Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

It'd be nice these days to see some guys with backbone who don't just do all the shite presented to them. Doing it on TV in this environment is suicide though. Vince has achieved his halcyon. No one is indispensable. No one has the power to deviate from the script or touch his arm.

It's an odd thing - Edge and Christian bang on relentlessly on their podcast about how you can't be afraid of going off-script and doing what you think is right and changing things to create great spontaneous moments, and guests they've had like Cena say similar sort of things. But then you get stories like this, where the second anyone actually tries anything like that, they're sent home or suspended. No wonder everyone's so static and boring - it's all well and good saying 'take the ball and run with it' but that must be so hard when there's a 'but it's still my ball and you can take it and run with it as long as I've still got hold of it and you stay where you are' at the end of it.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It's an odd thing - Edge and Christian bang on relentlessly on their podcast about how you can't be afraid of going off-script and doing what you think is right and changing things to create great spontaneous moments, and guests they've had like Cena say similar sort of things. But then you get stories like this, where the second anyone actually tries anything like that, they're sent home or suspended. No wonder everyone's so static and boring - it's all well and good saying 'take the ball and run with it' but that must be so hard when there's a 'but it's still my ball and you can take it and run with it as long as I've still got hold of it and you stay where you are' at the end of it.

Nailed it. 

Exactly what me and my brother were saying to each other this morning.

The issue being how do talent interpret that? That seems to be the issue here at least anyway. 

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Zach Ryder is a good example of "taking the ball" with the whole internet show from a few years back. Yeah it didn't work out great in the long term, but it got him a short IC title run and probably kept him in a job longer than he would have been.

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, PSF said:

Zach Ryder is a good example of "taking the ball" with the whole internet show from a few years back. Yeah it didn't work out great in the long term, but it got him a short IC title run and probably kept him in a job longer than he would have been.

Didn't he end up getting humiliated by Eve and Kane on a weekly basis directly after that, then shoved off to obscurity and having to go to NXT to team with Mojo Rawley?

• Paid Members

Yeah, I got the impression with Ryder that a lot of the stuff he got booked in, or didn't get booked in, over the years was punishment for daring to get himself over outside the WWE's auspices. There was also that RAW that took place in New Jersey, everybody expecting Ryder to appear in his home town as he was quite over at the time, and Vince decides he's off the show "as a rib". Fucking child.

• Paid Members

I'm sure there was a massive element of that, but I also wonder what people think the upper limit for Zack Ryder was - it gave him a more sustained push, more TV time, and likely a longer career in WWE than any of his contemporaries. And the problem with his YouTube show is that his whole persona was that he was a goof, and a loveable loser - entertaining, maybe, but it's not a character that naturally lends itself to being booked to win a bunch of matches nearly as well as it lends itself to being the butt of the joke, and getting beaten up by Kane.

• Paid Members

Oh, I'm not one of those who believes he was ever going to get near the main event; upper midcard at absolute best. But seeing as it's not all that easy for just anyone to get over, it seemed to me to be WWE cutting off their nose to spite their face; they could've run with his popularity, built him up a bit, and used him as Deluxe Enhancement Talent for anyone they wanted to push to the main, rather than as just a basic jobber. As it was, it feels like they wasted his potential contribution to the company, just to show people who's boss.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I think the difference here is if they did just avoid bumping for the New Day. That's on a different level to ad-libbing or reacting to crowd chants. It's the sort of stuff that used to go unnoticed or the locker room would deal with (like Undertaker taking Matt Hardy to task that time) but it's so sterile now that it's practically a hanging offence.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Latest word (aka take with a grain of salt until it comes out) is that they were supposed to bump and feed for the New Day at some point in the segment and opted not to after debating it earlier in the day. One of those where they werent chuffed to be putting everybody else over to build them up for SS when they should be the hottest heels on the show right now.

Good, if this is the case. Nice to see a couple guys who value themselves and aren't just happy to be there. 

5 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Good, if this is the case. Nice to see a couple guys who value themselves and aren't just happy to be there. 

Its their job and they are working on a scripted programme. Not matter if they agree or not, they don't make the decisions and are being paid well to do a job that a lot of people would kill for. Maybe they are being booked wrong, but that's something to speak about in the back, not sort out on live TV.

Its a good job most actors or performers don't take this stance. Philadelphia would have been a bit shit if Tom Hanks suddenly decided  that the whole Aids thing wasn't doing his career any good and started acting like he just had man flu.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, PSF said:

Its their job and they are working on a scripted programme. Not matter if they agree or not, they don't make the decisions and are being paid well to do a job that a lot of people would kill for. Maybe they are being booked wrong, but that's something to speak about in the back, not sort out on live TV.

Its a good job most actors or performers don't take this stance. Philadelphia would have been a bit shit if Tom Hanks suddenly decided  that the whole Aids thing wasn't doing his career any good and started acting like he just had man flu.

Isn't the whole point of what they've done that they obviously don't feel they can speak about it in the back without repercussion? At least this way they can get ahead of Vince instructing the writers to shit all over them for wanting something better. If you're an actor or performer, you can make suggestions or challenge direction without worrying about if you're going to be fired or demoted.

Comparing them to actors or other performers in general doesn't work anyway; if you're a bigger name, you get to choose to a certain degree which films or series you want to do. If you're a wrestler, sure, a bigger name wrestler gets to choose certain things, but he's still at the mercy of Creative's/Vince's whims as regards where his career goes.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, PSF said:

You'd have cried your eyes out in 1997!