The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
Chest, you crazy foo'

The consensus has always seemed to be that Candyman wasn't just a box office hit, but a critical success too. I've just had a little search, and people seemed to love it. The sequel, not so much. Though, if i'm honest, i've never seen the sequel.

Culturally it deserves a place and, by the looks of it, commercially and critically it does too.

Don't blame me - blame the idiots I was having the conversation with! I love it, and also haven't seen the sequel (so I couldn't really effectively argue my case).

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Its been years since I saw it but the sequel is pretty rotten. I read some time ago that about ten minutes were trimmed from Candyman by the MPAA. Would love to see the original cut.

Bingo just ordered it from Amazon. Well worth

At the risk of a) being stereotyped as the defender of the American B-Movie or b) being lynched, i'm pretty surprised Child's Play isn't on the list. Creative premise, cultural impact and spawned a recognisable brand/franchise.

Scared the toss out of me as a kid, too.

Agreed on Nightbreed and Childs Play, the later was banned in my house until i was a little older and we managed to see it on Sky Movies whilst on a sleepover :)

• Paid Members

I'd certainly put Child's Play in my top 100 but it doesn't surprise me its not there. It stands out from many of the lesser slashers but isn't quite on the level of the greats. Personally I would have definitely had My Bloody Valentine on the list as well but then that just because I think its tremendous.

EDIT - Good call on the Nightbreed Blu/DVD that would be very special.

• Paid Members

Nightbreed is a mess of a film. Some fantastic ideas that just went to waste. Its pretty common knowledge that they had no idea what they were doing while they were making it and tons of stuff was filmed and cut out and then cut again by the distributor

• Paid Members

Sweeney Todd & Little Shop of Horrors are missing too. I would have included both. I probably would have put Arachnophobia in there too, purely because it scared the hell out of me when i first saw it.

Theres so many films that should of been swapped in that list, things like :

The Brood, The Cars that Ate Paris if films like Pulse can get in there jesus, might aswell throw in Misery that should be in there IT Stephen King written some classics another great that kept getting replayed i can remember was Pet Sematary ?

And yeah the Willies was the old Campfire movie that was a classic in my day, films like that i cannot forget.

Archived