Survivor Series Memories

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favourite Survivor Series memories was when I was just getting into wrestling, and asked my mum to get me some WWF and WCW videos fro Christmas. One of which was SS 88. We got these from Woolworths, and just by chance I decided to look inside the box on the way home, and found that the staff member had put SS'91 in the box instead, and even better, the video wasn't sellophaned up!

That night, I managed to get half that PPV watched including team Piper vs Team Flair, Team Hacksaw vs whomever (I can't remember, and Hacksaw and Slaughter bore me to tears) and Taker vs Hogan.

My mum then managed to swap it, so just after Christmas, I saw that amazing 20 man match. Shame it doesn't look like the tag team division will ever be strong enough to put a match like that on again.

On a seperate note i was pretty gutted when the braggin rights ppv got changed, the main event felt like what i imagine a survivor series finale match would be like now had they have continued it from 1990.

To be honest, when they were thinking of dropping SS, I wondered why they didn't merge the PPV's. You could end up with a 6 match SS card:-

4 either 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 SS matches, each with one SD team, one Raw team.

A Divas SS match to break things up, and give the guys from the 4th match a rest.

The Bragging Rights match, with the Survivors of the earlier 4 matches.

Seems simple in theory. Some of the best SS matches have been when there's been something on the line, i.e. Austins career, WWE vs The Alliance, and even SD vs Raw.

To be honest, in this day and age, I can't see why they can't go back to the old format. We'll probably get Show/Henry and Del/Rio Punk again at TLC, so why not have them in SS matches tonight?

Also, if they are thinking of having D-Bryan cash in MITB, having Henry in a SS match would be a great way to do it without weakening him. Have him teamed wth a bunch of jobbers who get beaten fairly quickly, then have him having to take on 5 on one odds, and then nearly pull it off. Then, when he's knackered after that, out comes D-Bryan!

Anyway, sorry to go off topic, back to great SS moments!

To be honest, in this day and age, I can't see why they can't go back to the old format.

Because nobody except Internet Nostalgia Men gives two shits about seeing singles wrestlers in big team matches anymore. It was a great novelty in the late eighties, now it's an average TV main event. The Survivor Series wouldn't have worked back then if the TV shows had featured competitive matches for years.

Survivor Series 1999 has to be one of the single most absurd shows of all time. It's choc full of bizarre traditional style matches, a hit and run angle, and plenty of backstage Test standing around. It used to be a favourite of mine to throw on along with any Royal Rumble match when we had people in the house smoking and drinking and just wanted some character filled, fast paced sports entertainment shit to poke fun at.

1998 and 2003 are without a doubt my two favourites of all time though. Obviously 1998 and it's multi faceted, layered one night storyline [which in itself was part of a months long multi faceted, layered storyline that would lead all the way to WrestleMania XV and still stands as the best booking WWE has ever done] has been much lauded here and elsewhere but I think 2003 is a cracker too. The Smackdown elimination is a nice opener, Goldeberg and Triple H sort of club each other around for a bit [awesome if you loved fat, silk shirt Game clubbing people around on PPV in 2003], Vince gets just riddiculous juice in his match with 'Taker, the Basham Brothers are on there somewhere and the Raw elimination match is just superb storytelling.

Shawn Michaels is the man. I miss 2003 WWE :(.

To be honest, in this day and age, I can't see why they can't go back to the old format.

Because nobody except Internet Nostalgia Men gives two shits about seeing singles wrestlers in big team matches anymore. It was a great novelty in the late eighties, now it's an average TV main event. The Survivor Series wouldn't have worked back then if the TV shows had featured competitive matches for years.

Apart from the fact 2 PPV's last year had 7 on 7 elimination matches as their selling points (although stupidly, not the actual Survivor Series PPV!)

• Paid Members
Apart from the fact 2 PPV's last year had 7 on 7 elimination matches as their selling points (although stupidly, not the actual Survivor Series PPV!)

And the fact the buyrates for Bragging Rights were utter gash, hence they dropped the gimmick this year.

• Paid Members
My favourite of all time has got to be 1996 though. I enjoy some of the early ones from a nostalgiac point of view mainly, but nothing compares to the overall quality of show they put on at MSG back then. One of the best matches of the decade, a super fun main event with a mad crowd, and a really good Taker/Mankind match which is pretty much forgotten such was the quality of the other matches. The traditional matches didn't disappoint either with a load of debuts, surprises, neat moments and decent action.

There was loads of cool shit through the show; Sunny, Jake getting some revenge on The King, seeing the Superfly splash (and slamming Vader), Batman, Flash Funk with Funkettes and that mad dive, Sunny

My favourite Survivor Series memory is from The Dream Team vs The Million $ Team in 1990. No, not Undertaker's debut. The way in which Bret comes from being at a three to one disadvantage to being within a gnat's wing of surviving.

Left alone with DiBiase, this new menace the Undertaker and (ahem) Hammer Valentine, Hitman's goose looked well and truly cooked. Yes, he had a bit of luck when Undertaker foolishly got himself counted out because he hadn't grown bored yet of kicking shit of the son if a plumber - and who can blame him? - but then he neatly outmanouvred Valentine, and suddenly we had a match on. The gusto at which Bret - at the time a tag team wrestler, remember - took the fight to the Million Dollar Man, and came within a heartbeat of pinning him a couple of times, was one of the first stories I was 100% emotionally invested in. The ending was one of the best examples of all time of how to book a match, wherever you can - the guy you need to win does so, but the loser comes out stronger than he went in. Textbook.

I know I've said this before but the look on Bret's face and the way he mouthed "fuck" as Dibiase's music hit looked like the legitimate reaction of a bitterly disapointed loser and went a long way to making me think I'd seen a genuine sporting contest.

Looking back the word fuck was unthinkable on TV back then. Anyone know if Bret got in trouble for that or if it was scripted? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPtcxjtkVA it's 14:17 in the video.

Archived