

Oh I really like it but its just not as good as it should be. What with Hollywood's penchant for remakes it seems like a natural choice. By remake I mean very good remake.

Chest, you crazy foo'

The consensus has always seemed to be that Candyman wasn't just a box office hit, but a critical success too. I've just had a little search, and people seemed to love it. The sequel, not so much. Though, if i'm honest, i've never seen the sequel.

Culturally it deserves a place and, by the looks of it, commercially and critically it does too.

Im still a bit confused to why some modern movies like Pulse and Haute Tension are in the top 100 ? i agree Haute is a good movie but really top 100 ?

Theres movies out there that i would easily put above Pulse i would put Scanners or Raw Meat (Deadline) infront of them

Ha Ha Yeah u know what i mean Death Line, that is in one of my top ten really the likes of Pulse and The Others just doesnt peak my top 10, theres films like Lady in White, The Gate when i was younger that just flew off the video shelfs in my local Ritz :)

• Paid Members

Chimera shit me right up as a child. I still assume all barns house a monkey man hybrid.

Whoever mentioned Q The Winged serpent deserves a pat on the back as well, Love that film.

Was The Willies that was mentioned the kids telling stories while camping one? If so that turned up on The Horror channel a few years ago with a terrible VHS transfer and it was the first time I'd seen it in about 15 years, surprised how much of it I remembered.

Candyman is a great spot and deserves to be on the list. If they remade it they'd have to set it in Liverpool like the original story. Scouse boogeyman!

Archived