Two rights make a wrong.

The Hitman

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did I not make it perfectly clear I've watched the match, more than once?

Yes. You also stated the match consisted of two holds until the finish. I wanted to point out the great points of the bulk of the match.

That's a contradiction. You can appreciate they don't like the match, but only if they don't disagree that the performances were stellar and that it had a lot of good work? What you mean (I hope) is you can appreciate other people may have an opinion that differs from your own, even if you don't agree with it. Otherwise you might as well just spout hyperbolic self-aggrandisizing nonsense like "I don't know what matches you were watching" or stating what "anybody who has ever watched that match knows."

It's very clear what I said. I stated that I appreciate it isn't to everybodys tastes. If you watch it (don't worry I know you've seen it a whole bunch of times), what is also clear, is that it has a lot of good work, which bewilders me when it goes un-appreciated when the match is discussed. The work is overlooked because people jump straight on the "time limit", "it's too boring" etc. etc. Which is a shame because there's a load of great stuff in there.

As it is, I fully appreciate the effort the two men put in, and indeed the concept of the story they attempted to tell, but in terms of execution as an entertainment event, in my humble opinion it failed to hold the attention.

I can totally understand it doesn't hold every fans attention. It's a shame it wasn't worked as just a match that went really long. Would have been more entertaining as a whole. A 60 minute match isn't something many people likely wake up and fancy sitting through these days.

• Paid Members
Aside from a match in some kind of tournament after WM21, Angle/Guerrero never really clicked, for me. The 'Mania match was just ok, same with the 2/3 falls, the Summerslam match was really shit, and they had a lumberjack match that had to be heavily edited to make tv, that even Kurt "I could have an 8 star match with a tampon, me!" Angle admits was terrible.

HHH/Angle was never what it should have been, either.

Yeah I don't think I ever really got into a HHH/Angle match. Just didn't seem to click to me. Then again, I don't think they had many matches did they? Two on PPV maybe one on Raw?

Eddie/Angle, I seem to recall a pretty good match they had on Smackdown, pretty sure it was the Halloween episode in 2002. Which was also the same episode where Cena's rapper gimmick was born. I only saw it once though. I wasn't that into their 2004 run.

That lumberjack match was a shambles. Sure I read Angle and Eddie almost got into a fight backstage over that one.

One match that seems to come to mind is the Austin/Jericho match from No Way Out 2002. It just didn't seem to work out that great, their match on Raw from the year before (May or June) was very good. Perhaps it was becuase the heel/face roles were reversed, I'm not sure.

Yeah good call, that match was rotten from what I recall of it. I'm sure at the time WWE.com even had an interview up with Austin where he was saying how shite it turned out and how sometimes 2 good workers just don't gel for whatever reason. Like you say, may have been a one off though cos I always enjoyed their interactions in tag matches and that Raw match you mentioned.

I'll throw in a couple I don't think have been mentioned

Flair vs Rude's WCW matches from 93. I never saw them matches for years after and always thought they had to be great. Turned out they were pretty cack. A big letdown considering the wealth of talent between them.

Regal vs Edge's short feud from early 2002. I've always enjoyed watching both of them. For some reason they just didn't work together for me.

I can't remember a Austin/Triple H match I particularly liked either. 3 falls one was too drawn out for me and their match at Survivor Series 2000 doesn't jump out in the memory. Never saw their 1996 PPV match.

I've never heard one good thing about HHH/HBK at Armageddon '02, HIAC or Royal Rumble '04. I thought all 3 were abysmal too. The best match they ever had was that December Raw in '03. Either that or something from 1996.

Best match they ever had was Summerslam 2002

Oh and the Bret/Shawn Iron Man match is just boring shite

I don't know what matches you were watching but Bret vs. Shawn at WM XII is a wrestling clinic, a timeless match you can sit back and watch masterful realistic looking back and forth wrestling. Takes some skill putting on that match with the perfect timing and pace they did. Also, Bret vs. Shawn in Montreal is one of the best WWF main event brawls in history, you must have made the mistake of going into it expecting to see technical wrestling and Shawn flipping around. It was the most hate filled brawl perhaps in the company's history, expecting anything but a stiff all over brawl would be daft, you can almost taste the hatred with each strike thrown it's awesome. I thought it was marvellous and still do.

Rockers vs. Hart Foundation is a match that got pulled from TV for having the rope break. Surely expectations going in are that it would turn into a mess. Strangely I thought it was pretty great until the finish which looked like horse shit thanks to the rope.

Shawn vs. Perfect at Summerslam is the exact match I thought of when I saw this thread. They had an AWESOME match from 1991 that is miles better.

Oh god lol I see myself as a "wrestling" fan not a sports entertainment fan. I turned off wrestling full time coming up to ten years ago because it went too "entertainment" for me. But good lord, Hart vs Michaels WM12 was and still is torture to watch. It's like, if i was going to make myself want to end my life - Hart vs Michaels WM12 would be it. It was slow, plodding and "realistic" doesnt have to mean a billion headlocks. Wrestling isn't supposed to be "realistic" in the sense that it shouldnt be logical. If it was, every match with an irish whip in it would be rendered a disaster! But god, if they had just had a load of falls in the match it probably would have worked a dream. Ill take Benoit/Angle vs Edge/Mysterio over that any day of the week! And I love both Hart and Michaels but that was too much! IMO

• Paid Members
Jericho/Austin from Armagedon I think. I remember shouting at the tv because all they did was chop eachother down.

The rumble match this year. Fucking crap

I don't know if you mean that match for definite, but I thought very much the same of their match at No Way Out a few months later. Absolute snorefest with little more than chops sticking in my memory from it.

For me it's Randy Orton against Triple H at Mania 25. The build up to this was brilliant with Orton looking like a beast. Both guys can put on great matches when they are at their best but this match plain sucked. Putting it on after the epic Michaels Taker match killed the crowd and Triple H going over was an awful booking decision.

It's not a match, but that promo from Foley and Terry Funk (where Funk kept repeating "I know why you did it" even though the whole point of the promo was he was meant to be asking Foley why) has to be one of the worst of all time, which is amazing considering those involved. I can't find it on youtube, but it was during the run up to when he tagged with Edge against the ECW guys.

HHH vs Orton from WM a few years ago. They went from one of the best storylines in history to no contact or you'll be DQ'ed nonsense in the space of 3 weeks and the match suffered heavily as a result. It should have been a fight to the finish given what Orton had done in the weeks leading up to it.

Edge vs Jericho at WM - one of the worst matches I've ever seen after expecting a 5* classic.

Edge vs 'Taker at WM - booooooring

HHH vs Orton from WM a few years ago. They went from one of the best storylines in history to no contact or you'll be DQ'ed nonsense in the space of 3 weeks and the match suffered heavily as a result. It should have been a fight to the finish given what Orton had done in the weeks leading up to it.

Edge vs Jericho at WM - one of the worst matches I've ever seen after expecting a 5* classic.

Edge vs 'Taker at WM - booooooring

The first two I agree with but seriously man! Take your head out your ass in regards to the Edge vs. Undertaker match from 24. That match was story telling at it's finest and had loads of great moments and action in it!

• Paid Members

While I agree the match was terrible, the storyline was also rotten. They had no realistic way of living up to the angles they did (which included a game of hide and seek in Orton's house, the prize being a Sledgehammer against the puss), they realised this and decided to add the stip. You also had to deal with Shane O'Mac getting blown up doing crap punches to Orton's invisible chin extension.

• Paid Members

I loved the build to Triple H vs Orton. I didn't think the match was that bad, either. It was a perfectly fine "babyface gets revenge" match, it's just that on the night, that's really not the type of match they should've had. Even then, though, I think they'd have been fine if they went on before Taker/Michaels.

Sometimes card placement is everything.

• Paid Members

The build killed that match too, people wanted a mental brawl (and they realised they did too much by adding the stip). Both men are capable of so much better, IMO.

On this subject, have Orton and Triple H ever had the 'classic match' you'd expect from them? I can't think of any.

Archived