Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
I mean how many bonified stars have WWE really created since 2004? Really there's only been Cena, Batista, Orton and Edge and to a lesser extent Punk in the last 10 years.

Never seen it myself to be honest. Punk would be ahead of Edge in any pecking order in my book anyway.

Punk didn't keep the belt to sell a t shirt. He kept it as the rocks story was that he was coming back to beat the guy one else could get the belt from. Telling the casual audience that rock is Going against a guy who has has the belt for over a year is a bigger sell than, oh he won it back a few weeks ago. Ryback was over because he was a different guy going against punk. He's not good enough for a long term push as he's limited in ring and on mic

Exactly, the Rocks match was set up in July and it was what he specifically wanted. If there were no plans going forward from HITC then Ryback would have gone over.

I mean how many bonified stars have WWE really created since 2004? Really there's only been Cena, Batista, Orton and Edge and to a lesser extent Punk in the last 10 years.

Never seen it myself to be honest. Punk would be ahead of Edge in any pecking order in my book anyway.

I think WWE would put Edge above Punk though. I mean look how many World Titles Edge won compared to Punk. Granted Punk's 434 title reign was probably longer than all of Edge's put together but still.

• Paid Members

I'd put Edge ahead of Punk at least in terms of recognition. He was in WWF Attitude and had an early Jakks figure with Jeff Jarrett's body on the market. He was around for so long and had all kinds of different peaks in that 15 years. Edge seems to get a lot of respect because he broke through when there was Cena, Batista, Orton, Undertaker, Booker T, Big Show, Mysterio, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Triple H and loads of others in those main event positions. That was some climate to break through.

Never been the biggest Edge fan, but Cena was far better after working with him in 2006 than before. That feud was the best thing he'd done up until that point.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I think WWE would put Edge above Punk though. I mean look how many World Titles Edge won compared to Punk. Granted Punk's 434 title reign was probably longer than all of Edge's put together but still.

And then there's all Edge's accomplishments during the Attitude Era with E&C. That spear on Jeff Hardy at WMX7 was a bigger career moment than Punk's reign as WWE Champ where Cena main evented over him for a year.

Edge has Punk beat before you even compare them as contemporaries. I personally like Punk more, but Edge is the bigger star, especially in WWE's eyes. Punk has a great statistic to his name, it's in the record books, but it's also really easy to overlook in the eyes of the brass and the casuals. Look at how often Bruno Sammartino's name was brought up by WWE before the HOF induction.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

Punk didn't keep the belt to sell a t shirt. He kept it as the rocks story was that he was coming back to beat the guy one else could get the belt from. Telling the casual audience that rock is Going against a guy who has has the belt for over a year is a bigger sell than, oh he won it back a few weeks ago. Ryback was over because he was a different guy going against punk. He's not good enough for a long term push as he's limited in ring and on mic

So essentially, what you're saying is that WWE knew two things going into that match: 1. Ryback is dead if he loses here. 2. CM Punk is completely fucking useless and can't draw a dime even against The Rock unless he holds the title for 434 days. And of the two limited, useless-without-megapush performers, they chose to kill the new guy to protect the old one. Which only further supports my point.

Having Ryback lose wasn't necessarily the problem. All things taken into account, that was the least messy option. The problem was with the fashion he lost. He should have beaten Punk to an inch of his life but there wasn't that oomph there at all. The match felt flat (was there another HIAC or good match on before? I can't remember but am sure there was which deflated the fans).

Its a shame The Shield didnt debut at Hell in a Cell by cutting through the cell and beating down Ryback, could've been a strong ending to the PPV

I think their debut was always planned to be in that triple threat with Ryback, Punk and Cena at Survivor Series as a way of Ryback not winning but still never having been pinned. The death of Ryback in the cell worked out well for The Shield, because if WWE hadn't killed him, he'd probably have given The Shield a right hiding after they cost him the title. As it was, when it came time for him to seek revenge on them, WWE could just go "well he's fucked anyway now, we might as well get these boys over."

• Paid Members

I don't think the loss to Punk ruined Ryback. He came out of the TLC PPV that year looking like a million bucks.

What ruined Ryback was coming out no. 30 in the Royal Rumble and doing nothing of note instead of coming out earlier and eliminating loads of guys. And then the following month doing the job against The Shield at Elimination Chamber...why they didn't make Shaemus do the job I have no fucking clue. Ryback never got his revenge on The Shield which made him look like shit. Then he lost to Mark Henry at Wrestlemania in one of the stupidest and most nonsensical booking decisions I can think of. Then the next night they rushed him into a heel turn he wasn't ready for. The 4 month period is probably a textbook example of how badly booked WWE is these days. They should be fucking ashamed.

• Paid Members

Ryback's upward mobility died at Hell in a Cell. TLC and Royal Rumble were just diminishing returns. After HIAC they were dragging a rock up the hill to try and get him back to where he was the week before. Ryback was a lightening in a bottle wrestler. You cant get the likes of him back over when he gets hot. You have to protect him. You can get Bryan back in the position he was in, because he's a great wrestler and an underdog. When Ryback got beat via clich

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay