UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Koscheck offered to take the fight against Condit with 10 days notice.

I'm not surprised that Dana turned this one down. What has he got to gain from this fight? If Kos wins you can't give him another shot at the title because GSP was so dominating over him in their previous fight. Plus you also lose Condit as a contender.

From what I have heard, GSP's injury does not require surgery and he could be ready to return quite soon which means they could do the title shot early in the new year (or maybe even squeeze it in for December).

• Paid Members
I was wrong. Diver-Cowboy is staying on Spike. Jacoby-Tavares is on the ppv.

:laugh:

What a dire decision that is. Completely unsurprising given the bizzaro world decisions they make.

I was thinking that too, but it's probably because they expect Cowboy/Siver to be a belter and that someone watching that on Spike will end up ordering the PPV. It's bait essentially.

I was wrong. Diver-Cowboy is staying on Spike. Jacoby-Tavares is on the ppv.

:laugh:

What a dire decision that is. Completely unsurprising given the bizzaro world decisions they make.

I was thinking that too, but it's probably because they expect Cowboy/Siver to be a belter and that someone watching that on Spike will end up ordering the PPV. It's bait essentially.

That's what I was thinking too. Could have put the Brandon Vera fight on the main card though, but the Siver - Cerrone fight is ideal for the Spike Prelims

• Paid Members

i think the UFC probably are not allowed not mess with the Spike prelims once they are set, unless there's an injury to one of the Spike fighters has there ever been an instance where they've moved a fight to the PPV?nf

There's been a little backlash to the decision, many believing Scott Jorgensen/Jeff Curran should be on the PPV, great chance to expose the 135'ers. Brandon Vera rightfully stays on the prelims though.

Tavares/Jacoby could be good though, Tavares is a crowd pleaser and Jacoby himself in a striker so this should kick off the show with a bang.

Scott Jorgensen vs Jeff Curran was the other fight I thought would maybe be better suited to a Main Card. My only reasoning behind Brandon Vera being on the main card was the fact he's a bit of a well known fighter

• Paid Members
i think the UFC probably are not allowed not mess with the Spike prelims once they are set, unless there's an injury to one of the Spike fighters has there ever been an instance where they've moved a fight to the PPV?nf

Yeah I think this is the case with the Spike prelims. I'd have preferred Jorgensen vs Curran be bumped myself. I'm sure Tavares/Jacoby will be good but Jorgensen is more deserving of a spot on the PPV imo.

Fuck me, gutted about this. As much as GSP was rightly the massive favourite I was really starting to get a gut feeling that it was Condit's time. Hopefully they can get the fight back on soonish.

BJ vs Diaz is still a great main event. I can't pick a winner in that one but if it does become a 5 rounder I might give Diaz the slight edge. I can't see BJ finishing Diaz early, if at all, and I favour Diaz's conditioning over a long fight. A 3 rounder is anyone's guess but 5 rounds is advantage Diaz I reckon.

• Paid Members
George and Weezie aren't the only ones movin' on up.

Hard-hitting heavyweights Cheick Kongo and Matt Mitrione have been promoted to the co-main event of UFC 137: "Penn vs. Diaz," now that welterweight fighters B.J. Penn and Nick Diaz are headlining the pay-per-view event on Oct. 29, 2011, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

In case you haven't heard, or just refuse to accept it, Georges St. Pierre blew out his knee and was forced to withdraw from his "Sin City" title fight against Carlos Condit, who will take a seat and ride this thing out.

Those are some pretty big shoes to fill.

The last time Kongo was in action, he was involved in one of the craziest and most memorable comebacks in Octagon history at UFC on Versus 4. After getting repeatedly rocked by Pat Barry, the French sensation landed a big right hand that stunned "HD" and finished the job with a monster uppercut.

Now, once again, he's got a perfect style match-up that could lead to consecutive memorable performances.

Star-divide

Mitrione also competed the last time UFC invaded the Versus cable network channel and had his way with over-matched heavyweight brawler Christian Morecraft.

In fact, if not for the Kongo comeback, "Meathead" likely would have won himself "Knockout of the Night" honors for his walkaway kayo in the second round.

If he wants to settle that up with the Wolfslair kickboxer, now's his chance.

With Kongo vs. Mitrione moving up in the order, the empty pay-per-view slot will be filled by a middleweight mash-up between Brad Tavares and Dustin Jacoby.

Mitrione co-main event material?

• Paid Members

Quick summary of today's conference call

BJ Penn

Nick is Nick. He's going to do what he does. For me, I enjoy watching what he does. He always shows up to fight.

(On a five round fight) I'm more than happy to do it, but this is a job. I want to be compensated accordingly.

I'm very excited to be in a main event. It's been a wild ride.

I really feel that Nick is the best boxer in mixed martial arts today. He has the highest punch volume. He can stand up with anyone.

(If he would like another title shot) I don't want to speak to soon but if Dana wants to grant me that opportunity, I'd be very gracious for the offer.

I found out I was on the main event on BJPenn.com just like everyone else.

I'm a fan of Nick Diaz. I was a fan of his before he was in the UFC. I enjoy his antics.

I'd love to stick around as long as Randy stuck around. One day I want to fight 100 fights and the next day I don't want to fight anymore. I think a lot of other fighters feel the same way I'm just more vocal about it.

It goes hand in hand. Nick is a great character of the sport. He is who he is. That's Nick Diaz. It's something to talk about. I don't want to say it's good for the sport -- no-showing the press conferences -- but it's 1,000 times more interesting.

(If Diaz would have beaten Georges St. Pierre) I don't know.

It's a job and at the end of the day we all have to go to work.

As far as the title shot, it's all about the right time. Who's injured, who's available. I don't worry about it.

I'll fight Jon Fitch anytime. I'd love to fight him again.

Nick Diaz

I didn't even know that was a call. No one called me in the last week. Simple as that. I just heard about it 15 minutes ago. My brother came over and woke me up.

I don't know what's going to happen to me. I try to live everyday like it's not a big deal. I'm just going to do what I always do. When it's time to fight, I go fight.

(On Penn's assertion that Diaz is the best boxer in the UFC) It's reasonable. I've had more boxing experience than most people in the UFC.

(On fighting B.J. Penn) No, I'm not happy about it at all. I'm fighting this guy who was my friend. I was supposed to fighting this other guy. That's kind of just how I feel.

I'm just doing what my manager says. I'm working out in the gym and they just tell me do this and do that.

I would have preferred to fight GSP of course. That's why I started this, to fight for the title. Money and the title. I came to fight for money. I came to fight for the title.

I think B.J.'s a lot better fighter than GSP to be honest. He's a lot better at jiu-jistu and boxing. All the way around.

(On losing his title shot) Of course I have regrets. I missed out on a ridiculous amount of money.

I've got all these business people and big money people making deals. Somebody is making 100 grand, or some ridiculous amount, to tell me what I'm supposed to do. You'd think someone would tell me to be at this press conference or I won't make sh*t.

Someone could have gave me a call about this conference call. I'm not sitting here with my thumb waiting for a phone call. I'm waiting for training.

I fight harder than these guys. I do better than these guys. I look better than these guys. Nobody can beat me.

I don't care about the Strikeforce belt. I never even put it on. B.J. can have it.

(On making his fight with B.J. Penn five rounds) It's whatever. It's really not up to me. Either way is fine.

Archived