UFC on Fox II

Adam619

• Paid Members

I can see some logic in putting Sonnen vs. Munoz on Fox. I guess the ideal situation for them would be a Sonnen victory, with him then getting all gobby about Anderson Silva again in the post-fight, this time in front of a massive network television audience. What would undoubtedly be a big PPV payday a few months later could become gigantic.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

To be fair, after what Ebb posted about Dana saying about easing the UFC into Fox & the mainstream, and David's point about Sonnen not being the kind of guy they want to present on Fox as a headline fighter it makes sense for them not to run with Sonnen/Munoz on network TV for the very reasons David listed (Criminal convictions, drug cheat etc). Much smarter for them to put something like Griffin/Bonner on there with 2 clean cut fighters & no real ammo for their detractors.

Junkie are reporting Paul Sass vs Evan Dunham is being targeted for this show.

This is posted like 4 posts before yours.

Marvellous, doing a Tilde Guy! That'll teach me for only reading the page that we're on and then checking to see if the first post in the thread has been updated. Lesson learned.

• Paid Members

Seeing as we're meant to be getting 4 fights on FOX this time, with the Rashad vs Davis main event, what does everyone reckon the other 3 fights will be? The rumours were Sonnen/Munoz and Ellenberger/Sanchez but Sonnen's shot the first one down and the other fight is headlining the first FUEL show.

I think the main card will look something like

Rashad Evans vs Phil Davis

Scott Jorgensen vs Renan Barao

Evan Dunham vs Paul Sass

Struggling to think of a 3rd, unless they do the Griffin/Bonnar 3 fight. Most names are booked already. Wasn't Florian meant to be going back to 155? Maybe Florian vs Siver?

• Paid Members

FOX 2 is looking good. Bisping vs Maia is the fight we expected, I'm looking forward to that one. Shouldn't be a lot of trash talk though, Maia's one of the nicest guys in MMA.

I'm taking Bisping to win, probably a decision. If Maia can get him down though who knows? He's got the skills there to catch anyone. His standups come on a lot aswell.

• Paid Members
If Maia gets Bisping down, he'll get a submission. I pick Maia to win via sub in the 2nd.

Maia can submit anyone in MMA, even at higher weights. I remember Frank Mir saying he felt like a blue belt after rolling with him.

Maia's not submitted anyone since Marquardt knocked him out though. Partly cos he's been working more on his boxing in fights and partly cos his opponents know to be super defensive on the ground and won't open up for fear of getting caught so it turns into a stalemate. Not saying he won't catch Bisping but Bisping's got pretty good BJJ defense and won't be easy to take down. Aside from that beautiful throw on Sonnen, Maia's takedowns have been pretty sub par.

• Paid Members

I think Bisping/Maia could end up being a bit of a non-event like Silva/Maia was. Bisping seems to like counter punching & would like to out-box him whereas Maia will want to get Bisping to ground as quickly as possible without getting caught. Is this a 5 round fight? If so, I'll pick Maia by sub in the latter rounds, if it's just 3 rounds I'll pick Bisping on points

Maybe 6 or 9 months ago I'd have picked Bisping to outbox Maia easily and win the decision, but I think Maia may have just enough to trouble Bisping on the feet and get the fight to the ground. If that happens, I don't see Bisping getting anything from the bout.

I hope I'm wrong though, as I'd like to see Bisping get a crack at the belt. Say what you want about him, but he's fucking earned it.

• Paid Members

It's a tough match-up for Bisping no doubt, IMO it all hinges on Bisping being able to either stuff a couple of takedown attempts in the first round or get up quickly once Maia has taken him down. This will take the wind out of Maia's sails & Bisping will be left to outstrike him. As improved as Maia's stand-up game may be I still think Bisping outclasses him on the feet.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived