Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Pat Tanaka is currently using it on my run of 1997 Nitro.

Glacier squash? That imposing tune heralding the dumpy guy from The Orient Express shuffling his way down the ramp is glorious in its "WTF"ness for anyone watching that back who only knows it as Goldberg's.

I always found it amusing that Renegade and Marc Mero were using the same stock piece for their entrance music at the same time. Well, not that Renegade was getting many entrances in late 97, but still.

• Paid Members

On a similar note didn't the same theme the Hollywood Blondes used also end up as the theme for Jake Roberts, Hardcore Hak, Blitzkrieg, Marty Janetty and a fuck-ton of other people.

I remember having a massive debate with my mates aboug this at school when I was about 13, inevitably my geeky research/insistence lost out to being called a gay. Ah secondary school!

• Paid Members

In fact, Damian Marley used a sample of it on one of his songs.

I'm not going to die happy until I find this song now.

Edit: didn't take long. Imagine if this were 2004, I'd have spent fucking hours scouring every website imaginable.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

On a similar note didn't the same theme the Hollywood Blondes used also end up as the theme for Jake Roberts, Hardcore Hak, Blitzkrieg, Marty Janetty and a fuck-ton of other people.

Blitzkrieg and Marty definitely used it. Hak used to come out to Mongo's old music.

• Paid Members

The Goldberg song was public domain I think. About 90 people had that theme before he did, and its popped up on all kinds of telly. In fact, Damian Marley used a sample of it on one of his songs. I always thought it was more WWE wanted to own Goldberg's theme rather than not being able to use it.

It was stock music, like a lot of the music they used at the time so anyone could buy a licence for barely anything and use it. Its more a case of WWE not wanting to have to pay out every time for its use. Especially in games and DVDs where it adds up quickly. Same reason they used to edit the hell out of peole's entrance music in some of the Wrestlemania DVD releases (Their biggest sellers) and the random non NWO theme in some of the older Smackdown games.

• Paid Members

Drives me fucking mad when I go to watch old Demolition matches and their entrance music is gone!!
I won't bother watching the match, because it's that theme that gets me all revved up to see them pummel some cunts back. I don't care unless that music is preceding it.

Blitzkrieg and Marty definitely used it. Hak used to come out to Mongo's old music.

Greg Valentine used it in his short run with WCW around 1997.

• Paid Members

Goldberg theme for people who scrobble to last.fm is "Invasion" by Christian Poulet and Jean-Yves Rigo. Booker T's theme was also done by a couple of French guys. Must be a lot of French stock music kicking about.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Fuck yes, I can't wait. Looks like I won't be cancelling my network subscription post-Mania after all.

I'm sure that will be the case for many people. Dare we say that for WWE, in an age where no one draws money, AJ Styles is a draw?

Only in the same way Daniel Bryan was a draw, at best.

He has appeal, but only to a particular type of a fan.

There's no one in Bumfuck, Alabama who likes Austin, Hogan and Cena exclusively, buying PPV's (or subscribing to the network) because of little ol' AJ..

As excited as I am it feels like the Cena/Owens feud. Which as great a series as it was seemed to happen exclusively on B shows and Owens just slid into place after it.

That being said what's a B show now? Money In The Banks probably an A. It's certainly bigger than Survivor Series.

Mental that in an age where the TV gets shat on for being so dull it seems like they hotshot stuff to get a subscription pop for the next month's PPV. I can see this trend getting stronger with more NXT guys coming up and the brand split building mini little cross promotional dream matches on the boil.

Edited by Gay as FOOK