The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

I have seen 51 of those. Christ. I have a few sitting to be watched on DVD as well (such as Let The Right One In, which I may watch tonight).

Decent list. No real glaring omissions that I can see anyway. I would have Inferno a bit higher, actually prefer that to Suspiria.

Prity good film, you should if you haven't another one similer in style is the Finnish movie Sauna or as it's been renamed for the UK Evil Rising. Slow paced for some but rewarding if you give it the time.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only merit of the remake is Jessica Biel in a vest.

That alone puts it above the absolutely awful original.

Maybe I'm not seeing them, but are The Last House On The Left and The Hills Have Eyes really not in there?

I'm not sure The Last House on the Left should be. The remake wasn't much cop and the old one is an appallingly bad film. The 2005 (or whenever it was) Hills Have Eyes is far better than most of the films on that list, mind. Not seen the original, I just remember the covers with that weird-looking bloke who seemed to be in loads of films in the seventies or eighties.

• Paid Members

Hills Have Eyes remake is a much better film than the original. In fact its one of the best remakes purely because it makes a ropey film with potential into a good film. If only Hollywood would learn and do more of the same if they aren't going with new material.

Sad to see Friday the 13th and Scream omitted in favour of some of those on the list.

• Paid Members

Friday The 13th was shit, though. The series only got entertaining at around part 5 when it started making fun of itself. The original is terrible.

• Paid Members
Friday The 13th was shit, though. The series only got entertaining at around part 5 when it started making fun of itself. The original is terrible.

Just no.

• Moderators

God, yes. The horror fanboy outrage over the remake "ruining" the original was hilarious. It's a series only notable because of how many there were, and Jason as an icon carries infinitely more weight than the films themselves.

• Paid Members

Just no.

Just yes. Poorly acted, poorly shot, by the numbers slasher. And that's being kind to it. You only have to look at the rest of Sean Cunningham's filmography for clues to how shit he and it is.

The Descent is pants as well. Only worth watching for the gorgeous one out the Magdalene Sisters, and she's not that nice in The Descent. None of the character stuff was any good, and the scary bits weren't very scary. I can accept it was better in the cinema, but for me watching on DVD, it fell well short of the massive hype.

• Paid Members

Just no.

Just yes. Poorly acted, poorly shot, by the numbers slasher. And that's being kind to it. You only have to look at the rest of Sean Cunningham's filmography for clues to how shit he and it is.

Its only by the number now because its the template for the rest of them in it mould. The acting is fine by Horror standards and its certainly not poorly shot. Nonsense especially when sighting the sequels from 5 as a improvement. No idea what his other films have to do with it. I can't say I've seen any of them. Obviously F13 stole a bunch from Halloween and various Giallo but its just as influential as its predecessors and more to the point its just as good (well ok not Halloween).

I agree people are to hard on the F13 remake. Its not especially good paint by numbers stuff but entertaining.

• Paid Members

Just no.

I love Friday the 13th but its not a great film. Halloween and the Burning do it all far better

• Paid Members

Just no.

I love Friday the 13th but its not a great film. Halloween and the Burning do it all far better

I'm not saying its the greatest film ever made just that its A) not shit and B) deserves to be on the list.

Man I wish the Burning was on Blu-ray.

• Moderators
I agree people are to hard on the F13 remake. Its not especially good paint by numbers stuff but entertaining.

They're not hard enough on it. Of all the remakes, Friday the 13th is by far the worst film. It's sooooooooo boring, it feels about three hours long. It made absolutely zero cultural impact either. I bet not a person who saw it can remember a single thing about it beyond "some chick probably got her tits out or summink."

So that's: Original - TERRIBLE. Remake - TERRIBLE.

• Paid Members
Its only by the number now because its the template for the rest of them in it mould. The acting is fine by Horror standards and its certainly not poorly shot. Nonsense especially when sighting the sequels from 5 as a improvement. No idea what his other films have to do with it. I can't say I've seen any of them. Obviously F13 stole a bunch from Halloween and various Giallo but its just as influential as its predecessors and more to the point its just as good (well ok not Halloween).

Giallo is not my area of expertise (I think that's Rosegarden Funeral's area) but its influence surely has to be questioned? If it's already massively influenced by numerous other films, then how can it take any credit at all? The only sub-genre it can really take much credit for is fuckwit teenagers being murdered out in the sticks - shit like Sleepaway Camp and that kind of crap. Stuff that nobody is missing out on if they haven't seen it.

Being influential is nearly as regularly a good thing as is made out. But Friday The 13th's direct influence on anything decent has to be called into question.

Archived