Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

could Bray easily go 6 months of getting himself over in promos and gaining a cult before returning to the ring though? His gimmick is definitely one that doesn't require him in ring, kinda like Punk's wasn't it when he got injured (I'm sure that statement's correct)

• Paid Members

Probably not. He hasn't even debuted yet. Nobody outside a few people who watched FCW and NXT know who he is. I doubt we'll see him again in 2012. Its not like they are even high on him, otherwise he wouldn't be on NXT. Dean Ambrose they are high on. Thats why they have kept him well clear of being labeled a token NXT bloke.

• Paid Members

The latest Bray Wyatt 'coming soon' vignette was shown on Superstars this week, so it seemed that WWE did have plans to bring him to the main roster soon enough. This set back is a disaster for him, who knows if they will still be interested in using him in six months.

I have yet to listen to today's Observer radio but I'm assuming the following statement - which was posted on their site - relates to something one of them said on the show? If that's the case, it's slightly odd that they would post the correction on their own site. Granted, it's not rare to see a newspaper or magazine print a retraction, but this just seems like further ammo that Meltzer and Alvarez just make up nonsense on a whim:

It has come to our attention that someone has claimed that Bruno was unimpressed with Triple H. That is an absolutely false statement Bruno had no issue what so ever with Triple H. He liked Triple H and enjoyed their conversation but for reasons personal to Bruno he has decided not to accept the induction in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM IS THE REFUSAL A REFLECTION ON TRIPLE H or his presentation or conversations with Bruno.

Speaking of Alvarez - if he throws out the phrase, 'WrestleMMania' one more time, I'll fucking scream.

What's the backstory to that, that HHH personally went to see Sammartino to try and persuade him? That's classy. Good old HHH.

HHH reached out to Bruno Sammartino recently in regard to the Hall of Fame in 2013, but Sammartino turned down the invitation. My impression is that neither side wanted it out, but Sammartino did make a point of saying HHH was a gentleman about the approach and very nice about it, but it just wasn

The WWE could start by actually mentioning him and talking him up a little more. Outside one match on a cage DVD a few years ago, in their official output you'd not know who he was.

I respect Sammartino's decision, but it's a loss. I don't think realistically they could later induct someone who turned them down when alive. And he's a big name not to have in your Hall Of Fame.

After ignoring his existence for nearly thirty years considering what a huge part of their history he was must be hard for Sammmartino not to stick to his guns especially if he doesn't need the money. Billy Graham looked like a knob for saying all the shit he did and then being inducted in 2004. Only losers are the fans really and the hall of fame legitimacy which doesn't really exist anyway.

• Paid Members

Have they really ignored him though? Because when I watched wrestling as a kid, long after him and his son had left, and also long before the internet I knew of him as the longest reigning (and possibly greatest) WWF Champion of all time. I can't remember why or how I knew that, but surely WWF put him over as the longest reigning champ, didn't they? Maybe WWF Magazine are the ones that put him over? I can't see why I'd have been of that opinion otherwise and my memory is a tad hazy.

• Paid Members
Have they really ignored him though? Because when I watched wrestling as a kid, long after him and his son had left, and also long before the internet I knew of him as the longest reigning (and possibly greatest) WWF Champion of all time. I can't remember why or how I knew that, but surely WWF put him over as the longest reigning champ, didn't they? Maybe WWF Magazine are the ones that put him over? I can't see why I'd have been of that opinion otherwise and my memory is a tad hazy.

I remember them at least strongly implying that Backlund was the longest reigning Champion when he first returned. I definitely thought that until I started buying one of the Apter Mags that published old results. I really don't remember WWE mentioning him much at all.

The WWE could start by actually mentioning him and talking him up a little more. Outside one match on a cage DVD a few years ago, in their official output you'd not know who he was.

He's too boring though. Outside of maybe one token match on a "Best of MSG" or WWE Championship DVD, there's no sense in putting Bruno Sammartino stuff out. Although if they keep barrel-scraping and end up doing a WWE's Most Boring Champions DVD, they could put loads of his stuff on there. They'd have to save some room for Backlund's long reign, though.

Agreed he's not going to shift a bucket load of dvd's he would just help to legitamiise WWE's Hall of Fame. He should have been in the first draft but then as in now didn't want it.Personally as a fan would love to see it if you can have Verne Gagne and Harley Race. Sammarintino will die lending no legitimacy to WWE's product got to respect him for seeing it through.

• Paid Members
Agreed he's not going to shift a bucket load of dvd's he would just help to legitamiise WWE's Hall of Fame.

That ship has already sailed. Its captain is Koko B Ware, the bosun is Pete Rose.

Bruno Sammartino was a massive name and the greatest champion the WWWF had, but his relevance to what WWE has become is virtually non-existent. Even in the immediate post-Hulkamania "dark ages" an appearance by Bruno would have likely garnered the polite reaction that pre-heel turn Bob Backlund did, and an announcement on next week's Raw, for instance, of his induction into the Hall Of Fame would prompt the same kind of confused murmerings that Inoki's did among the live crowd, save for one or two old schoolers thinking "yeah, about time" as their kid paws desperately at their pockets to try and get them to buy them the latest Cena t-shirt.

The type of wrestling fan that idolizes/respects Bruno are either the kind who think it's all a massive joke anyway, or the "THIS IS WRESTLING" posse that abandoned WWE for Ring of Honor ages ago, and think Glory By Honor VI night 2 is the best thing in the history of things, due to there being two matches of ROH stars against Japanese!!!1 players, and a guest appearance from Bruno "big name back when there was real wrestling in the WWWF not like today" Sammartino.

Bruno fits the Hall of Fame about as much as it fits him. Which is not at all.

• Paid Members

Either WWE or TNA should put him under a mask and pretend he's a luchador. With the greatest respect, the lad's too uncomfortable on the mic and has an accent that nobody in America understands. He would look brilliant as a masked wrestler, as he really looks like a superstar from the neck down.