Two rights make a wrong.

The Hitman

I don't think they've ever had a classic match.

Any other Taker vs Edge match I get, but the one at 'Mania just dragged and I was so happy when he tapped at the end. It wasn't a classic for me.

This years 'Mania HIAC was a disappointment - HBK was too hammy, umpteen chair shots and no real belief 'Taker was going to lose. Last year's was much better imo

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Re the Edge/Taker Wrestlemania match, I seem to remember a comment from Edge at some point about it. Someone congratulated him on the match, but he seemed to think it was only "ok" or words to that affect. Anyone remember this? Not sure why he was so hard on himself.

Re the Edge/Taker Wrestlemania match, I seem to remember a comment from Edge at some point about it. Someone congratulated him on the match, but he seemed to think it was only "ok" or words to that affect. Anyone remember this? Not sure why he was so hard on himself.

I'd agree with Edge. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not great. I just didn't give a shit about it. That's probably partly the fault of the commentary team and maybe that they had to follow Flair vs. HBK and Big Show vs. Mayweather but god thatmatch is a drag. But then Edge has mostly been pretty bland to me.

Triple H vs Jericho springs to mind from WMX8 springs to mind. Triple H was hot property upon his return and it was great to see him back from an injury, Jericho was in the form of his career but even if this match didn't have the problem of going on after Rock-Hogan it just didn't leave the viewer with anything memorable, especially for a Mania main event. The matches these two had in mid 2000 were ten times better, I'm putting this down to the face-heel dynamic.

• Paid Members

Chris Jericho vs Rob Van Dam on several occasions. On paper it seems like the perfect fit for both competitors, but every time I've seen them have a match it's been painfully disappointing. For me this is the perfect definition of bad chemistry, they just always brought out the worst in each other wrestling-wise.

Come to think of it Chris Jericho vs a lot of people. I wouldn't call him a bad wrestler by any means, but there's just something about his approach that often doesn't gel with a lot of other peoples styles. He seems to have good matches when he's carrying someone, or when he's being carried, but put him in there with a good wrestler who isn't much better than him and you're asking for trouble. I was so relieved when his match against Punk ended up being as good as it was, I saw that match being a prime contended for the 'Jericho Curse'.

Bret Hart vs Vince McMahon from WMXVI. I'm not sure what I was expecting, and I understand why the match happened the way it did, but with how strong a story they had going into it they could have still had an extremely memorable match without having to break too much of a sweat instead of the forgettable one they ended up having.

Chris Jericho vs Rob Van Dam on several occasions. On paper it seems like the perfect fit for both competitors, but every time I've seen them have a match it's been painfully disappointing. For me this is the perfect definition of bad chemistry, they just always brought out the worst in each other wrestling-wise.

I thought their first PPV match was excellent. Certainly no worse than most of Rob Van Dam's matches, that's for sure.

For me, the first Jeff vs Tripper match when Jeff was hot. It was supposed to set Jeff up as number one contender, but made him look inferior to Trips and that he'd just pulled off a lucky win. Thankfully their matches got a lot better after that!

The one from Armageddon 2007? I love that match, the entire show is pretty good. As you said, their matches the year later gotbetter, but that one was still very good it's self in my opinion.

I remember really liking their match at King of the Ring, the one Jericho had a shitfit about when Meltzer or someone didn't give it five stars.

• Paid Members

I remember really liking their match at King of the Ring, the one Jericho had a shitfit about when Meltzer or someone didn't give it five stars.

That's the one I specifically remember being disappointed by. Looking at when the match happened I was probably in a teenage uber-smark phase where I though RVD vs Lynn was the absolute pinnacle of wrestling. I should probably go back and re-watch it, but at the time I thought it was pretty mediocre.

• Paid Members
Am I right in thinking that most Jericho - Stone Cold matches/encounters in tags were pretty underwhelming?

They had one that I'd put in the top two tag team matches of all time.

Is that HHH/Austin V Jericho/Beniot? It's just i saw it been talked about on Twitter earlier. Can't remember the match myself.

Archived