WWE Survivor Series 2011 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Really disappointed with the 5 on 5 match. They announced it and then started feuds to fill it rather than the other way around. With World title matches being so meaningless, I think they should have sacrificed the Henry-Big Show match and made them captains. I also think they could have had a second survivor match.

Cena/Rock vs. Awesome Truth

Punk vs. Del Rio

Women's match

Ziggler vs. Ryder

Big Show, Orton, Shaemus, Bryan, Sin Cara vs. Henry, Rhodes, Christian (before injury), Barrett & Hunico

Ryan, Santino, Kingston, Dibiase & Morrison vs. Swagger, Clay, Gabriel, Kidd & Otunga.

Perfect match to put Clay over huge.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really disappointed with the 5 on 5 match. They announced it and then started feuds to fill it rather than the other way around.

No they didn't.

Sin Cara vs Hunico

Sheamus vs Christian

Orton vs Rhodes

Kofi vs Ziggler/Swagger

Mason Ryan vs Ziggler/Swagger have all been going on for ages. All they have really done is added Barrett's push into the mix and had him have a little feud with Orton

• Paid Members
Really disappointed with the 5 on 5 match. They announced it and then started feuds to fill it rather than the other way around. With World title matches being so meaningless, I think they should have sacrificed the Henry-Big Show match and made them captains. I also think they could have had a second survivor match.

Punk vs. Del Rio

Women's match

Ziggler vs. Ryder

Big Show, Orton, Shaemus, Bryan, Sin Cara vs. Henry, Rhodes, Christian (before injury), Barrett & Hunico

Ryan, Santino, Kingston, Dibiase & Morrison vs. Swagger, Clay, Gabriel, Kidd & Otunga.

Why would Gabriel be in that team? He's a babyface these days!

• Paid Members
Really disappointed with the 5 on 5 match. They announced it and then started feuds to fill it rather than the other way around.

No they didn't.

Sin Cara vs Hunico

Sheamus vs Christian

Orton vs Rhodes

Kofi vs Ziggler/Swagger

Mason Ryan vs Ziggler/Swagger have all been going on for ages. All they have really done is added Barrett's push into the mix and had him have a little feud with Orton

It was Barrett & Orton as captains that I was really thinking of here. And I don't really agree on the link between Kingston and Swagger. Even when they were having tag title matches, there was no heat between them. Still think they needed to generate more aggro before announcing it. It doesn't have any ooomph at all.

Didn't know Gabriel was a heel, so I'll take that back but there are enough guys sat around doing nothing to make another Survivor match. You could even include Trips and Nash if wanted more buys. And Foley?

• Paid Members

I agree. Personally, I think they are killing off title matches when they could have used traditional survivor series matches to help build them up and THEN have the title matches at the next months pay-per-view.

I would have gone with a card like:

The Rock, John Cena, CM Punk, Mick Foley & Mason Ryan vs. The Miz, R-Truth, Alberto Del Rio, Dolph Ziggler & Kevin Nash

Randy Orton, Shaemus, Big Show, Daniel Bryan & Sin Cara vs. Wade Barrett, Mark Henry, Cody Rhodes, Hunico & Epico

A divas survivor series match.

Dolph Ziggler vs. Zack Ryder

Kofi Kingston vs. Jack Swagger (do a quick angle where Swagger takes out Bourne covering his 30 days suspension)

Broadus Clay squash debut against Trent Berretta.

Punk vs. Del Rio

Women's match

Ziggler vs. Ryder

I'd have liked to have seen more Survivors matches as well. I liked the idea that was rumoured when Rock was first announced for Survivor Series of him being in a Survivor Series match which would have given a bit of a 'rub' to the old elimination format and not given too much away from his in-ring return. A complete return to his first WWF match as well with that being in the same type of match at the same show at the same arena.

If any year was perfect to resurrect the 'co-captains' gimmick from 1988 (that they haven't done since) it was for the Cena/Rock vs Miz/Truth feud.

Given the current feuds, I'd have gone with this 50/50 split between elimination and regular matches:

Traditional Survivor Series Elimination Matches:

1. Raw Match:

I'd have liked to have seen more Survivors matches as well. I liked the idea that was rumoured when Rock was first announced for Survivor Series of him being in a Survivor Series match which would have given a bit of a 'rub' to the old elimination format and not given too much away from his in-ring return. A complete return to his first WWF match as well with that being in the same type of match at the same show at the same arena.

If any year was perfect to resurrect the 'co-captains' gimmick from 1988 (that they haven't done since) it was for the Cena/Rock vs Miz/Truth feud.

Given the current feuds, I'd have gone with this 50/50 split between elimination and regular matches:

Traditional Survivor Series Elimination Matches:

1. Raw Match:

Leary of Doom - Well spotted. Yeah I meant Dolph Ziggler as champ. Although I'm sure if Zack did wrestle himself that would be entertaining as well.

That's one of the things I used to love about the old Survivor Series (and Royal Rumble) format - getting guys who don't normally appear on PPV a chance to shine. Admittedly they still did used to cram a lot of those guys onto back in the original boom period anyway

A good showing from some of those undercard guys used to mean a lot. I still remember people at school talking about Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series 1989 and Bret Hart at Survivor Series 1990 after those happened. Maybe not the best example since those were both higher up the card than a Hunico but I'm sure there were some. D-Lo Brown in 1997 maybe? Didn't know any wrestling fans at the time but I could imagine that impressed a lot of people. It seemed to impress them within WWF because he got to repeat that role in all the Nation six/eight man tags for the next year where he was allowed to shine.

I think people like DiBiase getting to rub shoulders with his old Legacy teammate Orton or a Tyson Kidd getting to do a Conquistador spot and last a surprisingly long time could benefit them and even if it didn't it certainly wouldn't do them any harm.

I think Daniel Bryan will be cashing in his MITB briefcase on Sunday night. WWE have been pressing home how Big Show is vowing to destroy Mark Henry. Enough for D-Bryan to get an easy title win I feel.

As for Zack Ryder not getting the title shot and Jomo having it instead, It wouldn't surprise me if Zack gets added during the event and pins Jomo to win the strap. Stupidly though, WWE could be losing PPV sales from the Zack Pack that won't be buying the event in disgust.

It's New York, the crowd won't be quiet. They may not care about half the matches, but they definitely won't sit on their hands and be quiet about it.

I agree. Nothing worse than some of the quiet crowds we've had on several PPVs over the last eight or nine years. NY, much like Canada always at least make a lot of noise even if it isn't always the reaction the company wants. The last two Survivor Series there both had great crowds.

Why would they shit on it? The New York crowd loves two big dinosaurs going at it. Its what New York based wrestling was built on, especially in MSG. The New York fans will turn on you if they hate you (Shawn Michaels in 1996 for example). They don't hate the Big Show.

I agree, that was pure hatred for Michaels there - not in a "everyone boo the babyface" way either just hated the guy.

They had to have known it was going to happen as well after IYH V8 plus the house show reports about him throwing a tantrum for getting booed against Goldust and for the reason you mentioned about big men/tough guys (neither of which Michaels was). But even if the adult audience hadn't been getting fed up with ol' HBK at that point, having it monster face vs underdog face in a town that supports monsters and doing Sid's (who always got some cheers anyway even as a heel) face turn during the match felt almost like a 'rib' on Michaels.

I remember reading about the match against Mankind In Your House 10 shortly before then which was also in the North Eastern USA where they were expecting some of the ECW fans to be pro-Foley which is why they booked the match the way they did. At Survivors they gave him no protection against that happening at all.

Still amusing though.

Who hates the Big Show?

Good point.

Admittedly he's one of my favourites so I'm probably biased but I can't imagine what sort of deranged mind could dislike the Showster.

It's an ideal match to push Mason Ryan though he's against 3 other guys that are in the middle of pushes.

I'd rather they use it to push the heels. Ziggler, Barrett and/or Rhodes could benefit from being the guy to take out Orton and survive the match. I presumed Ryan was there more to be sacrificed to one of them so they have a 'big guy' to beat.

Ill be there 3. The new york crowd shitting on the top face might be a thing of the past. But Rock has been so cheesey they might get some boos but dont think it'll be Shawn survivor series 96 levels.

The top face is Cena though :p . Michaels is a strange one because it's the only time I remember that much of the crowd turning on him to that "level", even crowds that were described as 'anti-Shawn' at the time it was more that there would just be some cheers for his opponents than the kind of stuff Hogan or even pretty boy teams like the American Males were getting in WCW whenever they were in a 'smarter' town. Not that a lot of people hadn't gotten fed up with him. They just expressed it in a different way. Can't see Rock getting boos to that level at all or even much of the audience cheering for the bad guys. Also Miz and Truth are both pretty effective heels, IMO. Miz in particular seems to have gone out of his way not to come across as a cool heel.

I think it's quite possible that Miz and Truth will win the match, but it will be just like at Wrestlemania - if they win it will only be because either Rock or Cena has hit the other with their finisher.

That would probably be the correct finish, as (even as just a token gesture) Miz and truth look quite good out of it for winning, and it sets up the Rock/Cena feud more, which really is all anyone gives a shit about.

Especially since they just beat Triple H and Punk at the last PPV. Beating four of the five (with Orton) top names in wrestling right now is something they could really brag about for a long time to come.

Of course, this could be Vince fucking with him again. Like when they had Raw in his hometown and didn't bother having him on Raw, despite having him on for the couple of weeks before and hinting he would be on it. Seeing as JR is no selling these days, he needs his kicks somehow.

Wasn't that before his proper push started though? Not saying the same thing won't happen now but I think it's less likely they'd kill Zack's momentum at this point just to screw with him than they did back then.

How Rock looks in-ring will be the most interesting thing for me. Obviously he looks in good shape physically but how well he's able to move around, whether he has any ringrust, etc. will be interesting to see because I thought he'd developed into a great in-ring worker by the time he left. Whilst the main thing with this and WM will be the atmosphere I'm still interested to see if he's lost a step or two since then. Because whilst I don't doubt him vs Cena will be fun anyway because of their timing, ability to work the crowd, the Dream Match aspect, and the fact it's WrestleMania I think how much Rock brings tomorrow night will be a good indication of how good that match might be.

• Paid Members

I can't wait for this, more for the fact it's in the Garden, rather than the card they're putting on, but still, it should be quality!

Here's the wonderful video package they produced for the last Raw they did there a few years back, to help everyone else get in the mood for tomorrow.....

Archived