Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Any decent company that does PPV has projections, if the final number falls below that projection it's considered a bit of a flop. WWE always make money on PPV, but they thought they'd make a lot more off The Rock in his pants (with Cena) fighting a couple of blokes. It's the same with that Lesnar number at Extreme Rules, they still made good money (more than the year before) but they projected they would make more off a Lesnar/Cena 'dream match'.

• Paid Members

Listening to last night's F4W audio show, the ad spend for Rock was so high that at one point it looked like they'd lose money on the show and they wound up making the smallest profit any any PPV ever.

Oddly enough, Meltzer also suggested WWE may have considered the Rumble buyrate a disappointment, contrary to pre-show predictions.

• Paid Members

Vince said during a shareholder meeting, when it was announced The Rock was wrestling again, that The Rock gets a percentage when he does good numbers for them. The details of that are open to interpretation, but I imagine he'll get a bigger cut of his merchandise than most etc. The bloke gets all the 'free' plugs he wants for his films too, so I'm sure that's considered.

The PPVs go for $45 each and both Survivor Series and Rumble did about 70,000 extra buys (compared to the previous year's event) which means $3.15 million extra. I have no idea what WWE's cut of that is after the providers take their chunk? I guess the final "extra profit" must still be a fair bit more than Rock is getting for the night, otherwise they'd be very disappointed.

Anyone know how much the PPV providers get from the retail price of a PPV in the USA?

Sorry, I was simplifying a fair bit there. I'm not sure whether the extra buys were domestic or international in either case. I imagine WWE's cut of PPV differs in the different markets they run anyway and without knowing how much they actually get (after everyone else takes their cut) it's pretty hard to get an accurate figure.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the numbers are flawed.

WWE make less money from an international buy (they charge less). A healthy chunk of the extra buys The Rock brings are from the international market.

As for the cut the PPV provider gets, I've read that it can be as much as 60%.

• Awards Moderator
Batista has a part in Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' film . He's playing a guy called Drax The Destroyer, which, presuming this batch of Marvel films follows the same pattern as the previous, means he might also turn up in Avengers Assemble 2. Edited by HarmonicGenerator