Two rights make a wrong.

The Hitman

I recently bought a DVD of King of the Ring 2002 after getting caught up in the Brock hype and the main event of the show is Triple H vs Undertaker. I haven't rewatched it yet but I remember this match boring me to tears at the time. After these two put on such an incredible effort at the last two Wrestlemanias, it got me thinking about other matches where all the ingredients were there for a classic but for whatever reason those involved didn't deliver.

For example Summerslam 93: Shawn Michaels vs Mr Perfect. On paper this should have been immense, a bout featuring two fantastic wrestlers. But due to the fact that both are more accustomed to bumping for others the match was a tepid affair.

So let's hear it, what are the UKFF's most memorable stinkers featuring wrestlers who should have done better?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels - WM12

Triple H vs. Steve Austin - Three stages of slow and painful death.

There was a horrific Michaels/Trips match in 2003 too I think but I can't remember which show?

The Eddie/Benoit match that opened One Night Stand was a massive disappointment.

Goldberg/Lesnar was the biggest disappointment of your life. Not sure anyone else would count Goldberg as "great".

Steve Austin vs. Scott Hall from WM18 is another. Two of my favourite workers ever. Awful match.

• Paid Members

There was a horrific Michaels/Trips match in 2003 too I think but I can't remember which show?

Armageddon was it?

I thought the Hart/Michaels match was very boring.

I found their Bad Blood 2004 Hell In A Cell to be overlong, self-indulgent and ultimately very dull. Can't remember anything of theirs from 2003 apart from the December Raw match which I thought was cracking.

I found their Bad Blood 2004 Hell In A Cell to be overlong, self-indulgent and ultimately very dull. Can't remember anything of theirs from 2003 apart from the December Raw match which I thought was cracking.

Aye, I'm a huge fan of the match as well.

I recently bought a DVD of King of the Ring 2002 after getting caught up in the Brock hype and the main event of the show is Triple H vs Undertaker. I haven't rewatched it yet but I remember this match boring me to tears at the time. After these two put on such an incredible effort at the last two Wrestlemanias, it got me thinking about other matches where all the ingredients were there for a classic but for whatever reason those involved didn't deliver

While HHH and Taker are looked at a lot more fondly these days, it IS worth noting that Triple H was pretty poor around this time and The Undertaker was about the same. Neither guy was anywhere near their best. Still didn't quite expect the complete and utter shitfest they served up at that PPV.

The end of year RAW which led to Last Man Standing?

No chance, that match was fantastic. The only bad thing about it was the ad breaks.

Some that spring to mind for me;

- Rockers/Hart Foundation - phantom title change

- Jake/Sting and Chono/Rude, Halloween Havoc 92

- Ricky Morton/Robert Gibson, GAB 91

- loads of Bret Hart in WCW - vs Sting (Havoc), Savage (Slamboree) etc.

• Paid Members

Armageddon was it?

Nah, that was a triple threat without HBK I think. I can't remember at all. It might well be the Raw match that Haraga mentioned but i'd be in the minority on that one it seems!

• Paid Members

Armageddon was it?

Nah, that was a triple threat without HBK I think. I can't remember at all. It might well be the Raw match that Haraga mentioned but i'd be in the minority on that one it seems!

Are you sure?

I'm fairly sure it was Triple H Vs Shawn Michaels, 3 stages of hell for the World title, with Shawn Defending due to him winning as the first Elimination chamber at SS of that year.

EDIT: It was Armageddon 2002!

After imagining for years what RVD might be like in TNA, his match against AJ Styles was an amazing letdown. Well, all of his matches were.

Wasn't Armageddon the Triple Threat with HHH/Goldberg/Kane?

As for the thread title, I agree with the Lesnar/Goldberg suggestion. After the build up at The Rumble and the finish at No Way Out, it could have been a classic. The fact the the Brand Extension was actually adhered to made it feel all the more special too. But then Brock ruined it.

The Eddie/Benoit match that opened One Night Stand was a massive disappointment.

Goldberg/Lesnar was the biggest disappointment of your life. Not sure anyone else would count Goldberg as "great".

Steve Austin vs. Scott Hall from WM18 is another. Two of my favourite workers ever. Awful match.

I came in here to post Goldberg/Lesnar. Goldberg certainly wasn't a 'great' wrestler, but he was capable of having a very entertaining contest with the right opponent - namely one who was happy to go in there and have a match that involved smacking the shit out of each other. His best match was against Scott Steiner, and I saw no better modern fit for that type of match in 2004 than Brock Lesnar - especially coupled with the aura both men had at the time.

On the other hand, I thought 3 Stages of Hell was a great match.

Archived