Police to probe Kids "Cage Fight" in Preston

bAzTNM#1

No one seems to complain about parents screaming shouting swearing at very young children on a football pitch.

You need to read up on the RESPECT campaign.

yeah but how many follow it.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
No one seems to complain about parents screaming shouting swearing at very young children on a football pitch.

No idea about other County FA's but in ours, it's been pretty unanimously adopted and enforced.

I've done tae kwan do training with boys as young as 8, and see nothing wrong with it. This grappling is even less dangerous than that, as it seems to involve no striking. Much ado about nothing I reckon.

Training is a world away from this though. I do feel that elements of the media are using this as another stick to beat MMA with.

• Paid Members
I've done tae kwan do training with boys as young as 8, and see nothing wrong with it. This grappling is even less dangerous than that, as it seems to involve no striking. Much ado about nothing I reckon.

Training is a world away from this though. I do feel that elements of the media are using this as another stick to beat MMA with.

I think that's a problem. The perception of MMA in this country is often still of some "fight to the death" sport. As a result, you get people being ridiculously defensive while you get the usual idiots who'll go OTT about anything. Decent debate on here though, mostly.

I'm in full agreement with Loki about participation, no problem with it at all. In the right environment.

No idea about other County FA's but in ours, it's been pretty unanimously adopted and enforced.

I havent been to many kids games just a few to watch me mates son and some of the parents are unbearable. Most seem to think if you shout at your lad he will run quicker or something. When i was a kid i hated my mam coming to watch is play most of the guys did on my team one or two parents had kicked off at our coach. If kids play sports parents shouldnt be able to watch or the divvy ones shouldnt be allowed

• Paid Members

I havent been to many kids games just a few to watch me mates son and some of the parents are unbearable. Most seem to think if you shout at your lad he will run quicker or something. When i was a kid i hated my mam coming to watch is play most of the guys did on my team one or two parents had kicked off at our coach. If kids play sports parents shouldnt be able to watch or the divvy ones shouldnt be allowed

I stopped going along to local matches here in Kent, with and without my kids because it was intolerable at a lot of games.

I listened to the promotor on the radio this morning and he said with the young kids that it was just grappling. Maybe it would have been a good idea to wear headgear or something, but if its grappling then I don't think it's a big deal. Thing is though.. do those kids have a license to fight MMA? Kids train in Karate, Judo and other Martial arts from a young age. I don't see the big deal if these kids are having matches in MMA as long as it is just grappling and no strikes. I think that the publicity has been negative because of the idea that they are fighting in a cage. It's nice to see that cage still means something in combat terms...

• Paid Members
I listened to the promotor on the radio this morning and he said with the young kids that it was just grappling. Maybe it would have been a good idea to wear headgear or something, but if its grappling then I don't think it's a big deal. Thing is though.. do those kids have a license to fight MMA? Kids train in Karate, Judo and other Martial arts from a young age. I don't see the big deal if these kids are having matches in MMA as long as it is just grappling and no strikes. I think that the publicity has been negative because of the idea that they are fighting in a cage. It's nice to see that cage still means something in combat terms...

Thats absolutely the issue. These kids, so far as i can tell, were not competing in MMA. From what i've seen it was a submission/grappling contest like those i guess take place frequently on mats in gym halls all over the world - once again, the most prominent aspect of the reporting seems to centre entirely around the fact that the contest took place within a cage.

Had the kids been in Gi's rolling on gym floor mat, this story dosent even make the news. I do question the decision of putting these kids out there in front of a crowd who paid up to watch Adult MMA. As much as the likes of us can have an educated debate about the sport, there's no doubting your local crowd will consist of, albeit not entirely, loudmouth thuggish "Knock him out!" types.

This is a complete non story, however, it seems to me that even the people the media are choosing to interview in the 'pro' camp (The kids father for example) are almost handpicked to demonstrate that anyone interested in Mixed Martial Arts is some sort of caveman.

The thing i resent is the term "Cage Fighting" sums up the problem in one word. Its the cage element that dominates the discussions and proves yet again that the media need educating and fast.

I actually think it's really admirable that someone like Bisping made comments on the web artice, at some point the UK based athletes need to do their bit to get out there and put in some ground work in the PR department that isnt entirely focused around promoting their upcoming pay day.

Not that I know much abot the topic but to people claiming that you have to have a cage because it makes it safer and stops people falling out of the ring, does the match/fight actually need to take place on a raised platform? Could it not take place with the same amount of padding, or perhaps more, on the floor? People often learn to take judo moves on gym mats do they not? Surely the idea that you need a cage is bollocks. You do if its taking part on an elevated platform. And if its takign part on an elevatedp latform then that's presumably for the entertainment of the audience? The audience which we can safely assuming were there for cage fighting, and everything that entails and would have been rather rowdy. And would, therefore, have been encouraging the children. Who would have been competing in an atmosphere that would pump up their adrenaline. An article already mentiosn that they stretched the rules slighty but supposes that they did not understand them, perhaps it is more that they ignored them?

I just don't see how a cage is needed because I don't see how an elevated ring is needed. Maybe someone will prove me wrong on that. Plus people seem to be looking at the cage from the outside. The issue isn't so much that two kids fighting in a cage in front of a drunk labour club audience looks barbaric to people outside of the event, it's surely that an atmosphere like that could easily make an impression on an eight year old. Hell, when I was eleven and coming out of a cinema having seen a James Bond movie I put on a swagger and acted like I was the coolest kid alive. Because of the atmosphere.

It's all well and good to say 'i've done karate and i've trained in this and i've trained with kids as young as 8' but the fact is these kids aren't trained in anything, they're just rolling around in a mat grappling each other. They might not be hurting each other but really if they're not hurting each other and they're not trained in a sport.........what the hell are they doing! Everything has a purpose, Karate has a purpose, heck even pro wrestling has a purpose. But you have kids that aren't even trained in anything rolling around on a mat, inside a cage which serves no purpose other than to appeal to MMA fans and what is the point again? Of course you will get the thuggish types that want to see a blood bath, they're baying for blood, the kind that go to underground kennel fights and watch dogs rip each other to shreds, the kind of people that exist in the seedy underbelly of society. What do the kids think about it all? Do they really think they're 'fighting' or 'competing'? Surely they're not that stupid.

The only reason fights need to take place on a rasied platform is so a large crowd can see what's going on. There's no reason for kids to be wrestling in front of a large crowd. They should do it on a mat, on the floor. Like amateur wrestling.

See there's this debate about whether the cage should be there or not. But everyone seems to be missing the obvious reason its there. For practicality reasons.

The cage is there because there are some ligit amateur fights that require a cage (or ring) for the safety of the audience and the competitors.

So the promoter, as a treat, is allowing his young trainees a opportunity to spar in front of the crowd. This isn't anything new, surreal or dangerous. In kickboxing, amatuer wrestling and other martial arts, clubs regularly old shows and allow some of their younger members to compete in a controlled environment at a live show. Its a nice incentive to the kids, and helps build a sense of community within the club.

What do we expect the promoter to do? Take down the cage to avoid controversy? It's utterly unnecessary. Its not a danger to them, so why exclude them from the opportunity to compete in front of friends / family / the clubs loyal members?

In other words, this isn't a case of "hay lets stick some kids in cage and see what happens", its more of a case of "let have the a couple of lads from the junior classes compete at the show as a way to reward their hard work."

• Paid Members

Gareth A. Davies comments

The moral outrage was risible. A video of two boys grappling in a cage, ringcard girls, and a crowd cheering. No question there were things out of place here. But this wasn't mixed martial arts. Or 'cagefighting', as it is referred to on the high moral ground of news pages.

Sky and the BBC's newsdesks both went in search of experts to explain what we were seeing. The problem is that they don't have anyone who does actually report on the sport.

Both the BBC

Archived