The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I love looking at the things in the canned food isle in a massive tesco's, breakfast in a tin, a steak in gravy and all that. Really curious but haven't got the balls to try them, anyone partaken in such delights?

Tried the "Big Breakfast" and "Full Monty" ones. They're alright, they're just variants on baked beans with franks. Nothing offensive, nothing special.

I love looking at the things in the canned food isle in a massive tesco's, breakfast in a tin, a steak in gravy and all that. Really curious but haven't got the balls to try them, anyone partaken in such delights?

Tried the "Big Breakfast" and "Full Monty" ones. They're alright, they're just variants on baked beans with franks. Nothing offensive, nothing special.

I had chicken curry in a tin a while ago. Bought it on a whim beacsue the packaging looked better than most of these things. Was actually pretty nice, bunged it on a tortilla wrap.

Tesco's lasagne sandwich.

I did not know about this! I used to get microwaveable lasagnes for quick dinners on work days, (classy, I know) and was not above buttering up some white bread and having myself a very sloppy lasagne sandwich.

Yep. Tried a couple of these in my younger years: invariably terrible. I don

• Paid Members

That's ludicrous - that can't possibly sell, can it? I can barely understand the argument for pre-grated cheese (i.e. you want to make a REALLY quick sandwich, don't want to spend time grating or have a grater to wash up afterwards - or because you have to make a number of sandwiches quickly), but only just barely. Pre-fried onions? That's taking it into voice-controlled TV remote territory.

• Paid Members

I can't get the thought of that canned chicken out of my head and I feel like I'm going to spew just thinking about it. Who in their right mind conceptualized putting a whole chicken in pork pie flab and then canning it? That thing makes my occasional tin of steak and gravy look like 3 start ala carte dining at Madison Park by comparison.

Seems to be a fair amount of hot sauce chat. The one I use a lot is Dunn River's West Indian hot sauce. Spicy without blowing your head off and unlike a lot of hot sauces has an excellent taste. Also costs about 60p in Tesco as compared to Tobasco's much shitter version that costs about four times as much.

• Moderators
That's ludicrous - that can't possibly sell, can it? I can barely understand the argument for pre-grated cheese (i.e. you want to make a REALLY quick sandwich, don't want to spend time grating or have a grater to wash up afterwards - or because you have to make a number of sandwiches quickly), but only just barely. Pre-fried onions? That's taking it into voice-controlled TV remote territory.

That's not even the correct argument for pre-grated cheese... Grated cheese in a sandwich is shit. It should be sliced. Pre-grated cheese is for on the top of baked pasta dishes, and is often about the same price so you may as well since it saves a bit of effort.

I've bought it before.

• Paid Members
Winward and Encona are my two go-to West Indian hot pepper sauces, with Winward being slightly the hotter of the two, but Encona cleaning up when it comes to the flavour stakes.

I use Winward a fair bit to add some spice if I'm doing a tomato based pasta sauce from scratch. The Dunn Rivers one I usually use has a less thick consistency and tastes a bit more fruity (if that makes any sense whatsoever) so doesn't go so well with a rich sauce. Will definately give the Encona one a try though, seem to have some top flavours according to the website.

That's not even the correct argument for pre-grated cheese... Grated cheese in a sandwich is shit. It should be sliced. Pre-grated cheese is for on the top of baked pasta dishes, and is often about the same price so you may as well since it saves a bit of effort.

I've bought it before.

I've used grated cheese to make pizzas with the kids at work, much quicker and avoids any grater related mishaps. I must admit I do also buy it for home sometimes, it's purely for laziness really when I'm making a pizza myself or a pasta bake as noted above.

The fried onions I'll admit to buying as well but only for when my work has a big gala day and we do a snack bar type thing. Much easier for burgers or hot dogs etc than actually chopping and frying a whole laod of oinions.

• Paid Members

Just went to this great restaurant. Had a calarmari and seafood sauce and garlic bread starter, a seafood tagliatelle main course and about to have bakewell slices and custard to dessert. The name of this awesome restaurant? The kitchen. The chef? My lovely girlfriend.

Don't even ask me about the diet.