UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Dana Whites second VBlog for 137 HERE

DW giving some time up for the fans again. I get that its all shameless selfpromoting from him, but like I said before, you won't find many people in his position being so hands on. Kudos.

The usual Ariel/Dana pre fight interview is Here

Roy Nelson in a suit and that beard is fucking great. Always looks like a bag of shit no matter what :)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Big Country weighed in at 256. He was fully clothed and wearing a fat suit, He'll keep everyone guessing until tomorrow.

:laugh: I'd piss myself if that turned out to be true and he reveals a six pack and Scott Steiner biceps as he gets in the cage.

bjvsdiaz.gif

Can't fucking wait for tonight!

• Paid Members

Weigh in results

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Nick Diaz (170) vs. B.J. Penn (169)

Cheick Kongo (234) vs. Matt Mitrione (255)

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (235) vs. Roy Nelson (252)

Jeff Curran (134) vs. Scott Jorgensen (135)

Hatsu Hioki (145) vs. George Roop (145)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Donald Cerrone (156) vs. Dennis Siver (155)

Tyson Griffin (149)* vs. Bart Palaszewski (146)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Eliot Marshall (204) vs. Brandon Vera (205)

Danny Downes (155) vs. Ramsey Nijem (155)

Chris Camozzi (185) vs. Francis Carmont (185)

Dustin Jacoby (185) vs. Clifford Starks (186)

Disappointed Tyson Griffin couldn't make weight. I hope it was a one off because if he can find a way to make weight and not take too much out of himself I really think he could do well at 145.

I'm always surprised how light Kongo comes in at. He looks fucking huge yet he weighs in less than Cro Cop. It doesn't make sense. Cro Cop looked in good shape physically too.

• Paid Members

Cro_Cop-Nelson_1_large.jpg

I had a feeling Diaz/Penn would get aggressive at the weigh in, the buildup has been very subdued and respectful (which is expected), but both guys are emotional fighters so i expected it to boil over. It's gonna be awesome.

With the clocks going back tonight, can anyone remember if we'll need to adjust the Sky+ recording time or will the box do that automatically?

i think it does it automatically. Might be best to record whats on before and after the show though? Sky+ has been playing up for me recently, i keep getting half recorded programs.

• Paid Members

can't wait to see how Hioki does, im kind of unfamiliar with him, but reading about him and looking at his record he looks legit. It kind of feels like he's flying the Japanese MMA flag on his back at this point. It still blows my mind that so many Japanese fighters (and fighters that compete in Japan) fail so often in America, wonder if Hioki will break the mould?

can't wait to see how Hioki does, im kind of unfamiliar with him, but reading about him and looking at his record he looks legit. It kind of feels like he's flying the Japanese MMA flag on his back at this point. It still blows my mind that so many Japanese fighters (and fighters that compete in Japan) fail so often in America, wonder if Hioki will break the mould?

Its also good to mention, George Roop always seems to shock people when being cast as the underdog.

• Paid Members

Its also good to mention, George Roop always seems to shock people when being cast as the underdog.

Yeah its got the ingredients of an upset but I'm still backing Hioki to submit the Daddylonglegs.

• Paid Members

Some predictions

BJ Penn vs Nick Diaz

One of the hardest to predict fights of the year for me. Could depend on how BJ decides to fight. I can see him trying to outwrestle Diaz like he tried with Fitch in their fight. If he stands then it's pretty much anyone's fight. I can't see either guy finishing the other but who knows?

I don't reckon Diaz's style of boxing would work too well for him in boxing but he gets away with it in MMA. I think BJ's boxing is just as good to be honest but I'd favour Diaz on the feet because I'm not sure how well BJ will cope with Diaz's pace and his reach and just the volume of punches. I think that could be the difference.

I'll say BJ takes the early part of the fight, maybe scoring with takedowns and getting some positions on the ground. I think Diaz will come on strong late. Fuck knows how that will translate in the 10-9 system but I'll go with Diaz by a close decision that the internet will be debating for days after :D

Diaz by decision but i don't give a fuck who wins, i just can't wait to see them fight

Cheick Kongo vs Matt Mitrione

Meathead has been impressive with how quick he's improved since TUF, but I can't help thinking he's not ready for this step up after just 5 fights. Kongo's no serious contender but he's very experienced and he's been in with some top cometition. He's a better striker aswell and Meathead can look a bit sloppy.

I like Meathead but I do think he's been way overrated on the net considering he's still pretty unproven. He beat some decent guys in his 5 fights but I've got a feeling Kongo will either pick him apart or push him against the fence and knee his legs and body (and probably his bollocks too) for 15 minutes.

I'll go with Kongo on points.

Mirko Cro Cop vs Roy Nelson

Got a bad feeling with this. Ever since this fight was announced I've had a bad feeling that Nelson will catch Mirko early with a big shot and put him out. I'll stick with it. Either way I just hope it's a good fight. I don't wanna see a repeat of Cro Cop vs Mir or Nelson vs Mir.

I think this will be it for Mirko in the UFC, and possibly the last fight of his career. I really hope he wins though, one last time.

Big Country by KO/TKO Round 1

For some of the other fights I'm going with

Hatsu Hioki vs George Roop

Hopefully Hioki can break the curse of top Japanese fighters in the UFC and get himself to the top of the division and into title contention. Roop always comes to win no matter how much of an underdog he is and I expect no different here but I think Hioki's grappling will be too much for him.

Hatsu Hioki by Submission Round 2

Scott Jorgensen vs Jeff Curran

I'm having Jorgensen here. He's in better form and Curran hasn't really had a win over a top guy for a long time. Still, he's been around forever and he could pull off the win. I just think Jorgensen has been fighting the consistently better opposition recently and that will give him the edge.

Scott Jorgensen by decision

Donald Cerrone vs Dennis Siver

This is another tough call but I think Cerrone has more ways to win this. He can hang with Siver on the feet, plus he has a pretty good height and reach advantage and if it hits the ground I'd give him the edge there.

Donald Cerrone by decision

Tyson Griffin vs Bart Palaszewski

I'm going with Bartimus by decision. This is mainly for the underdog bonus but Bart's hard to predict, he's pretty inconsistent. If the Bart who beat Pettis shows up I think this will be a great fight and he could pull out a win, especially if Tyson stands with him. Tyson coming in overweight might not mean much but maybe he's finding the cut difficult too.

Bart by decision

Penn/Diaz, Cerrone/Siver and Griffin/Bartimus should all be exciting wars. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them ends up taking FOTN honours tonight.

Archived