WHAT DID YOU?!

NEWM

Not including your paper round.

Mine was working at a Doughnut and Waffle hole in the wall place on Filey seafront. Endless freebies, a window to the girls from school wearing their real life clothes down the beach, and a shit hot blue t-shirt with the waffle shop logo on it. And they gave me

• Paid Members

My Dad got me a job on my summer holidays in 2003. He drove a lorry for this waste disposal place, so for three months I was working in their warehouse, knee deep in other people's garbage. It was hard going for a fifteen year old, working from 7.30am to 5pm five days a week and from half 7 to 12 on a Saturday. I can still remember the whiff of the sun hitting off the mountains and mountains of waste.

Earned about €350 every week for three months. For a teenager who was still living at home, I felt like an absolute millionaire. 50 Euro a week went to my Ma, sure, but the rest was mine. I'm fairly sure I blew all of it by the time school rolled around in September.

I'd kill to earn that sort of money again.

A weekend job working at a men's suit shop in Newcastle. Though it wasn't commission-based, it was one of those jobs where you're expected to try and sell the customer more than they actually came in for, and they had a system whereby you had to accompany your customers to the checkout and ring through your ID code with their purchase so they could keep track of who was selling what.

I fucking hated it, and lasted all of two weekends. Aside from hating the general public and those oily cunts who try to talk you into buying shit you don't need (in this case, me), we had to listen to this awful middle-of-the-road pop CD on a loop for 8 hours at a time while walking the floor and smiling at arseholes. The coup-de-grace came when I ended up in an in-house slanging match after walking round with a middle-aged couple for half an hour and helping them to choose a couple of hundred quid's worth of clothes, only for this forty-something shrew who'd been working there for years to barge in front of me at the counter and claim the sale as her own on the basis that she'd been the first one to say hello to them when they walked through the door (never mind that the sallow-faced cunt hadn't bothered herself to say a word to them after that).

It put me off the retail/customer service industry for life - I'm delighted to say I've never had to even consider it as a job again, but if times got desperate I'd honestly rather sweep the streets than work in a clothes shop again.

• Awards Moderator

Bar/waiting work at a little village hotel. I was absolutely abysmal at both and got the hell away at the first opportunity (lasted about a month). I could pull a pint but I don't drink much so had no idea what went into most of the drinks people were ordering, the bottle openers and corkscrews were (1) shite and (2) right-handed so I couldn't use the fuckers properly - ended up buying one myself and taking it to shifts with me to spare the humiliation every time I had to open something - and I had (have) an absolute inability to hold more than one hot plate, so serving people in the restaurant was a total hell that I never stopped dreading. One plate I could just about manage, but two was ... I just couldn't do it, never mind putting it on the tables without it going everywhere and the plate clanging like I'd just chucked it at them. And if it was a big table with loads of people and I had to lean across people ... there was an incident where I smashed at least two bottles of wine and several glasses while trying to put a plate down properly. I was appalling. My last shift there, I somehow managed to make it look like I was so busy going and forth between rooms that I never had to pick up a plate the entire time.

The thing is, a couple of years later I started doing the occasional bit of private-service work at my current place of work, and I had to plead with the head butler never to make me wait on during dinners as I had a pathological fear of serving food or drink. It took him around three years to finally convince me I wouldn't make a massive fuck-up of it if I had another go, but eventually he won me round (how, I'll never know, but I thank him for it) and I managed to help serve a big five course dinner, in a much more VIP and danger-fraught environment than that hotel could have wished for in its wildest dreams, without doing anything wrong. A happy ending :thumbsup:

Worked at the Millennium Stadium at the food and drink stands when I was about 17. Absolutely hideous job. I had to be there about 2 hours before the shift actually started and about 2 hours after it finished for some reason, which was spent doing pretty much nothing at all. It was freezing in there and all they gave us was these tiny little sweatshirts that were ridiculously thin, I always had customers asking me if I was OK because my lips were blue. The staff there were cunts too. I eventually just stopped turning up and never heard from them again.

Archived