UFC 137: 'Penn vs Diaz' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys like Fitch and Sheilds should move up to 185.

Has Fitch ever spoken about moving up?

I dont think so

However he is massive for 170, so he should be able to pull it of quite well. Koscheck has been talking about moving up for sometime and Sheilds beat some top talent in his 185lbs stint.

• Paid Members

Fitch has fought at 185 in the past. He actually started his UFC career at middleweight if I remember right but moved to 170 after 1 or 2 fights.

I'd like to see him give 185 another bash. And despite the fact he's not as big as Chael Sonnen, he's arguably an even worse style match for Anderson than Sonnen is because not only is he an excellent wrestler he's damn near unsubmittable these days.

I'm not the biggest fan of Fitch but to me he has 100% earned another crack at GSP. Aside from the GSP loss he's unbeaten in the UFC and I had him winning the fight with BJ aswell. I can see the winner of Diaz/Penn or Ellenberger jumping ahead of him though.

The problem for Fitch is, if Dana and Joe think he's too "boring" to get a shot at 170lbs, why would they think any differently at 185lbs?

At 185, Fitch won't have the size advantage he has at welterweight, so theoretically he won't be able to blanket guys as easy and his fights won't be as boring. I'd love to see his striking and submission game, I feel like I'm yet to see it in almost 3 years of watching him.

• Paid Members
The problem for Fitch is, if Dana and Joe think he's too "boring" to get a shot at 170lbs, why would they think any differently at 185lbs?

At 185, Fitch won't have the size advantage he has at welterweight, so theoretically he won't be able to blanket guys as easy and his fights won't be as boring. I'd love to see his striking and submission game, I feel like I'm yet to see it in almost 3 years of watching him.

I'd recommend you try tracking down some of his early UFC fights from the Fight Night shows if you can find 'em. I'd say his fights with Roan Carneiro, Josh Burkman and the first fight with Thiago Alves are some of his best fights. The Diego Sanchez fight from UFC 76 was a really good fight aswell.

I'm not the biggest fan of Fitch but to me he has 100% earned another crack at GSP.

Exactly. That fight was over three years ago as well!

I can see the winner of Diaz/Penn or Ellenberger jumping ahead of him though.

Which is one reason why the UFC will never be fully regarded as a sport. Could you imagine UEFA deciding that Inter Milan were "too boring" to play in the Champions League final? We're better off with exciting, attacking teams like Man Utd & Barca, so let's just not allow Milan to play in the final.

I know that a fighter being exciting is great for business and so forth, but part of sport is actually winning too. When someone wins eight in a row, then loses a title fight via decision only to go on an unbeaten run of another six fights it would suggest that he's about due another crack at the title.

I'm not the biggest fan of Fitch but to me he has 100% earned another crack at GSP.

Which is one reason why the UFC will never be fully regarded as a sport. Could you imagine UEFA deciding that Inter Milan were "too boring" to play in the Champions League final? We're better off with exciting, attacking teams like Man Utd & Barca, so let's just not allow Milan to play in the final.

I know that a fighter being exciting is great for business and so forth, but part of sport is actually winning too. When someone wins eight in a row, then loses a title fight via decision only to go on an unbeaten run of another six fights it would suggest that he's about due another crack at the title.

No its becoming more and more pro-wrestling. If you are boring, there are now 5 guys who are knocking people out and really finish fights. Those are the guys paid the most cause those are the fighters people want to see. MMA is about making fights people want to see because thats how you survive as a MMA promotion.

Thats why this event has a shit main fight.. instead of using the heat Diaz created by not showing up to stuff and make the fight fans want to see. Sports are boring, lets not make MMA one.

If Fitch would have gotten the verdict against BJ, I think he may have gotten a title shot. In this day and age in the UFC, you cant get a title shot coming of a draw.

If he beats Hendricks and maybe say a Jake Sheilds, I think the UFC will eventually gave him another.

Replace Inter Milan with Chelsea and that's what we got 3 years ago :p

No its becoming more and more pro-wrestling.

That's the issue here. The UFC need to be careful on how they tread moving forward. They're on the cusp of getting that recognised "real sports" stamp of approval that they've been looking for for years. The FOX deal is a major part of that.

The whole "pro wrestling" gimmick is fine to an extent, and every sport has it, be it the NBA, baseball, MLB, boxing or whatever, but you don't want to let that aspect of it determine who gets title shots.

If someone is skilled & has a personality, then great (like Chael Sonnen, for example). You can't keep people out of the title fights because the guys with the beach muscles and the Affliction shirts in the crowd boo them though.

Sports are boring, lets not make MMA one.

Sports may be "boring", but pro wrestling is a complete joke in the eyes of most. Let's hope that MMA doesn't end up the same way.

• Paid Members

Winning fights should always be the main priority when deciding who gets title shots, no doubt.

Having exciting, marketable fighters challenge for the belt is always a bonus but if someone like Fitch keeps winning he should be given the same chance as anyone else and it's up to Zuffa's marketing team to try and come up with a selling point. It would be good if Fitch hyped himself a bit more but it's just not in some people. Not everyone can talk like Sonnen, Hardy and Mir.

If you are boring, there are now 5 guys who are knocking people out and really finish fights. Those are the guys paid the most cause those are the fighters people want to see. MMA is about making fights people want to see because thats how you survive as a MMA promotion.

What about the guys that want to win their fights and be the very best? Are they to be punished for not being exciting? Fucking nonsense. Jon Fitch is clearly ahead of pretty much everyone not named GSP in the WW division and the fact that he doesn't get a title shot is a joke. Wasn't he supposed to get a title shot after he rag dolled Silva as well?

Thats why this event has a shit main fight.. instead of using the heat Diaz created by not showing up to stuff and make the fight fans want to see. Sports are boring, lets not make MMA one.

This event does not have a shit main fight. Might not be as exciting a prospect as Diaz vs. GSP, but it's not shit.

As for that last sentence, just fuck off.

• Paid Members
No its becoming more and more pro-wrestling.

That's the issue here. The UFC need to be careful on how they tread moving forward. They're on the cusp of getting that recognised "real sports" stamp of approval that they've been looking for for years. The FOX deal is a major part of that.

Boxing is a real sport and the way they make fights is an absolute joke. Guys get title fights off defeats all the time. I know many people say that's what harms boxing but at the end of the day it's all about giving people the fights they want to see.

That's Jon Fitch's problem, no one wants to see him fight.

Archived