Two rights make a wrong.

The Hitman

I always thought Eddie Guerrero vs.Rey Mysterio never really clicked during their feud in 2005. The WrestleMania 21 match was ok, but the storyline got a bit dull after that when Eddie turned heel. I remember the ladder match being particularly poor.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Are you sure?

I'm fairly sure it was Triple H Vs Shawn Michaels, 3 stages of hell for the World title, with Shawn Defending due to him winning as the first Elimination chamber at SS of that year.

EDIT: It was Armageddon 2002!

I think that's the one. Remember it being woeful.

Pretty much every Doug Williams-Rob Brookside match falls into this category. They weren't bad, just disappointing.

Never seen those two face each other, what went wrong in those bouts? I would have thought they would have been pretty special.

• Paid Members

One that really didn't click was, if memory serves, either Raven and Chris Jericho or Raven and William Regal. One or the other, anyway. I think it was Jericho, but a nagging part of my brain is saying it was Regal.

I know the obvious response is 'well, it was Raven', but this was a match that just really didn't work on the night, and both of them came away looking worse, and worked far worse than either of their normal matches.

Some of the time it can be that styles are too similar ala HBK vs Perfect where as said by Michaels many times they were both great bumpers/ sellers but they couldn't mesh that together as there was essentially nobody to lead

I'm sure they had a match before Summerslam 1993. Might have been on a Coliseum Video release or something, but I can remember it being an absolute scorcher.

Some of the time it can be that styles are too similar ala HBK vs Perfect where as said by Michaels many times they were both great bumpers/ sellers but they couldn't mesh that together as there was essentially nobody to lead

I'm sure they had a match before Summerslam 1993. Might have been on a Coliseum Video release or something, but I can remember it being an absolute scorcher.

Aye, it was back when shawn was a Rocker, World Tour '91 rings a bell, but could be wrong. It was a nice little match whilst it lasted during the Perfect/Bossman feud. I always remembered it for the spot with Shawn coming out of nowhere with the most mental dive you could imagine (for the time)

You could maybe put the Summerslam match down to their styles clashing to a certain extent, and I think that Perfect especially was a much better heel than face, but I think mostly it was just a rotten day at the office for the both of them, added to some really shitty booking with the anti-climatic ending coming out of nowhere before they even had the chance to build any drama or even have some nearfalls. There's matches from '93 between them from house show handhelds on the streaming sites that are still better than Summerslam.

• Paid Members

Seem to remember a Benoit/Angle match from one of the UK PPV's being a big disappointment. Anyone remember that one? I think it's the only 2/3 falls match in history where someone won 2-0!

Never liked a lot of Dibiase matches. For how brilliant he was at portraying the character, he never had particularly memorable matches. Razor Ramon was similar for the first couple of years.

This one is down to the booking more than the guys involved but i absolutely hate Steve Austin's comeback match against Rikishi. It's just OTT garbage.

Angle Vs Styles on the big Jan 4 episode of Impact, i seriously detest the whole "lets kick out of 20 finishers" mentality that Kurt seems to have for his match endings and i remember this one pissing me off badly. I'm sure there was a similar match with Jeff Hardy (who i do rate highly) and some stupid screwy time limit draw on top.

The Shawn/Bret WM12 match isn't actually all that bad, it's more uneventful due to the amount of time they had to do. The last 10 minutes are excellent.

On the other hand, the Survivor Series 97 match before the screw job is abysmal, whereas the match from Survivor Series 92 is pretty good.

Hogan vs Flair never did anything for me. Sting vs Bret Hart likewise.

• Paid Members
Seem to remember a Benoit/Angle match from one of the UK PPV's being a big disappointment. Anyone remember that one? I think it's the only 2/3 falls match in history where someone won 2-0!

Never liked a lot of Dibiase matches. For how brilliant he was at portraying the character, he never had particularly memorable matches. Razor Ramon was similar for the first couple of years.

This one is down to the booking more than the guys involved but i absolutely hate Steve Austin's comeback match against Rikishi. It's just OTT garbage.

Haven't seen much World of Sport then?!

Only other one I recall was Judgment Day 2007 where Benoit was pinned 2-0 by MVP for the US title. I thin this was also his last PPV appearance

• Paid Members

Haven't seen much World of Sport then?!

I don't think he meant it as a genuinely serious comment, I think it was more a flippant mention, as the majority of 2/3 falls matches do go to the 3rd fall, mostly because it's a bit of a pointless concept otherwise, doing a single fall would achieve the same end.

Archived