UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

this whole thread discussion has led to me not actually posting thoughts on the card...here's my ultra-quick thoughts:

* Brandon Vera looked disapointing again, but he squeezed out the win. Its one of those weird situations though where i think Vera was caught in that tight armbar actually helped Vera's stock a little, it showed a level of balls that Vera's never had to show before. Tough guys for sure. Not sure where Marshall goes? he spoke about retirement if he lost but i think he performed well enough to justify carrying on.

* Hioki was ultra-disappointing. He won, but he did little to prove to anyone that he's the no.2 guy in the world. Roop is an awkward fighter but in reality this was as show case for Hioki and it's one he failed in. It was a small win for Japanese MMA but not the grand gesture they (and i) were hoping for.

* Mitrione/Kongo was a poor fight. I kind of thought it might go like that, Kongo has a tendency to fight safe and he found a way to do it here and fair play to him he pulled it off. Mitrione looked lost against a guy that wouldn't stand in front of him, and in hindsight was probably a valuable lesson for him in his career. Not sure where Kongo goes? he's on a roll but i don't think he made a statement to be pushed up to a no.1 contender fight or anything. I'd like to see a Mir rematch somewhere down the line. Kongo/Nelson?

* Curran/Jorgensen was a quality little fight, i had a feeling that Jorgensen was going to smash through Curran but Curran definitly proved he deserved his shot in the UFC (after a disastrous WEC run), nice to see a veteran get a reward for his commitment too.

* Cowboy Cerrone is fucking outstanding. He'll be on my short list for fighter of the year. He absolutely decimated Siver. I think everyone believed that in a standup situation, this was Siver's fight but Cerrone showed him no respect (like he promised) and walked through the German. How can you not love the Cowboy?

* Palaszewski/Griffin. Wow, what has happened to Tyson Griffin? In '09 he was pretty much seen as a top talent at 155, but he seems to have gone on a Joe Stevenson-esque fall from grace. The Gamburyan win means he'll get another shot but this could have been his walking papers. The fact that he missed weight probably means that something was wrong going in, so i wouldnt be surprised if we hear excuses coming out. Great win for Palaszewski though, he's a underrated little fighter, never in a poor fight.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
* Palaszewski/Griffin. Wow, what has happened to Tyson Griffin? In '09 he was pretty much seen as a top talent at 155, but he seems to have gone on a Joe Stevenson-esque fall from grace. The Gamburyan win means he'll get another shot but this could have been his walking papers. The fact that he missed weight probably means that something was wrong going in, so i wouldnt be surprised if we hear excuses coming out. Great win for Palaszewski though, he's a underrated little fighter, never in a poor fight.

I know, its a weird situation. Tyson was on a great little run. He was winning exciting fights and the knock was he kept going to decisions. He finally got that big KO finish against Franca and then it all just went to shit for no obvious reason. Some of it was bad luck (i thought he won the Lentz and Sherk fights) but there's no doubt he needs to get his shit together and quick. The Joe Daddy comparison is a good one. It's a shame, I'm a big fan of Tyson but his career's on it's arse now.

Back when he fought Frankie Edgar that fight was so close and evenly matched you'd have never guessed they're careers would take such different paths. Edgar is now considered the best in the world at 155 and Tyson is barely clinging to his job.

I wonder if he'll stay at 145 or try and go back to 155 now? Missing weight by 4 pounds is a bad sign. Maybe he was injured or maybe he just struggles to make that weight now. If he gets another shot it will be a last chance situation for sure.

Credit to Bart though. He's pretty inconsistent from fight to fight results wise but he always brings it. Never a dull fight.

Archived