UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The last person who tried to disrespect GSP bout his eye broken. I see much of the same happening to Diaz to be honest. I love Diaz and can't wait for the fight but think GSP will be too much for him. The hype for this fight is going to be crazy.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
He's back in the big leagues now. We'll see how it all works when he goes against St-Pierre.

Say what you want about his cornermen, but they have guided him to a pretty impressive win streak right now. And no one is saying he will beat GSP, but it's the fight that everyone now wants to see and should be a great watch.

He's back in the big leagues now. We'll see how it all works when he goes against St-Pierre.

Say what you want about his cornermen, but they have guided him to a pretty impressive win streak right now. And no one is saying he will beat GSP, but it's the fight that everyone now wants to see and should be a great watch.

Any streak that includes the likes of Frank Shamrock, Evangelista Cyborg & Scott Smith has to be taken with a large pinch of salt though.

I know he's getting a shot against St-Pierre because he's the Strikeforce champion and all of that jazz, but can you honestly tell me that you would pick Nick Diaz in fights against Jon Fitch, Josh Koshcheck, Jake Ellenberger or even Jake Shields?

I'd take all four to beat him without too much trouble.

• Paid Members

Any streak that includes the likes of Frank Shamrock, Evangelista Cyborg & Scott Smith has to be taken with a large pinch of salt though.

I know he's getting a shot against St-Pierre because he's the Strikeforce champion and all of that jazz, but can you honestly tell me that you would pick Nick Diaz in fights against Jon Fitch, Josh Koshcheck, Jake Ellenberger or even Jake Shields?

I'd take all four to beat him without too much trouble.

A win streak is a win streak, hes beaten whats infront of him, vacated his SF belt and retired Penn, he cant do much more than that. How many of those 4 guys would do what Diaz did to Penn? And GSP has already beaten 3 of them so there we go.

Diaz/GSP is the money fight, no questions asked.

Yeah, it's the "money fight". It also shows the UFC are less interested in the actual sporting aspect of things as well. Dana White had said publicly that Carlos Condit would get that title shot regardless of the result of the Penn vs Diaz fight.

Now he changes his mind because Diaz shouts and swears a few times whilst gurning his face in a post-fight interview. Despite the fact that Condit poses much more of a threat (and is the better fighter in my view), he gets shafted basically.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's the "money fight". It also shows the UFC are less interested in the actual sporting aspect of things as well. Dana White had said publicly that Carlos Condit would get that title shot regardless of the result of the Penn vs Diaz fight.

Now he changes his mind because Diaz shouts and swears a few times whilst gurning his face in a post-fight interview. Despite the fact that Condit poses much more of a threat (and is the better fighter in my view), he gets shafted basically.

Hadn't Condit said that he told Dana to make GSP/Diaz?

My original point with John Galt was nothing to do with John fitch or anyone of the guys you mentioned, but as always you bring that up. And after Diaz beat Penn (Which Fitch couldn't do) I believe he deserves it more. Not only is it the 'money fight', it's the most relevant too.

• Paid Members

What happens when Diaz no shows all the press this time then? Diaz is like Sonnen but without personality with his awful tactics. I'm hoping that GSP wins and wins big quickly. Condit has been well and truly shafted here. Even though if by some miracle Diaz beats GSP I think that Condit will take Diaz regardless.

• Paid Members
What happens when Diaz no shows all the press this time then? Diaz is like Sonnen but without personality with his awful tactics. I'm hoping that GSP wins and wins big quickly. Condit has been well and truly shafted here. Even though if by some miracle Diaz beats GSP I think that Condit will take Diaz regardless.

You know something we don't?

If Condit volunteered to step aside, the What's the problem?

GSP vs Diaz will do double the PPV buys than the Condit fight would, the UFC would be crazy not to do this fight.

They should have went with the fight originally then, shouldn't they? Dana White made an arse of it by trying to be Billy Big Bollocks when Diaz didn't show up for the pre-fight press engagements. Any other sporting team or organisation on the planet would have issued a fine and a slap on the wrists for such antics.

MMA is a sport, the UFC is a business. You have to remember that this is a star driven sport. It's not always the best fighters that sell the most buys and PPV tickets (there are exceptions to this rule, GSP and Chuck Liddell are examples). One of the biggest drawing feuds in UFC contained 3 one-sided beatings but it still drew big time because of the personality's of the fighters.

Like him or not (and I chose not) Diaz is a star, he gets people talking and interested in a fight which is what counts. He has the streak behind him. UFC needs to make this fight. The difference between a Condit fight and a diaz fight is about 400,000 buys and in this climate of lower PPV buys, this is a match (as well as Sonnen Vs Silver) that the company has to make!

• Paid Members

David - So is it Diaz, Dana or GSP to blame?

As far as the other relevant challengers, 3 of them were easily beaten by GSP. Ellenberger probably needs another win. I Agree the thing could have been handled better, but the way your putting this across is that Diaz shouldn't be getting a shot, when in reality, it makes so much sense.

Mr Tibbs - Agreed 100%

MMA is a sport, the UFC is a business. You have to remember that this is a star driven sport. It's not always the best fighters that sell the most buys and PPV tickets (there are exceptions to this rule, GSP and Chuck Liddell are examples). One of the biggest drawing feuds in UFC contained 3 one-sided beatings but it still drew big time because of the personality's of the fighters.

Like him or not (and I chose not) Diaz is a star, he gets people talking and interested in a fight which is what counts. He has the streak behind him. UFC needs to make this fight. The difference between a Condit fight and a diaz fight is about 400,000 buys and in this climate of lower PPV buys, this is a match (as well as Sonnen Vs Silver) that the company has to make!

I'm not arguing with any of those points. I'm saying that when the fucking President of a company drops someone from a main event title fight it's usually safe to assume that the person involved was guilty of something pretty major, and that he didn't do it simply as a dick waving exercise.

When the same President makes a claim that the guy who steps up will get the next title shot "reagrdless of who wins" a certain fight he really has a duty to keep his word. White painted himself into a corner in this instance, and it shows a complete lack of professionalism on his part.

These guys are getting a big break on FOX Sports shortly, a network that carries some real pro sports franchises and leagues. If the UFC want to be considered a legit sporting company (as they've claimed on numerous occasions) they should really start acting like one.

David - So is it Diaz, Dana or GSP to blame?

Dana White, 100%. Diaz should have been in the main event for the title in the first place. White made a roaring cunt of it.

• Paid Members

And no one is saying that Dana didn't fuck this up, or that it couldn't be handled in a better way, but your earlier posts seem to have some problem with Diaz getting the shot (questionable win streak and your comments on Fitch etc)

I don't really see what your getting at.

Archived