UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GSP destoyed BJ on the ground not the feet.

GSP from what I remember did outstrike BJ second time round, but I would not say he destoyed him in the stand up as the vast majority of that fight was spent on the ground.

I never specified how GSP beat Penn!

And I still think that GSP will wipe the floor with Diaz!

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GSP destoyed BJ on the ground not the feet.

GSP from what I remember did outstrike BJ second time round, but I would not say he destoyed him in the stand up as the vast majority of that fight was spent on the ground.

I never specified how GSP beat Penn!

And I still think that GSP will wipe the floor with Diaz!

Fair enough, my point was no one has destoyed BJ in striking exchanges like Diaz did.

I honestly think Diaz has a decent chance after last night. I still lean towards GSP, but Diaz did a lot of things last night that gives me hope that it wont be as onesided as most think.

• Paid Members

As great as Diaz was last night I still think GSP is a nightmare style match for Diaz. I'm not writing Nick's chances off but it's hard to imagine him coping with GSP's wrestling. Who knows if this knee injury could effect GSP's game though?

Tibbs is right that Diaz hasn't been fighting wrestlers. The Strikeforce 170 division was mostly strikers until Tyron Woodley came along. Before that there was Jay Hieron and that fight never came off.

Doesn't mean Diaz can't win but the smart money is GSP will beat Diaz either on points or possibly on cuts late on.

I'd actually love to see Diaz pull it off though. Say what you want about his antics but he's fun to watch. I wouldn't want him round my house but the reality is he's never boring. I love GSP but I wanna see 170 get shaken up a bit and Diaz is the man for the job.

Im hoping Diaz upsets GSP and Condit wins his next fight setting up a Diaz vs Condit title fight sometime next year. That would be perfect. I'm expecting GSP to dominate for a bit yet though,

• Paid Members
Fair enough, my point was no one has destoyed BJ in striking exchanges like Diaz did.

Yeah GSP beat him with a smart gameplan to tire him against the cage so his arms were fucked and couldn't box effectively. I still think Penn is the better boxer than GSP but GSP mixes it up better with the rest of his game and he can use his wrestling to outstrike better strikers than himself because they don't know when he's gonna shoot.

GSP used his size and strength to outposition Penn and just beat him up. Whereas Diaz fought Penn at his own style and he took some of BJ's best shots early on and still battered him. I think that's what BJ will find so hard to come back from. Diaz beat him at his own game. Even if Penn fights again I really think he might not be the same fighter mentally.

I will say that Diaz did stop a takedown of Penn's in the second round. That I thought was very impressive as BJ scored takedowns on Jon Fitch last time out.

I know GSP is on another level and I would not expect Diaz to stuff all of GSP takedown's. However Diaz also found a way to get up on his feet against Penn when they had a scramble on the ground in the first round.

At the very least it shows that Diaz is improving in these area's that are vital to stay competative against GSP. I like most still favor GSP to win on points like he did against Sheilds, but unlike Sheilds, Koscheck and even Penn, Diaz would outstrike GSP all day long in my opinion as long as it stays standing.

• Paid Members
Nick Diaz and his boys are total bellends. 'Georges St-Pierre; call that motherfucker out' and 'Where you at, Georges? Where you at' are two of the most ridiculous things ever. How can you claim he's scared when you're the one who was too afraid to leave the house and go to a press conference with the guy? Diaz is an autistic waste of space with pillow fists; looking forward to seeing GSP dismantle him. Be scared, homme.

Here we go again :D

Seriously though, he has some great hands. Bit mental to say that after what he did to Penn's face and body. Quite recently, Paul Daley says hi too.

I'm glad no one here has any sense of hyperbole. Having BJ on the ropes like he was an being unable to finish him - unable to even knock him down - made him look far worse than he was against Semtex et al. He's vicious but unfocused and hanging round with the gang of cunts he has as cornermen is doing him no favours.

I don't get what your point is? Diaz hangs round with cunts? That is probably coerrct, but Diaz/GSP definitely makes sense right now.

As far as not being able to finish Penn, how many others outside of GSP have put him in that position? Diaz may not have finished him, but that was a one sided beat down.

• Paid Members

Its not worth talking sense Stu. I'm starting to think he's just posting for a reaction to be honest. He brings up some decent points and then throws shit like that in.

Instead of taking away from Diaz's performance I'd argue it was Penn's toughness which was the reason he wasn't finished last night. Diaz came closer to finishing BJ on the feet than anyone ever has in his career, I can see why someone would take a disliking to Diaz but It's ridiculous to try diminish what he did to BJ Penn last night.

One thing John Galt did bring up that was done in bad taste but does make sense, is that Diaz could be in some way autistic or menatlly ill.

The way he reacts in interviews avoiding eye contact and his anti-social behaviour does set alarm bells of for it. I am not saying he is stupid or anything when he is of sound mind he says some very bright things, but I do believe Diaz does have some mental problems that he needs to address.

Great main event. It's easy to forget though that BJ is basically a blown-up lightweight. He could maybe get away with that kind of weight & reach difference in the past, but not today against top class guys in the division.

If he couldn't handle the likes of Frankie Edgar, he certainly wasn't going to be able to handle anyone in the top 3 or 4 a weight class up.

I still think GSP takes Diaz out though, either on points easily, or by referee stoppage late on.

Great main event, I thought Diaz would dominate but I didn't think he'd beat up Penn on the feet as badly he did. Diaz does hang around with cunts but it doesn't take away from how good he is, I still don't see him beating GSP though. As happy as I was to see Condit get his shot I'd still much rather see GSP vs. Diaz next, I can't wait for that fight.

Sad to see Cro Cop and Penn retire. I'm glad Cro Cop did though, it's not enjoyable to watch him fight anymore, instead of cheering him to win I end up just hoping he doesn't get knocked out too badly.

Glad Cerrone and Vera picked up wins and my bet won so I was pretty happy :)

Nick Diaz and his boys are total bellends. 'Georges St-Pierre; call that motherfucker out' and 'Where you at, Georges? Where you at' are two of the most ridiculous things ever. How can you claim he's scared when you're the one who was too afraid to leave the house and go to a press conference with the guy? Diaz is an autistic waste of space with pillow fists; looking forward to seeing GSP dismantle him. Be scared, homme.

Seriously though, he has some great hands. Bit mental to say that after what he did to Penn's face and body. Quite recently, Paul Daley says hi too.

I'm glad no one here has any sense of hyperbole. Having BJ on the ropes like he was an being unable to finish him - unable to even knock him down - made him look far worse than he was against Semtex et al. He's vicious but unfocused and hanging round with the gang of cunts he has as cornermen is doing him no favours.

I don't get what your point is? Diaz hangs round with cunts? That is probably coerrct, but Diaz/GSP definitely makes sense right now.

As far as not being able to finish Penn, how many others outside of GSP have put him in that position? Diaz may not have finished him, but that was a one sided beat down.

You really don't get what the impact of having dickhead cornermen is?

You really don't get what the impact of having dickhead cornermen is?

Yeah guiding him to win 11 straight fights, what twats they are!

• Paid Members

ill post some thoughts tomorrow, but id like to get this in now...

did anyone find the Vegas crowd very flat last night? i know there were a couple of poor fights but during the main event which was everything 99% of the fans crave i thought the reaction was a little muted, maybe it just come across on the TV? but i thought the live crowd should have been losing their minds during that main event.

Archived