The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

There was a lad at my primary school called Lee Mulvey. Once, I won a packet of Hula Hoops in a little quiz. First time crisps had ever been spotted in school (looking back, surely people had crisps in packed lunches, but I don't recall that being the case in my primary school), so what a result! I thought I could lord it over everyone who had to wait until they got home to have crisps. But before I opened them, Lee Mulvey grabbed the bag off me and rubbed it on his mickey so I wouldn't want it back. He was the crisps-eater that day. And his older brother or uncle burgled our house when I was really young.

I still like him more than that gobshite Laura Mulvey, though. If I could go back in time, I'd write this for my A Level media coursework:

2zjhydd.gif

I think we need to go out and find some more pretentious types - maybe put an ad in the paper. Guardian, or Indy, I guess. "Pretentious twat needed, so that other pretentious twats can quack at him/her, and he/she can quack right back at them. Platonic ideals only need apply. GSoHubris."

We had a whole Clique of them at one point, whatever happened to them?

• Paid Members

Just for Flaming June, here's a change of pace from all the action stuff.

Die Hard (1988)

Die_hard.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 2

IMDB Rating: 8.3

What's it about?

In an unheralded Zola Budd tribute, Bruce Willis gets trapped in a tall building by Alan Rickman and friends while they try and nick some money. He's not having any of it. Reginald VelJohnson looks on, fat.

What do we say?

"Any film before or since is only a pretender to the throne of Die Hard."

That's what WeeAl said. Somebody else agreed with him, and seven others sort of agreed with him. Of course, Die Hard is one of those films that if you don't like it then I'm really not sure exactly what you want from a film.

It's violent, funny, well acted, well paced, exciting, it doesn't take long to get going, it's got a feelgood redemption ending, Johnson and Johnson, plus Alan Rickman's terrific German accent. "Zere will not be a 4!" Okay, you've got De'voreaux White pissing around downstairs being fucking irritating but no film is perfect.

It's not far off, though, is it? It was, at the time, quite a novel premise for an action film - the hero is unwittingly trapped by the bad guys and sort of has to beat them from within. It's a concept that has been nicked by a whole shitload of action films since, but none of them have really come close to matching the quality that was achieved here.

It's also John McTiernan's second film in the top 10, proving my point that for a while he really was a terrific director. He was also responsible for the second sequel, of course, and what a terrific film that is in its own right as well. The first sequel tends to get a mix of opinions although I really liked it - I though its main weakness, though, was that William Sadler paled into insignificance as the main bad guy compared to Rickman and, afterwards, Jeremy Irons.

But, going back to the original, as John Galt ( :( ) says, it is "the quintessential action film." And it really is hard to disagree with that, but it is a lot more than just an action film because it's also a great Christmas film ("It

The fact I wrote and recorded a grindcore song about Hans Gruber shows how much I love this movie.

Question for the UKFF- My Mrs is convinced that Die Hard With A Vengeance is the best of the franchise. I called her an idiot and told her she was wrong. Now like Gladders I'm fond of the first sequel, to the point where I'm willing to say it's my favourite, followed very closely by the original then the hugely under rated Die Hard 4.0 with Vengeance scraping the bottom of the barrel in last place. Anybody else agree with me? Last time I checked that was the order they were ranked on Rotton Tomatos aswell so some bugger must feel the same.

• Paid Members
Question for the UKFF- My Mrs is convinced that Die Hard With A Vengeance is the best of the franchise. I called her an idiot and told her she was wrong. Now like Gladders I'm fond of the first sequel, to the point where I'm willing to say it's my favourite, followed very closely by the original then the hugely under rated Die Hard 4.0 with Vengeance scraping the bottom of the barrel in last place. Anybody else agree with me? Last time I checked that was the order they were ranked on Rotton Tomatos aswell so some bugger must feel the same.

Of course you're wrong, there is absolutely no way at all that the sequel is better than the original! I like it, but it's not a patch on the original.

Edited by Gladstone Small

The fact I wrote and recorded a grindcore song about Hans Gruber shows how much I love this movie.

My rankings would be pretty simple. First to last = best to worst. Love the first 2. Really enjoyed With a Vengeance. And not that i'm looking for life-like realism or anything, but whilst 4.0 was ok for passing a couple of hours, it just seemed to get more ridiculous as it went on. To me It felt almost like a satire by the time it got to the end.

Of course you're wrong, there is absolutely no way at all that the sequel is better than the original! I like it, but it's not a patch on the original.

I think for me it's because I saw 2 first as a kid, then the first. 2 is a bit more fun for me, the shoot out at the skywalk, running about in the snow, fighting on the plane. Like I say I like it slightly more than the original (remember, it's favourite movie not best) but it's a very narrow margin. Hans Gruber is the best villain of the four movies by a long shot, he just steals the show.