Survivor Series Memories

IANdrewDiceClay

I tell you what's ace about Survivor Series 88 as well - we all watched it on the Colisseum release cut to ribbons. I watched the entire thing on Youtube and some of it was dull as arses. Nice to watch, but some of the matches dr-a-g-g-e-d. Especial Andre vs Jake.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'88 was the business for me. I rememeber when I got my first WWF vhs there were pictures of all the other video covers inside the cover and Survivor Series 88, Summerslam 88 and the 1990 Rumble just looked awesome, when I finally got Survivor Series it didn't dissapoint.

As much as I don't like the more recent (anything after 2003) WWE stuff I really like the promo from Survivor Series 2007 where Triple H steals the whole thing by being funny as fuck. Clicky

Random Survivor Series fact Brutus Beefcake and The Honky Tonk Man were on opposing teams three years in a row from 1987-1989.

ted dibiase and warlord as well, 3rd annual dibiase,zues , PoP,4th annual grande finale , 5th annual flair mountie,dibiase,warlord

• Awards Moderator

This thread has got me in the mood to watch some Survivor Series matches this weekend. :thumbsup:

Starting with the traditional match from '99, I don't remember it at all, but it's Edge, Christian & the Hardys vs. Too Cool & the Hollys. Yay tag teams. I'll move on to '88 from there, I think.

EDIT: Team Mega Powers vs. Team Twin Towers watched, now onto Team Piper vs. Team Flair from (91? 92?) and then I'll go for Undertaker's debut, which will only serve to make me hope he'll show up this year.

Ted DiBiase: Like I've said a million times before, everybody's got a price for the Million Dollar Man, so without further ado, I will introduce to you now my mystery partner. Led to the ring by his manager Brother Love, weighing in at 320 pounds, from Death Valley, I give you THE UNDERTAKER!

Ted DiBiase: Like I've said a million times before, everybody's got a price for the Million Dollar Man, so without further ado, I will introduce to you now my mystery partner. Led to the ring by his manager Brother Love, weighing in at 320 pounds, from Death Valley, I give you THE UNDERTAKER!

They don

What is it with Undertaker and Casket Matches at Suvivor Series? He's had loads!

Also, if we're talking about the best Survivor Series matches, I give you this gem from 2000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDWFwOpFuHA

The Outlaws reuniting, R-Truth giving the greatest 2 minutes of offence he will ever muster, Billy Gunn somehow fighting back against 3 Radicalz at least 3 or 4 times. This match is fucking fantastic and for once, it's nothing to do with the Radicalz.

• Paid Members

My favourite Survivor Series memory is from The Dream Team vs The Million $ Team in 1990. No, not Undertaker's debut. The way in which Bret comes from being at a three to one disadvantage to being within a gnat's wing of surviving.

Left alone with DiBiase, this new menace the Undertaker and (ahem) Hammer Valentine, Hitman's goose looked well and truly cooked. Yes, he had a bit of luck when Undertaker foolishly got himself counted out because he hadn't grown bored yet of kicking shit of the son if a plumber - and who can blame him? - but then he neatly outmanouvred Valentine, and suddenly we had a match on. The gusto at which Bret - at the time a tag team wrestler, remember - took the fight to the Million Dollar Man, and came within a heartbeat of pinning him a couple of times, was one of the first stories I was 100% emotionally invested in. The ending was one of the best examples of all time of how to book a match, wherever you can - the guy you need to win does so, but the loser comes out stronger than he went in. Textbook.

Random Survivor Series fact Brutus Beefcake and The Honky Tonk Man were on opposing teams three years in a row from 1987-1989.

And you can trace where each man was in the pecking order but what happened in those three bouts :

1987 - Honky pins Brutus.

1988 - Both counted out, fighting each other.

1989 - Brutus pins Honky.

My favourite Survivor Series memory is from The Dream Team vs The Million $ Team in 1990. No, not Undertaker's debut. The way in which Bret comes from being at a three to one disadvantage to being within a gnat's wing of surviving.

Left alone with DiBiase, this new menace the Undertaker and (ahem) Hammer Valentine, Hitman's goose looked well and truly cooked. Yes, he had a bit of luck when Undertaker foolishly got himself counted out because he hadn't grown bored yet of kicking shit of the son if a plumber - and who can blame him? - but then he neatly outmanouvred Valentine, and suddenly we had a match on. The gusto at which Bret - at the time a tag team wrestler, remember - took the fight to the Million Dollar Man, and came within a heartbeat of pinning him a couple of times, was one of the first stories I was 100% emotionally invested in. The ending was one of the best examples of all time of how to book a match, wherever you can - the guy you need to win does so, but the loser comes out stronger than he went in. Textbook.

Spot-on. That's one my favourite moments ever in wrestling. Such an impassioned, engaging, note-perfect performance.

i love survivor series, one of my all time favourite ppvs. i own every one bar 93, 94, 97, 98, 01 and 02. got the older events laid out for flicking through tomorrow in and around watching chelsea/liverpool and the x factor. just this second ordered this years event on the sky box so im all set

• Paid Members

And you can trace where each man was in the pecking order but what happened in those three bouts :

The emotional investment is at an even bigger high after Piper tells the audience that Bret's brother died the day before. It's one of Bret's greatest moments and a beautiful humanization of a wrestling character for the then kids WWF audience.

The emotional investment is at an even bigger high after Piper tells the audience that Bret's brother died the day before. It's one of Bret's greatest moments and a beautiful humanization of a wrestling character for the then kids WWF audience.

after a few attempts in 88/89 i think while vince was in the back it finally dawned on him bret has to be put in singles competition full time

Archived