UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

This is only a couple of weeks away now so thought I might aswell get this up now so we can get talking about it311298_175956825824027_151848351568208_376335_1039171972_n.jpg

MAIN CARD (ESPN)BJ Penn vs. Nick DiazCheick Kongo vs. Matt MitrioneMirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Roy NelsonHatsu Hioki vs. George RoopScott Jorgensen vs. Jeff CurranPRELIMINARY CARD (Probably on ufc.tv)Donald Cerrone vs. Dennis SiverTyson Griffin vs. Bart PalaszewskiPRELIMINARY CARD (Probably on Facebook)Brandon Vera vs. Eliot MarshallDanny Downes vs. Ramsey NijemChris Camozzi vs. Francis CarmontDustin Jacoby vs. Clifford Starks

Seriously stacked card. Can't wait. One of the most anticipated shows this year for me easy along with 132 and the upcoming 139.The 2 Spike prelims are gonna be awesome fights. I can see either of them getting FOTN honours. Then there's the returns of Diaz, Vera and Curran and the UFC debut of Hatsu Hioki who's coming in with a lot of hype and could possibly find himself in a contender fight with a win here.The main card is mental. Condit finally getting his big chance and I really hope he pulls it off. I like GSP but Condit dethroning him would freshen up the whole division. Plus he could then defend the title against the winner of Penn vs Diaz which would likely be a FOTY contender either way.Penn vs Diaz is one of them fights we've been waiting years to see but never thought would happen. That's the fight I'm looking forward to more than any other on this one. Both great boxing, great BJJ, both solid chins and neither are what you'd call 'point fighters' they just love to scrap. Gonna be a crazy fight and I'm struggling to pick a winner.Cro Cop vs Nelson could be a fun fight or an absolute turd. In an ideal world Cro Cop wins and either retires or sets up a rubber match with Mark Hunt. Got a feeling Big Country will land a bomb early and send Mirko packing into retirement though.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd put my house on Siver/Cerrone being FOTN.

Usually I'd agree but on a card with Penn vs Diaz and even Griffin vs Bartimus I'm not as confident. I wouldn't go putting that bet on mate or you might be homeless come the 30th. At least you'd avoid the trick or treaters though eh?It's a tossup between Penn/Diaz and Cerrone/Siver for FOTN for me.

I'd put my house on Siver/Cerrone being FOTN.

Usually I'd agree but on a card with Penn vs Diaz and even Griffin vs Bartimus I'm not as confident. I wouldn't go putting that bet on mate or you might be homeless come the 30th. At least you'd avoid the trick or treaters though eh?It's a tossup between Penn/Diaz and Cerrone/Siver for FOTN for me.
True, Diaz/Penn should be very good but I can see that being abit more tentative (atleast in the first round) than some people are expecting which is why I'm picking Cerrone/Siver.As we all know, there isn't any of 'finding your range'/slow start to Donald Cerrone fights.

Griffin vs. Bartimus HAS to be fight of the night surely. That fight is SCREAMING to me, needing to be watched. It's the first time I've felt the need to go to ufc.tv and register for a fight. Coupled with Siver/Cerrone, that's the best two fights for Spike prelims I've seen.The main card is loaded. I LOVE the look of it. Penn/Diaz is gonna rock.

This card has left a bad taste in my mouth, with Dana making a song & dance about removing Diaz from the main event (which he was right to do), only to put him in the co-main event.Either keep him in the title fight or drop him from the card altogether.

• Paid Members

Yeah it wasn't a massive punishment from that standpoint. He got taken out of a fight that was a nightmare style wise for him and put in a fight with someone who is similar in style to him. Although there's been reports that Diaz lost out on a shitload of money by getting himself pulled from the title fight. So it's not like he's gone totally unpunished.

Still, I'm fucking pumped. I'm more excited for it this way than when it was GSP/Diaz and Penn/Condit. I like these new fights slightly better.

Condit is outmatched by GSP on paper and GSP is rightly the favourite but I'm starting to get a feeling Condit might pull off the upset. I don't know why but it's a gut feeling and I'd fucking love to see it happen. He's the type of fighter who is never out of a fight until it's over, dangerous in every area and a ridiculous heart/chin (see fights with Ellenberger and Rory)

This card has left a bad taste in my mouth, with Dana making a song & dance about removing Diaz from the main event (which he was right to do), only to put him in the co-main event.

Either keep him in the title fight or drop him from the card altogether.

We're in agreement. Never liked Diaz so hope Penn smashes him.

The problem is, if he beats Penn, and GSP wins his fight, we'll more than likely see Diaz going up against GSP next. It kind of makes a complete mockery of Dana's punishment.

The problem is, if he beats Penn, and GSP wins his fight, we'll more than likely see Diaz going up against GSP next. It kind of makes a complete mockery of Dana's punishment.

It's a lose/lose situation because if Diaz wins, we possibly get a repeat of what happened when St Pierre/Diaz was the main event and if Penn wins, does anyone want to see a third St. Pierre/Penn fight when Penn has lost both? It's the opposite to Chael Sonnen/Brian Stann at UFC 136 which was a win/win either way for UFC.

• Paid Members

It's a lose/lose situation because if Diaz wins, we possibly get a repeat of what happened when St Pierre/Diaz was the main event and if Penn wins, does anyone want to see a third St. Pierre/Penn fight when Penn has lost both? It's the opposite to Chael Sonnen/Brian Stann at UFC 136 which was a win/win either way for UFC.

I'm a bit puzzled by all these comments regarding the change to the fights and how it's a mockery. I'm baffled how you believe it's a lose/lose scenario? If Penn beats Diaz then it will simply mean that Diaz wasn't worthy of a title shot to begin with. Penn ultimately would be a more worthy opponent at this point than Diaz if he wins. If Penn wins then yes I would like to see a third Penn/St Pierre fight as Penn would have earned the shot. Fighters improve their game and who's to say Penn at the moment in time stands less of chance this time around against St Pierre?

If Diaz wins one would have to assume that Diaz has learned his lesson and knows what will happen if he does the same again. I'm pretty certain that if Diaz repeats his behaviour then he is out of a job.

Exactly.

Dana should have dropped Diaz from the card, and put him in against someone else who hasn't faced St-Pierre already. If he won, then he could have got a crack at the title down the line, and if he lost, it would elevate someone new to possible title contention.

Another question worth asking is, what happens when this fight is done with? Regardless of who wins between Condit & St-Pierre, who's next in line for a title shot?

Jake Ellenberger? He's put together five straight wins since losing via decision to Condit two years ago. A win over someone like Josh Koscheck would see him surely due a shot?

I know it's never popular, but aside from Jake Ellenberger, I can't see anyone else besides Jon Fitch that has actually earned their way to a shot at the title. Since losing via decision to St-Pierre (in a fight that I would consider the champions toughest in recent times) he's won five straight and fought to a draw with BJ Penn. It's worth considering that his loss to St-Pierre was his only defeat in almost 10 years.

If he beats Hendricks in December, he simply has to be due another shot. If the UFC block him because of his fighting style the legitimacy of the sport has to be called into question, it's really as simple as that.

Exactly.

Dana should have dropped Diaz from the card, and put him in against someone else who hasn't faced St-Pierre already. If he won, then he could have got a crack at the title down the line, and if he lost, it would elevate someone new to possible title contention.

Another question worth asking is, what happens when this fight is done with? Regardless of who wins between Condit & St-Pierre, who's next in line for a title shot?

Jake Ellenberger? He's put together five straight wins since losing via decision to Condit two years ago. A win over someone like Josh Koscheck would see him surely due a shot?

I know it's never popular, but aside from Jake Ellenberger, I can't see anyone else besides Jon Fitch that has actually earned their way to a shot at the title. Since losing via decision to St-Pierre (in a fight that I would consider the champions toughest in recent times) he's won five straight and fought to a draw with BJ Penn. It's worth considering that his loss to St-Pierre was his only defeat in almost 10 years.

If he beats Hendricks in December, he simply has to be due another shot. If the UFC block him because of his fighting style the legitimacy of the sport has to be called into question, it's really as simple as that.

If Diaz loses to Penn and Ellenberger beats Sanchez, I have no doubt Ellenberger will be facing GSP or Condit in April/May time next year.

I think Ellenberger will beat Sanchez handily, but I still cant pick who will win out of Penn and Diaz. Recent behavior aside I think UFC will give Diaz the next shot if he wins, wheather that is right or not is another question all togeather.

Guys like Fitch and Sheilds should move up to 185.

Archived