Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Moderators
Former TNA wrestler Jessy Sorensen, who was nearly paralyzed by a broken neck a few years back, suffered a compound fracture of his ankle in a match on 5/17 in Sanford, FL. Apparently his foot got caught in the mat while executing a suplex and the leg snapped. He will be undergoing surgery later this week.

Source: Wrestling Observer

Unlucky sod.

• Paid Members

His mother has already went bankrupt following his last lot of medical bills. He's got no luck. But, he really shouldn't have came back. There's no future in the game for him. WWE would never hire someone who'd previously been paralyzed with a broken neck and TNA dont want him back. He was never going to make a living because outside of the odd shot here and there, nobody is going to take the risk on him.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Listened to that JR commentary. It's weird, he just sounds like he's commentating on Raw. He keeps calling the boxer "Cowboy" like he's say "the Viper" or "Stone Cold". He also used the "I tried to talk to this kid backstage but he was so focussed" line which wrestling uses a lot, i.e just making up fake conversations the announcers have had with the superstars.

He also used the "I tried to talk to this kid backstage but he was so focussed" line which wrestling uses a lot, i.e just making up fake conversations the announcers have had with the superstars.

I used to fall for this hook, line and sinker when I was younger. I really thought J.R would sit down with The Rock and whoever else backstage before the show and get their thoughts on their opponent that night.

• Paid Members

His commentary was okay, but he lacked the ability to actually call any technical moves or combinations. Instead of saying "Cowboy is pushing him backwards with jabs - nice body shot" or whatever, he was saying "Cowboy wants it baaaad! He's riding him like a rodeo bull!". JR sounds like JR to me, so I find it hard to know if he's good or not doing boxing, but how would boxing fans take that sort of commentary? Foe example, I can't imagine all those cliches being acceptable in the UFC when combined with zero technical knowledge.

Edited by herbie747

I used to fall for this hook, line and sinker when I was younger. I really thought J.R would sit down with The Rock and whoever else backstage before the show and get their thoughts on their opponent that night.

He'd kayfabe them for TV, but JR did have conversations with the wrestlers before the matches. One of the things he recommends wrestlers starting out in WWE do is to strike up conversations with the commentators to make sure they know your moves and certain things you're going to do in the match that you want them to highlight. The "he told me about this move today, he calls it the ______" type comments are often real.

He'd kayfabe them for TV, but JR did have conversations with the wrestlers before the matches. One of the things he recommends wrestlers starting out in WWE do is to strike up conversations with the commentators to make sure they know your moves and certain things you're going to do in the match that you want them to highlight. The "he told me about this move today, he calls it the ______" type comments are often real.

I guess that makes sense. Cheers for clearing it up!

Congrats to Kade Callous and Tiger Ali on winning the Welsh Heavyweight Championship and 4FW Heavyweight Championship respectively over the last few days.

10372130_735183873198403_4028661647237346958_n.jpg

10365843_707374669319930_8510340820288339461_n.jpg

Callous ended the 397-day reign of Stevie Starr at the Barry Memorial Hall, before 4FW Junior Heavyweight Champion Ali defeated Eddie Ryan at Thatcham Catholic Hall to become a double title holder.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell that's quite the payout.

Devon Nicholson Wins $2.3M Hepatitis C Lawsuit Over Abdullah the Butcher

Posted By: Ben Kerin on Jun 03, 2014

Source: cbc.ca

We have been reporting all year on the legal case of pro wrestler Devon Nicholson, who wrestles as Hannibal in Eastern Canada and claimed he contracted Hepatitis C from being bladed by Larry Shreve, better known as WWE Hall of Famer Abdullah the Butcher in 2007.

A judge ruled today that Nicholson did contract Hepatitis C and he was awarded a $2.3 million judgement against Shreve.

Nicholson was reportedly offered a three-year contract with WWE after a 2009 tryout camp but had his contract cancelled after WWE discovered he had hepatitis C.

In January 2014, Nicholson revealed experimental treatment cured him of hepatitis C.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay