The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

=44

Y Tu Mama Tambien (2001)

y-tu-mama-tambien.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 7.7

What's it about?

Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal take Maribel Verdu on a road trip, have a threesome and wank into a swimming pool.

What do we say?

"Coming of age teen films are my niche, and this is easily the best one ever made. It's about friendship really, but it's pretty groundbreaking in its portrayal of the bond between two late teenagers from different backgrounds."

So says WU LYF 4 LYF.

I got something different from it, mainly Maribel Verdu in the nuddy. If it just happened to be a good film as well, then that was likely to be a nice bonus.

It is really good as well. I wouldn't go as far to say it's 'groundbreaking' or anything like that or the best film of its 'coming of age' kind, because I just don't think that it is. Plus its starting point (which amounts to nothing more complicated than "Do you want to come on a trip?" "Nah, best not....oh, go on then.") is entirely unconvincing.

Despite that, its pretty free-wheeling approach to comedy, drama and erotica works strangely well, mainly because the three central protagonists are so good right the way through, and it has a satisfactory ending that ties things up remarkably well. It is also beautifully shot and has a surprisingly diverse and enjoyable soundtrack.

Good for a tug, too.

Some good bits!

Trailer

• Paid Members

I'm not going to stand for any more of this DPing that you and Seven are giving me over this naming and shaming, sir!Seriously though, it will take me a good while to go through all the entries again and do that, I'll try and do it at the end.You two :love:

• Paid Members

=42

Shaun Of The Dead (2004)

Shaun-Of-The-Dead-Posters.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 8.0

What's it about?

Pretty much like Spaced except with zombies and Bill Nighy.

What do we say?

When I went to see it with Mrs Small, she regaled me with the story of when she was in the toilets after the film, a girl was crying her eyes out about how much she loved Simon Pegg.

No relevance to anything else I'm going to say, but I thought someone might be interested. If we're being honest, the ITV channels showing it every 2 weeks hasn't exactly helped the film because familiarity almost always breeds contempt in cases like this. But if you're lucky enough to have caught it or bits of it less than 100 times in the last several years, the chances are that you will regard it as an excellent horror comedy.

In the last half an hour it very nearly falls apart, abandoning a lot of the comedy for tragedy and drama and upsetting the difficult balance that a really good horror-comedy always has to maintain to really work. But it just about saves itself with a good last 5 minutes and manages to not quite ruin memories of that fantastic first half an hour. Shaun's trips to the shops are absolutely brilliantly done, especially.

In terms of the cast, the real revelation is Dylan Moran as a slimy bad guy but more Nighy and Peter Serafinowicz would have made things even better. I'm still waiting for more Kate Ashfield in stuff, though.

Some good bits!