Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

7 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Don't see it at all but it'd be by far the biggest match they could do. It would get Reigns over to go over The Rock. However, it would get him over to the type of audience who go to house shows, watch Raw on TV and buy his merch already.

Speaking of merch. I read today that Roman is now ahead of Cena in merch sales (currently, not all time obviously)

Roman will just be a Cena V2 in that he will stay face despite the mixed reactions.

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members

I think Rock/Roman could potentially be a bit of a drag on the night. Picture it - You've already been watching it for about seven hours if you include the pre-show, and Rock STILL hasn't made his long entrance yet, and Roman always walks slowly, broodingly to the ring. Everyone with half a brain cell knows that Rock is only in town for the night and that Roman is winning it. The match has the usual feeling out process, and the crowd might still be hot for Rock initially, but it's not going to be a fast-paced romp of a match is it? It's going to be much more like the match with HHH in 2016. Slow, plodding with only a couple of bright sparks and the crowd will be knackered towards the end. The Rock is my fave, and the build up could be superb, but I don't think I can handle Roman at the end of another seven-hour marathon. 

On the subject of Roman, Dave reported that he has overtaken Cena as the company’s , and thus the entire industry’s (Dave said Cena numbers dwarf bullet club for example), top merch seller. It is sometimes easy to see why Vince chooses to ignore the fatties at the TVs.

4 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I think Rock/Roman could potentially be a bit of a drag on the night. Picture it - You've already been watching it for about seven hours if you include the pre-show, and Rock STILL hasn't made his long entrance yet, and Roman always walks slowly, broodingly to the ring. Everyone with half a brain cell knows that Rock is only in town for the night and that Roman is winning it. 

Everyone “knew” that Roman was winning at WrestleMania this year as well, only he didn’t. He loses big matches far more often than he should - any time there’s a huge main event where Reigns winning seems obvious and sensible, he has about a 50% chance, depending on what mood Vince McMahon is in that day. 

2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

On the subject of Roman, Dave reported that he has overtaken Cena as the company’s , and thus the entire industry’s (Dave said Cena numbers dwarf bullet club for example), top merch seller. It is sometimes easy to see why Vince chooses to ignore the fatties at the TVs.

But how much of those merch sales are because Roman is legitimately over (and I’m not saying he isn’t at all over) and how much are because the live show shirt vendors display is 50%+ Reigns merch ?

Its pretty easy to become the #1 seller when the 2nd, 3rd and 4th most popular acts stuff sells out after 2 minutes because it’s grossly under stocked.

I’m not trying to knock Roman either because I actually love the guy and of course he’s still popular as hell but I’m always a tad suspicious when when people talk like merch sales = the top guy when in reality the WWE marketing machine makes a hell of a difference.

4 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

The more merch you sell, the more merch they’ll produce for you. By the time someone has significantly more product available than everyone else, it’s because their sales numbers have driven it.

Yes of course but did your merch start flying off the shelves because of your natural talent and charisma or because the marketing machine was already heavily featuring you and thus already prepared to produce tonnes of merch in expectation of your impending success ?

Its a bit of a chicken/egg situation IMO. 

It depends, doesn’t it? If someone has enough internet points, then all of their success is down to themselves and their great charisma and moveset, and all of their failures are down to the company. If someone doesn’t have enough internet points, then pretty much the opposite is true. But it’s all a bit of a moot argument, only ever dragged out to discredit the likes of Reigns and Cena.

• Paid Members

Reigns has approx 54 different action figures alone, including repaints (might be more). That’s a bloody massive number.

He has 11 elite action figures, which is joint 7th behind Cena, taker, HHH, Kane, Seth, Randy, Rock (joint Ambrose).

So not including his shirts, posters, dog tags, etc, he has loads of figures, but I imagine he’ll have a fucking shit tonne of pencil cases and random crap that only the likes of Cena will get.

• Paid Members

Dave's guffaws regarding pop culture are tremendous. I still laugh to myself whenever I see an ad for a 'Friends' re-run, as it reminds of the time Dave thought that the UK was 10 years behind the USA in terms of media, as he walked past a book shop in England that had a massive display of Matt LeBlanc's autobiography at the front. He had walked past The Works.

Edited by Accident Prone