NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Awards Moderator
So the slowdown of this thread is an indication of NXT being slightly dull the last few weeks isn't it.

I enjoy every week, but it isn't always packed with things worth discussing. Now they are definitely in slow burn to the live show though, and the recent callups have hurt the roster. Beyond Bo, Paige and Enzo/Cass, my favourites have all migrated.

I hope the title match delivers. Personally I don't understand the fuss surrounding Neville at all.

So the slowdown of this thread is an indication of NXT being slightly dull the last few weeks isn't it. Maybe the novelty has just worn off but I'm hoping for some fresh characters to come in after the Network special.

Lance Storm made a good point on his last Alverez podcast about the crowd at NXT (that I've aped on Twitter). Almost all the over babyfaces started with cutesy heel gimmicks (Breeze, Enzo, Cassidy, Emma, Big E, Aiden English until they feuded him with Cassidy) and a lot of the straight babyfaces have fell flat (Bo Dallas and CJ Parker being the biggest examples who they've turned heel/are turning heel.)

Cesaro seems to get face reactions and even the utterly dull Ascension are starting to get ironically cheered/chanted for on the last few shows. Have to wonder after Emma's poor Raw debut how many of these gimmicks are going to translate to the main roster in front of a proper crowd.

Were Big E Langston or Emma ever presented as heels? I don't think so. Tyler Breeze isn't a babyface at all, neither Aiden English. Not sure what show you're watching, but a small handful of people in the crowd cheering someone doesn't automatically make them a babyface.

They haven't had many 'big' matches recently, due to saving them for the live special. There's a lot of guys in NXT at the moment who are just doing the house shows, who might freshen things up on the TV show soon.

I'd be very surprised if Neville doesn't win that ladder match.

• Paid Members

Ladder match seems custom booked for Neville to win, but I still think he's boring as sin and not sure he's a good choice for the champion. He's got a long way to go if he's ever going to be more than another Justin Gabriel.

I still enjoy NXT, but it does feel a little flat at the moment, with a few characters that really don't do much for me. CJ Parker is especially shit.

• Awards Moderator
Emma failed because they brought her in, in the completely wrong way. You don't make the shit dance the focus, it's just something that ironically gets popular over time. I'm a big fan of Emma on NXT and even that utterly pandering performance made me hate her a little.

She hasn't failed yet but yeah, that was the worst, most defeating way to bring her in.

• Paid Members
Were Big E Langston or Emma ever presented as heels? I don't think so. Tyler Breeze isn't a babyface at all, neither Aiden English. Not sure what show you're watching, but a small handful of people in the crowd cheering someone doesn't automatically make them a babyface.

Big E I felt was positioned as a heel in his early squashes until the 5 count got over but perhaps I mispoke on Breeze & English.

What I mean is the crowd have been positioning both as defacto faces and I don't think it's just a handful of them. It's subsided with English though because they smartly positioned him against Enzo/Cassidy who were in a similar boat.

I just think the Full Sail atmosphere is making establishing characters that will work on the big stage more and more difficult.

Edited by Benno

Emma failed because they brought her in, in the completely wrong way. You don't make the shit dance the focus, it's just something that ironically gets popular over time. I'm a big fan of Emma on NXT and even that utterly pandering performance made me hate her a little.

She hasn't failed yet but yeah, that was the worst, most defeating way to bring her in.

Oh yeah, I'll apologise there, she's not failed yet but I can see her failing if that continues. She should have debuted by having her be the rookie who beats AJ in a Non-Title match leading to an Elimination Chamber match. And all the while have the goofy dance be on the sidelines. It can be picked up by the announcers but never the main focus.

As for the Ladder Match, I'm calling a Bo Dallas victory. I think he's better with the belt than without it. Plus, based upon Corey Graves's promo, he's not forgotten about Neville, so this seems the perfect opportunity to make a name for himself.

Speaking of which, will there be a person happier at CM Punk buggering off than Corey Graves? You might as well put the merchandise on him and do a Fake CM Punk gimmick.

• Awards Moderator
As for the Ladder Match, I'm calling a Bo Dallas victory. I think he's better with the belt than without it.

Definitely. Bo is such great value in his current position. I think the gimmick is genius and it's only his mile-wide smile that can make it.

Can Bo's gimmick get over on the main roster? I think it works perfect in the more intimate Full Sail arena, but might struggle to land right when you scale it up. Having the title is almost a key part of the character, which is another sticking point.

I love Enzo but him getting injured has been a blessing in disguise for Big Cass.

We only really saw him standing there looking like Edge while Enzo used to do the pre-match promos and then look ordinary in the ring.

But these past few weeks I have enjoyed his mic work and really liked seeing him getting great crowd reactions messing about with Tyler Breeze's phone and singing with Aiden English. The live crowds are loving it and he has got over to pretty much the same level of Enzo.

I'm really looking forward to this NXT live special. Cracking card lined up so far...

Ladder Match - NXT Championship

Bo Dallas © Vs. Adrian Neville

The Rematch

Antonio Cesaro Vs. Sami Zayn

NXT Woman Championship

Emma Vs. Paige ©

Appearances by Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, John Cena, New Age Outlaws, Diesel

So the slowdown of this thread is an indication of NXT being slightly dull the last few weeks isn't it. Maybe the novelty has just worn off but I'm hoping for some fresh characters to come in after the Network special.

Lance Storm made a good point on his last Alverez podcast about the crowd at NXT (that I've aped on Twitter). Almost all the over babyfaces started with cutesy heel gimmicks (Breeze, Enzo, Cassidy, Emma, Big E, Aiden English until they feuded him with Cassidy) and a lot of the straight babyfaces have fell flat (Bo Dallas and CJ Parker being the biggest examples who they've turned heel/are turning heel.)

Cesaro seems to get face reactions and even the utterly dull Ascension are starting to get ironically cheered/chanted for on the last few shows. Have to wonder after Emma's poor Raw debut how many of these gimmicks are going to translate to the main roster in front of a proper crowd.

Exactly what I was getting at months ago using Emma as the prime example.