UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Penn will slow down around round 3, Diaz should take over and win the later rounds to sneak it on points.

I think Kongo is slowing down and Mitrione is on the rise, so I am picking Mitrione by suprising TKO. I am also going with Nelson, I just dont think Cro Cop has it in him anymore which is sad, I see Nelson winning a lopsided decision.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What a fucking fight Penn vs Diaz turned out to be. Every bit the war I was hoping for and even passed my expectations. Sad to see BJ go out like that but he went out on his shield still going for the KO with one eye and no gas left. There's no shame in that. He fought his arse off but he was battered tonight in a way that I just don't think he could come back from mentally. It's one thing to be beat by GSP and outpositioned and roughed up but the beating he took tonight was bad. I've never seen him hit so much and look so busted up in a fight.

Diaz vs GSP is now a much bigger fight than it would have been had it taken place tonight. Carlos Condit's probably gonna get left out in the cold though unfortunately. I guess we'll see what happens but there's no doubt a GSP/Diaz PPV will be more appealing to the UFC than GSP/Condit at this point.

I thought Cro Cop went out with a good showing all in all too. That's about as much as we can expect from him at this stage and he really went for it in round 2. I hope Cro Cop does stay retired now, he's got fuck all left to prove and he doesn't need the money. He's had a great career.

Man, 2 legends and 2 of my favourite fighters hanging 'em up on the same night. It's kind of bittersweet but I think they've both cemented their place as all time legends in MMA.

Rest of the card was hit and miss I thought.

Hioki didn't have a great showing. I didn't think it was a bad decision. Very close fight, all depends how you scored round 1. Thought Roop did very well to defend himself on the ground.

Jorgensen/Curran was a good technical fight. Curran looked good. Glad to see Jorgensen get the win, closer fight than I expected. I thought Curran won round 1 off his back and the other 2 were fairly close too.

Meathead/Kongo went about how I expected, wasn't much of a fight. Did anyone else find Rogan really fucking annoying on the commentary? Kongo would land a punch to the sound of silence, Meathead would wave his arms and hit air and Rogan would be almost jizzing himself with excitement and going on and on about how Meathead's so improved and his striking's so fluid. I really like Joe Rogan but that was some proper biased commentary again.

Cerrone and Bartimus were really impressive on the prelims. Cerrone has gotta be right there in title contention. If something happens with Guida/Bendo, like maybe a dodgy decision or the winner is banged up I could deffo see the Cowboy getting the next title shot. It's gotta be between Cerrone and the Guida/Bendo winner for sure.

Tyson Griffin will probably get his walking papers now. He's probably gonna end up back at 155 but I can't see the UFC keeping him around. Shame cause I always liked Tyson and at one point he looked like he was on the verge of breaking into that top level at 155 until it all went tits up.

Overall I'd say it was a decent show with a fucking awesome main event. The Penn/Diaz fight totally made this card for me. One of my favourite fights of the year easy along with Edgar/Maynard 2 and 3 and Diaz/Daley.

Dana announced at the press conference that GSP vs. Diaz will take place on Superbowl weekend!

Condit has agreed to step aside (likely with a healthy financial reward), he will also fight against someone TBA on the Superbowl weekend show.

Dana said Diaz infuriated GSP to the extent that he (GSP) begged Dana to make that fight rather than vs. Condit.

GSP said: "he's the most disrespectful human being I've ever met and I'm going to put the worst beating on him."

And heres a beard-less Roy Nelson (for those who turned off before the credits):

j0a5g6.jpg

Archived