Raw Liverpool Results/Spoilers

The Dart

It is cool to boo Cena, just like it is/was cool to shout WHAT! Cena still sells the most merch doesn't he? Surely this means his position is justified.

It might be justified if he expanded his moveset or increased his workrate, or at the very least turned heel, but until then he is shit. People only buy his merchandise ironically.

So most people buy Cena's merchandise ironically? He has been the biggest seller of merchandise in pro wrestling for many years thanks to people who don't like him buying it to be ironic?

Whoosh.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm not saying they should turn Cena, but these low buyrates and rating have been in steady decline WITH Cena as the top guy in the company. Is there not perhaps an argument that maybe he should't have been the top guy in the company for so long? That somebody else could have obtained better buy rates / ratings in his position.

Cena can't turn heel but he needs to not be the focal point of the show every week. Clearly it isn't working is it?

You're missing the point. Cena is always the quick fix if it gets really bad. For example, they brought the Rock back and all people wanted was Cena vs The Rock. They bring back Batista tomorrow, nobody will be desperate for a Jack Swagger vs Batista match. He's the big star that you can always draw with in the right situation, unless he's wrestling a complete dud. All those sponsors they have are because they have Cena on top. He's an attractive name and face to bring in advertisers and licensing deals. Just because someone sells a few t-shirts in Newcastle doesn't mean he's the biggest merchandise draw in the company. Far from it. Cena is their juggernaut. Nobody can touch him in wrestling. Its amazing that some people can't see that. Ratings go up and ratings go down, but they cant turn their walking billboard. Especially when he has tons of value left. Getting number one shirt sales for 3 weeks is all well and good. Until WWE finds someone who can consistantly sell their gimmicks for 5 or 6 years and still bring in revenue they cant turn him. What happens after the initial spike and Cena's value goes down? They'll be fucked.

I don't think we've got any fresh feuds yet as he went heel, so it'd probably be wise to wait until after WrestleMania, and if Punk is still selling and being as over as he currently is, at least they have a massive babyface to oppose him.

They've already done Punk with crowd cheering vs Cena with crowd booing.

I don't think we've got any fresh feuds yet as he went heel, so it'd probably be wise to wait until after WrestleMania, and if Punk is still selling and being as over as he currently is, at least they have a massive babyface to oppose him.

They've already done Punk with crowd cheering vs Cena with crowd booing.

It's not as simple as that though really. You can delve deeper than just cheering and booing. With Cena actually acting like a heel with Punk, the feud would take on a whole different dynamic, hell if Cena did turn, you could wait till SummerSlam at least before you do the Punk/Cena match, it could be massive if Cena was full on heel and Punk was full on face, something that neither were properly during their summer feud.

Anyway, I don't understand this thing where Cena can't be WWE's poster boy just because he's a heel. I know his holier than thou attitude and clean cut look appeals to the sponsors etc, but he will still be massive if he turned. And what is more worthy of being a poster boy for sponsers than being straight edge? I know Punk wouldnt have the conventional ''look'' the sponsors would be looking for, but his ethics and everything would be a perfect message to a PG audience. If the PG era ends anytime soon also, Cena as a heel would have an even bigger chance of being the poster boy, as would Punk as he can easily adjust.

I don't think it will happen, but I don't think it'd be the disaster people think it will be. Heels can still be megastars.

• Paid Members
Now he's the man. THE man. THE top babyface. THE guy whose merch everyone buys.

Calm down. He's never #1.

He was in Nottingham last night. You need to be there to see just how many people are buying the stuff, it's staggering. There were more kids in Punk merch than Cena merch, no word of a lie. And some of them turned up like that before they even saw the merch stalls. There was a pair of brothers coming out of the toilets taking turns trying to hit the Go To Sleep on each other.

I'll happily admit it might not last for Punk, and he might not be the biggest seller cumulatively, but right now he's the guy on top. Obviously Cena/Rock is bigger and getting more focus, but Punk's right there now. And, while the Cena-hate might be posturing, or outdated, or unjustified, more people are cheering for Punk than they are for Cena, or for anyone else. If they can keep the momentum ticking over, Punk could stay right there as one of the top guys. I might have overstated it slightly because I was just so blown away by it yesterday, but I'm not exaggerating when I say how much of a star Punk feels like when you're at the shows.

• Paid Members
but I'm not exaggerating when I say how much of a star Punk feels like when you're at the shows.

Your logic is daft though. I saw a bloke dressed as Fred Flinstone live in 1993 at the Bridges in Sunderland, but I was never compelled to buy any John Goodman videos. A few people in Nottingham who are straved of wrestling getting excited like they've just seen Bryan Roy means nothing when your behind John Cena, Randy Orton, Mark Henry, Sheamus, Triple H, Miz, Truth and Kevin Nash as far presentation on TV goes. If they were to judge business on over excited teenages on house shows, then ECW would have wouldnt be out of business , BRITWRES~ would be on ITV and TNA's house shows would be televised and drawing bigger ratings than Raw. Emotion and storytelling is what makes you a top guy. Not a bunch of people going to an arena on a none televised event in another country. Zack Ryder sells merchandise and he'll never be a top guy. Road Dogg sold more shit that the Undertaker in 1999 and had the fans on there feet more. Its shit that in 2011 people judge your drawing power on how many shirts you sell or if you are trending on twitter.

Punks over which really is all that matters, he's selling tshirts (if that matters to you) and the kids like him and pop for him, how long it'll last who knows.

Some people just wont give him credit for being popular at the moment, is he as over as cena who knows in some places yes some no, but who is as over as him hes had 6 years of a full on push, punk has only had from the summer of a proper push even then its stop-started now and again.

Whatever he or wwe is doing least the the fans are getting behind him

• Paid Members

It wasn't overexcited teenagers. It was every demographic possible. Parents, kids, teenagers, disabled people AND their carers. Right now, he's not being pushed as much as Cena because Cena's got the angle with Rock, and Miz and Truth are involved in that angle too. He's not being pushed as much as Henry because Henry's a monster with the world title. I fail to see how he's behind Sheamus in any way whatsoever. He's got a shot at the WWE title at Survivor Series - that's a big deal.

Look, I'm not pretending people were there solely to see Punk. They were there to see WWE, but they were more excited about Punk than anyone. The guy gets pops on TV plenty, and he's working his arse off on the mic to inject a bit of energy into a feud with Del Rio that nobody would care about otherwise. And I know the PPV's being sold on Cena and Rock, as it was always going to be, but Punk has been the guy that's sold two of the PPVs this year, including Summerslam. He's simmering under for the time being because you can't keep one guy red hot all the time, but christ, if there's one guy that puts emotion and storytelling into everything he does no matter what he's given, it's Punk, especially right now. I didn't give a shit about his shot at Del Rio before he started talking on Monday.

Clearly I've overstated things a bit, but what I was saying is, when you're there, at the shows, Punk looks like a fucking megastar and I enjoyed the hell out of that. I'm not saying selling loads of merch makes you the number 1 guy. I'm saying Punk is selling loads of merch and got a better reaction than anyone on Raw, and that combined with the other great stuff he's done this year shows he's gone really far and isn't far away from being accepted as a bona-fide, long term main eventer in WWE.

Is it also shit when people use "look how much merch he sells though" when defending Cena's position on top?

For as long as I can remember, the company's Top Guy always used to also be the guy that got the biggest pop of the night (every night) and the most support during his match. Cena is the first Top Guy to get a large negative reaction from a big chunk of the crowd, every time he appears and/or wrestles.

Fans didn't shit on The Rock, or Hogan or Austin on a regular basis throughout their runs. Sure, there were times when their popularity dipped, but it never got to the point where fans were often cheering the Heels just as much as them. Michaels in New York got heat as a Face, but the rest of the time he was getting the reaction he's supposed to.

I can understand people liking Cena and finding him entertaining, I also accept that any way you look at it he makes WWE a lot of money. But your top face shouldn't get booed my most of the men in the arena. It's a hugely counter-productive dynamic. It has led to the situation where the building of strong Heels has become nearly impossible. Henry has excelled as he's (thankfully) been kept away from Cena, and instead is able to get the correct reactions by working guys who get nothing but positive reactions from the fans (Orton, Sheamus).

Wade Barrett and The Nexus are the only guys to get real Heat against Cena, and that's because they destroyed the RAW ring, killed half the roster, hospitalised legends and were the most hated Heels in years.

At the newcastle Raw show there was a sea of Punk new and old tshirts aswell and he got a huge pop, and as opcws said its wasnt greasy teens or whatever.

Hes popular and people cheer him its that simple, I think to many people look to deep into things.

dirty eddie pretty much sums it up for me

Cena is very popular with the little kids though, so if he started being a meanie surely said kids would wan't there Mummy to buy them a shirt from a different Wrestler. WWE are obviously going on the ain't broke don't fix it way when choosing the direction to take Cena. Also don't forget Cena is 'Mr Make A Wish Foundation'. Turning him heel would surely effect that.

Archived