UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A new question.

Saying GSP retains, out of Fitch, Diaz and Ellenberger. Who has the best chance of beating GSP.

I say Ellenberger, KO power and a decent wrestler who could keep it standing, I see him as the best match-up to take out GSP. Pure striking, Diaz would beat GSP, but Diaz would not be able to stop GSP's wrestling.

I see GSP vs Fitch going the same way as last time.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A new question.

Saying GSP retains, out of Fitch, Diaz and Ellenberger. Who has the best chance of beating GSP.

I say Ellenberger, KO power and a decent wrestler who could keep it standing, I see him as the best match-up to take out GSP. Pure striking, Diaz would beat GSP, but Diaz would not be able to stop GSP's wrestling.

I see GSP vs Fitch going the same way as last time.

I would agree with you, Diaz would just get taken down each round and Fitch would most likely end up loosing a decision again. So I would go with Ellenberger based on the fact that he does have one punch ko power and could keep it standing for longer periods than Diaz to be able to use his striking.

As I said, Ellenberger is undoubtedly the best option at present, especially as far as timing goes. He's got a decent record at present (5 wins on the spin), and certainly has a good case for a title shot.

After that though? If Diaz beats Penn will he get the next shot? Whichever way you carve it up, if Fitch beats Hendricks he's due a shot before too long.

As I said, Ellenberger is undoubtedly the best option at present, especially as far as timing goes. He's got a decent record at present (5 wins on the spin), and certainly has a good case for a title shot.

After that though? If Diaz beats Penn will he get the next shot? Whichever way you carve it up, if Fitch beats Hendricks he's due a shot before too long.

Diaz will get the next shot after Condit if he beats Penn, Dana has basically said so himself.

Diaz will get the next shot after Condit if he beats Penn, Dana has basically said so himself.

I'm sure Fitch would be supporting Diaz in that fight. He beats Diaz all day long.

I'm sure Fitch would be supporting Diaz in that fight. He beats Diaz all day long.

Oh 100%, also he is more likely to get a shot against Diaz than GSP as it's a new match-up.

Oh 100%, also he is more likely to get a shot against Diaz than GSP as it's a new match-up.

Exactly, it works in other ways as well.

If Condit stunned GSP. They could market a Condit vs Ellenberger or Condit vs Diaz match very well, and both would be interesting match ups, I would hope that they would'nt give GSP a rematch right of and make him win a few fights like when he lost to Serra.

• Paid Members
That's Jon Fitch's problem, no one wants to see him fight.

What would you have him do then? Cut a "promo" on GSP, calling him out? Change his fighting style to appease the masses and ditch what brought him to the dance?

No, it aint about that. I can't really suggest anything other than Jon Fitch needs to go out and try to finish some fights and turn some head. I love the entertainments aspect of MMA, but i know it isn't essential to making someone succesful, but in this case you have to look at the facts, Jon Fitch has one of best records in UFC history, yet people still don't like watching him fight, they just don't.

People keep saying MMA needs to be considered a 'real sport' but MMA (and boxing) is different to most sports, there's no rankins (officially), there's no league table, there's no fixed schedule, there's just a roster of guys competing for a title at the top...at the end of the day fight promoters can make whatever fights they want, and they are always going to want to make the fights that draw the most amount of people and makes the most money.

If Jon Fitch isn't getting his shot though, in the grand scheme of things who really cares? there's a small group of hardcore fans calling for his shot but because the general paying public don't have that connection with Fitch, they couldn't care less. I'd say 95% of fans would rather see Diaz/GSP than Fitch/GSP II so why would Dana White, a 'prizefight' promoter schedule a fight that people do not want to see?

Pretty stacked card IMO. Love watching GSP fight and even his preparation and how his opponent prepares to face him. GSP's possibly the finest athlete in the world and it's interesting to watch all the dynamics of his fights.

Here's hoping Nelson and Mitrione pick up W's as I was one of the few who enjoyed TUF10 and most the fighters on there.

• Paid Members

Like we expected, Dana White's saying a win over BJ Penn will put Nick Diaz in line for a title shot

"I don't see that happening again. He knows, we've talked. Seriously, I would be shocked if he didn't show up at another press conference and if he does, I don't even know what to say. I guess that would be the end of it. He doesn't have to answer one question if he doesn't want to. I just want him to sit there and then get up and do the [face off]. I don

• Paid Members

Big Sexy Sean McCorkle's musings on Mitrione/Kongo...

Mitrione will put Kongo on queer street

Created: 8 hrs.

By: Sean McCorkle

Which considering he's French to begin with, it's probably a really short trip.

Remember I said it, the first time Kongo tastes one of Matt's punches, he'll desperately start looking for a takedown. But he doesn't have the wrestling to take Matt down, and he for damn sure doesn't have the wrestling to keep him down if he somehow does take him down.

Expect Matt to dominate the entire fight, except for the portions that he's recovering from low blows, or trying to fight through illegal fence grabbing, short pulling, etc.

Really looking forward to this one and to see how Matt does. It's amazing to see the turn around of popularity following TUF and also the rate in which he has improved as a Fighter. Meathead is firmly a fan favourite and hopefully he'll get the win and keep moving on up the ranks.

Archived