Survivor Series Memories

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Survivor Series this Sunday, and its got the return of the Rock. So in tribute, lets talk about how class the Survivor Series has been since 1987. Fair enough, it hasnt been up to much in years, but its still the Survivor Series. Also this could be the last ever Survivor Series. They were going to get rid of it thiss year, but had a change of heart. If this buyrate doesn't do well, the Survivor Series could get the axe, which would be a shame. It was always one to look forward to. Funny team names, unique characters banding together for the first time ever, about a million different colours blinding the viewer as they all made their entrance. Especially in the 80s and early 90s, the Survivor Series was a crackng PPV. If it wasn't for Survivor Series and Royal Rumble, wrestling figures would be useless. A lot of imagination could be used when it comes to the elimination matches. Rumbles and SS Elimination bouts were all I used to do when I had a dozen or so wrestling figures out to play with. I remember having a team called "TEAM USA" which featured the The Warrior, The Bulldog, Bret Hart and Andre. Geography was never a strong subject back then.

There were some belting teams. For example -

The Hulkamaniacs:

Survivor_Series_1989_-_Hulkamniacs_Team_01.jpg

There might not have been a cooler squad in wrestling history. Not now obviously. If you saw them all in 2011, you probably couldn't knit an oven glove if you used all their hair on their heads, but in 1989, they were brilliant. Jake was in his prime, Hogan was at his height in popularity and you had Demolition, who were always cool. What was strange about this was that Demolition ended up both doing clean jobs, even though they were the tag champions and Jake Roberts ended up taking a pin fall for his main rival, yet 3 of the Million Dollar Team were DQ'd. They usually would do that with the LOD or some other top babyface, not the heels.

The Warriors:

Survivor_Series_1990_-_Warriors_Team_01.jpg

Closely followed (or beaten by a country mile, if mustaches and bondage gear wasn't yout thing), was The Ultimate Warrior, Kerry Von Erich and the Legion Of Doom. The picture says it all, but these four looked the business. Giant, painted up, steroid freaks with mental hair and more than a touch of colour. Just look at that picture. Awesome.

There was some crap as well obviously:

The Alliance:

Survivor_Series_1990_-_Alliance_Team_01.jpg

The only Alliance worse than the one that had Rhino and Chuck Palumbo as the muscle. Fucking rotten. The antithesis of the Warrior Team. Elbow drops and clothes lines and other nothing moves got rid of these fuckers. Sgt Slaughter took a DQ loss, even thought he slapped though this group of pisswits with ease. You needed someone to put doubt in the minds of the little ones that Hogan and Warrior had a chance of losing in the Match of Survival at the end of the PPV though, so Tito at least did one job by the end of the night.

Best Survivor Series:

Survivor Series 1988 was my favourite for years. You had a main event Bossman, Savage and Hogan in it. All at their best physical prime, all at their most over. WWF could do no wrong as far as the big angles went in 1988. Then you had that 40-odd minute 20 man tag team match featuring every big team in the WWF. It showcased the lot of them. Everyone paced their moves so well it didn't look like a complete cluster fuck, although everyone though Mr. Fuji had turned face at the end of it. And you had Andre kicking off at the end of the Snakes vs French Blokes match.

Survivor_Series_1988_-_Hogan_Team_Vs_Boss_Man_Team_05.jpgSurvivor_Series_1988_-_Demolition_Team_Vs_Power_Of_Pain_Team_11.jpg

But Survivor Series 98 was the best Survivor Series ever. Just brilliant from start to finish, it was WWF storytelling at its finest. I dont think they had done a better PPV up until that point. Its the only PPV I remember being completely glued to and kept watching for days. Even WrestleMania's I'm mostly wanting to fast forward until the big matches come on. Survivor Series 98 had about a thousand twists and turns all making sense and ending a bunch of storylines with question marks at the end opening up a whole host other others. Fucking excellent:

Survivor_Series_1998_-_Steve_Austin_Vs_Mankind_01.jpg

Other shite worth of note:

Boss Man Pissing Through Nailz with Ease:

Survivor_Series_1992_-_Big_Boss_Man_Vs_Nailz_01.jpg

As I said in my tribute to the Boss Man, after the Boss Man got beaten within a handcuff key away from perminant paralysis, I thought Nailz was going slap him about. But Boss Man showed up and completely arsed it with no bother whats so ever. It was probably the same feeling got when Man City beat Man United 6-1. I was expecting a hard match, but Boss Man manned it.

You next ...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved all the early Survivor Series' from the first one to 91. The 1992 Survivor Series is one of my biggest disappointments in wrestling history, purely because they scrapped the team warfare. If you look at all the Pay Per Views of 92, they were all sublime except this steaming pile of shite. The tag match was great, but it would have been better with Warrior in it, and the criminally underrated or forgotten Bret V HBK main event. That aside, it didn't feel like a big event at all that year, I think they missed the Hulkster massively too.

1993 wasn't much better looking back, but at the time I bloody loved it as it was a return to the Survivors matches. The opener was also class, and it was Bobby Heenan's last PPV in the WWF. The rest of them till 97 sort of blend together into mediocre for me, but I'll always love the Survivor Series, for Survivor's Matches and that fabulous old theme music they used to use for it.

• Paid Members
The Warriors:

Survivor_Series_1990_-_Warriors_Team_01.jpg

Closely followed (or beaten by a country mile, if mustaches and bondage gear wasn't yout thing), was The Ultimate Warrior, Kerry Von Erich and the Legion Of Doom. The picture says it all, but these four looked the business. Giant, painted up, steroid freaks with mental hair and more than a touch of colour. Just look at that picture. Awesome.

This is my favourite SS team ever, without a doubt.

They've become even better for me as I've grown older and more knowledgeable by the fact that the team is The Warriors, made up of the Ultimate Warrior, the Modern Day Warrior, and the Road Warriors, even though Tornado & LOD didn't use those names in WWF. I hope that was the reason they ended up together though, and someone felt really chuffed with themselves backstage.

• Awards Moderator

Do we have to only talk about the old-fashioned set-up? Hopefully not, because one of my favourite Survivor Series is the 2002 one. Decent opening match despite Jeff Hardy being shite with his timing, Kidman and Noble turning out a cracker, the three-way tag team was superb, Show Vs. Lesnar for as short as it was, was well executed and the first Elimination Chamber topped the show. Even the birds' scrap was decent. I don't think I need to remind anyone about some lunatic asking for a fucking mic, either.

Aside from that, one of my favourite matches of all time is Hart Vs. Michaels, but not that one. The one in 1992. It was sound.

Do we have to only talk about the old-fashioned set-up? Hopefully not, because one of my favourite Survivor Series is the 2002 one. Decent opening match despite Jeff Hardy being shite with his timing, Kidman and Noble turning out a cracker, the three-way tag team was superb, Show Vs. Lesnar for as short as it was, was well executed and the first Elimination Chamber topped the show. Even the birds' scrap was decent. I don't think I need to remind anyone about some lunatic asking for a fucking mic, either.

Aside from that, one of my favourite matches of all time is Hart Vs. Michaels, but not that one. The one in 1992. It was sound.

Good man Frankie, the 1992 HBK vs Bret match was superb.

I'd say that 2002 is my favourite Survivor Series in the more recent ones, that Chamber match is still my favourite one ever. Even HBK's shit coloured tights couldn't ruin that one.

I loved how the openers were always fucking blinding with a shithot crowd. My first was 90, 91 was class, 93 and 94 are probably two of my favourite matches ever (especially 94 - it's the reddest match of all time from a colour standpoint for one, and every cunt in there is absolutely on fire) and 95 and 96 were just full of that brilliant mix of shit characters and ace wrestling that made up mid-90s WWF.

Survivor Series 95 is one of the WWF's best PPVs ever in my opinion. Bret and Diesel tear it up on top, the opening and Wildcard matches are fucking belting, Mr Perfect brings some class sexism to some birds match, and Taker rips through the midcard in glorious fashion.

As Ian mentioned, 98 is a pretty flawless show and is inarguably Vince Russo's finest hour.

Like most good things in wrestling, it's always worth checking your Shawn Michaels collection. There's some all-time Survivors performances in there. Warlord backdrops him to heaven in 90 and he beautifully rips the piss out of the Harts in 93. As he did through half of 94, he's the most entertaining guy in the match despite barely getting in the ring, and he puts in world class shifts in the wildcard match and title defense against Sid in 95 and 96 respectively. He's an absolute hero in 03 Survivors match (where the heels rid Raw of the dreadful Steve Austin for all of about ten minutes), and he rocks your fucking cock in the comedy DX/RKO hammering of 06. Actually, that Triple Threat with Cena and DX was class too.

Survivor Series is ace. Like the Rumble, I could watch any show from any year and almost definitely be entertained by something on there. As a snapshot of the roster at the time and a way to see odd pairings, the shows age fabulously well.

Totally agree with the comments about 92, bret shawn was good but having no traditional survivor series matches hurt the card.

2002 felt really fresh with all the titles changing hands, the debut of steiner, debut of the elimination chamber and brock throwing big show around was awesome.

Think my favouite year for traditional survivor series matches was 1990, debut of taker, lod/tornado and warrior were awesome although it was pretty much the end of demolition. Liked the idea of the survivors finale match and wish they had kept that going forward.

On a seperate note i was pretty gutted when the braggin rights ppv got changed, the main event felt like what i imagine a survivor series finale match would be like now had they have continued it from 1990.

• Paid Members

I loved SS 96.

It was ahead of its time imo. 1996 WWF was still cartoon kiddy TV. A few times they let loose on PPV (HBK vs Nash and Mankind that year spring to mind) and Pillman with a gun on Raw but I always looked at that Survivor Series as the beginning of the shift into the edgier stuff in 97 and beyond.

You had the return of Bret Hart in a tremendous heated match with Austin, the MSG crowd cheering Sid over HBK, Sunny slagging people off and Vince and JR bickering on commentary having little insider digs at each other, Undertaker /revamping his look a bit. Debut of The Rock. And Sid screaming 'FUCK YOU' to HBK infront of the cameras...twice.

I don't have a lot of my original VHS tapes but i couldn't chuck this one out.

Survivor Series 03, Team Austin vs Team Bischoff. It was in my opinion the greatest Survivor Series elimination match ever for two reasons,

The first being Shawn Michaels' finest in ring performance, this is the match that made me realise that, in my opinion, he was the greatest to ever pull on a pair of boots, no one has ever played the babyface in peril better than HBK that night and I doubt they ever will.

The other reason being Scott Steiner steiner-lining Bubba Dudley, then giving Booker T the finger and shouting "Fuck you Booker T" for absolutely no reason, further strengthening the opinion that Big Poppa Pump is awesome

Got Croydon Cable tv in the summer of 88, which became Telewest, which I think is now Virgin.

One of the first PPV's shown around December 88, on the Sky Channel, precursor to Sky 1 was Survivor series 88.

From Scenic Cleveland, Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse the Pilgrim Ventura holding court

4 well worked matches, highlight of course the amazing 20 man tag team match

Brilliantly played out, all men played a part & the fabulous double turn at the end.

One of my favourite matches of all time, last WWE appearance by dynamite I think.

Archived