Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

In theory; if i was to complain about about them plugging the network on commentary and it was upheld; would that mean that they would have to edit the mentions out of repeat broadcasts. Because i'd be all for that.

I remember Shawn Michaels on Big Breakfast, someone wrote in and asked what is middle name was as she was having a baby and wanted to name it after him. He said "well actually Shawn is my middle name, my real name is Michael Shawn" To which Johnny Vaughan piped up "Whats your real surname?" when Shawn replied "Hickenbottom" that cunt Vaughan thought it was the funniest thing ever and started going off on one "The Mighty Hickenbottom!" and stuff like that he was saying. I was begging HBK to smack him in the mouth!

Adam Rose has posted the following on Twitter.

I was not going to respond to my suspension but I feel I have to. I have two sons that will one day read that news about there daddy and a sister that died from complications related to a life long battle with heroin. 

So I feel the absolute need and right to respond and let the truth be known.

I am pretty sure this response will meet nowhere near the publicity that my suspension did and that this response is tantamount to career suicide. 
But I feel for my sons my sister and rest of my family... you the Wwe universe have the right to the know the truth over my suspension and what it was for. 

I will also quote my Dr in my response as he was as shocked and appalled by this suspension. 

I can say right now I did not do anything knowingly wrong and was taking prescribed medication that my Dr and I followed all the correct protocol on.

My actual response and Doctors response will be coming soon. So before you judge, know the facts. 

My family and I are still collecting ourselves from this blow. I have zero anger or animosity against the WWE. But feel the administrators over the WWE Welnness policy were just simply not right in taking this action. 

But I feel facts are the facts and my family and I will will be the ones putting our lives back together after this mess.

My response will be up soon along with my Doctors. 

I remember Shawn Michaels on Big Breakfast, someone wrote in and asked what is middle name was as she was having a baby and wanted to name it after him. He said "well actually Shawn is my middle name, my real name is Michael Shawn" To which Johnny Vaughan piped up "Whats your real surname?" when Shawn replied "Hickenbottom" that cunt Vaughan thought it was the funniest thing ever and started going off on one "The Mighty Hickenbottom!" and stuff like that he was saying. I was begging HBK to smack him in the mouth!

I remember that. Would've been mid 95-ish

I'd been thinking for years that Smacky D (cheers, Daz I think) should be the more wrestling heavy show. That looks like that may be how it's gonna go. Early years brand split SD was an excellent mix of story and wrestling, but it generally had more people who could put on a great match than Raw. If they can give Smackdown a different look as well as a different feel, they could be onto a winner. Could bring in some of the faces from the Global Cruiserweight tournament onto it, as well as some NXT guys like Joe. Maybe it's treading on NXT's feet a bit, but it'd be a halfway house between NXT and Raw.

• Paid Members

I don't really mind if they have a brand split or not, as they showed that they could do it well and do it badly; it's just a matter of how creative they're being.

However, the one thing I definitely know I hated about the brand split era was the two World championships. I just find it stupid to say "This guy is WWE Champion, he's the best in the world; also, this guy is World Heavyweight Champion - he's the best in the world". I'm probably in the minority, but it just dilutes it for me; it feels like there's no big prize for wrestlers to work towards.

Yeah, having two World Titles is stupid. The only time it vaguely made sense was when Punk and Sheamus were in a mini-feud, Punk as WWE champ and Sheamus as WHC, and Punk said to Sheamus something along the lines of 'at the most, being World Champ only makes you the second best in the world'. That's still relegating the status of one championship though which 50% of their roster are supposed to be aiming for. 

I don't agree with an official brand split at all to be honest, maybe they can just have an unwritten rule of certain guys can only appear on certain shows to give that show something unique. But if they were to go ahead with another brand split, having one champ across both shows is the way to go.

Imagine Reigns pedalling his 'I'm THE guy' line on Raw while Ambrose is World champion on Tuesdays. Stupid.

That belt's lovely. I don't mind the idea of them going in a totally new direction with Smackdown but I'm not too sure about a proper split in the roster again. I'd be happy for them to just make a clear divide in the way R+SD are presented, rather than SD just being the weekly B show.

As an example, make Smackdown the international show where it's aimed more at the non-US/global markets. Have your Luchas, British guys, Japanese wrestlers et al as the main bulk of the shows. As Sphinx said, it could be the wrestling heavy show. You could then give Raw more emphasis on storylines, promos, angles, character development and - yano - fun stuff again.

We've been spoilt with the quality of wrestling on Raw over the past few years but I'm not sure if the ratings are saying it's the way to keep going. They've been falling for long enough. SD can often feel like an extended 2 hours of Raw every week.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

I hate two world titles as well.

I would stick to one world champion and keep the IC on Raw & US on Smackdown as unique titles. 

I think the brand split could work, but not with two titles. 

Edited by Briefcase

On the subject of wrestlers appearing on TV to pimp live shows, one time in 1994 the Undertaker & Paul Bearer was on QVC helping sell WWF merchandise and my sister, whose birthday was coming up, got through to speak to both of them. As well as getting an Undertaker shirt for her birthday, my sister also got free of charge a framed autographed picture of Undertaker & Paul Bearer wishing a happy birthday - except that the birthday wishes were to my mother instead! Presumably because the account was in her name.

I still think there is life in a brand split, especially with all the new call ups and the guys returning from injury this year, but the shows have to have there own identity, like smackdown did in 02/03.

With PPV dying and becoming a thing of the past, I think the brand specific PPV's (or network specials) could work aswell, but good lord we only need one world champion. IC/US title's have as brand specific, World, Tag amd Womens have work across both shows.