Police to probe Kids "Cage Fight" in Preston

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Just when MMA was making big progress something like this happens. It's clearly just a grappling exhibition thing and they're jumping on the chance to bash MMA or 'Cage Fighting' as they prefer to call it.

The problem is, as harmless as it is, the promoters have opened themselves up to ciritcism here. With the Warrior film coming out they must have known the media would be looking at MMA and by putting 2 kids in a cage, as stupid as it seems they've kina given them ammunition to make the sport look bad. The media sees the cage and think it's barbaric and bloodthirsty.

Some of the comments on the article are pathetic and the people who made them clearly have just looked at the pictures and assumed these kids were kicking the shit out of each other. When in reality it's no different than a kid learning and competing in karate as many do from a young age. If I had a kid I'd rather he/she spent their weekends learning martial arts than fighting in the street, shoplifting, looting or whatever yet these dickheads make out like this is just as bad.

Nice to see Rosi Sexton talking sense on this. They should get Dan Hardy on it aswell, he handles stuff like this really well and is well spoken and good at debating with the anti-MMA folk. I think the media will be surprised to find there's some really intelligent people in MMA.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The oppertunity to grapple/wrestle/box/horse ride/play tennis/run/kick a ball (or any sport) in front of a crowd (especially at a young age) is part of the training of that sport.

This was an oppertunity for two training youngsters to step up and display what they have learnt in an environment that suits the sport, the exact same way as any other sport has ever done.

the fact it was in a `cage` makes no difference. it was a controlled environment and listed as an `exibition of training` just like any other sport does.

If people have a problem with this perhaps they also have a problem with boxing, swordfencing, swimming or a school sports day!

The frontcover of the metro this morning made the event seem scandalous. They blurred out the kids faces.. making it seem like some sort of illegal underground cage fighting story. Must be a slow newsday if this was front cover.

Gareth A. Davies comments

The moral outrage was risible. A video of two boys grappling in a cage, ringcard girls, and a crowd cheering. No question there were things out of place here. But this wasn't mixed martial arts. Or 'cagefighting', as it is referred to on the high moral ground of news pages.

Sky and the BBC's newsdesks both went in search of experts to explain what we were seeing. The problem is that they don't have anyone who does actually report on the sport.

Both the BBC

• Paid Members

Apologies if this has already been posted

They're not striking each other. This is a demonstration wrestling/grappling event. No punches or kicks are allowed. Still that doesn't stop the complete reactionary idiots commenting on this article giving their 2 p worth and being made to look complete twonks. Football is far more violent at this age. This is a tightly controlled event between two trained youngsters.

- Michael Bisping, Manchester, 21/9/2011 21:14

and this 2006 pic nfc90210 posted in the MMA thread

dailymail.jpg

'Death'?

'Banned in America'?

'World Cage Fighting Championship'?

nice to see they did their research :D

Just when MMA was making big progress something like this happens. It's clearly just a grappling exhibition thing and they're jumping on the chance to bash MMA or 'Cage Fighting' as they prefer to call it.

Give it a few weeks and the clip will be featured on one of those god awful web clip shows ranked below a video of an orangutang masturbating in its own feces.

Surely the idea that you need a cage is bollocks.

Nope.

The cage is vital for the mechanics of the bouts. Grappling takes place up against the fences at times, and that is a part of the sport. Even if they were only sparring with non contact rules as far as striking, they do need to get used to competing in the correct environment for their sport.

Not that I know much abot the topic but to people claiming that you have to have a cage because it makes it safer and stops people falling out of the ring, does the match/fight actually need to take place on a raised platform? Could it not take place with the same amount of padding, or perhaps more, on the floor? People often learn to take judo moves on gym mats do they not?

As someone has already, correctly said: competing (even in a none competitive environment) at their show will give them something to aspire to, a reward for hard work and training. The cage would have to be there for the main show. Sure they can grapple on mats in training, but the prize here would be to get into the real environment for the sport.

The only thing I would change in this case would be to have the children

Apologies if this has already been posted

They're not striking each other. This is a demonstration wrestling/grappling event. No punches or kicks are allowed. Still that doesn't stop the complete reactionary idiots commenting on this article giving their 2 p worth and being made to look complete twonks. Football is far more violent at this age. This is a tightly controlled event between two trained youngsters.

- Michael Bisping, Manchester, 21/9/2011 21:14

and this 2006 pic nfc90210 posted in the MMA thread

dailymail.jpg

'Death'?

'Banned in America'?

'World Cage Fighting Championship'?

nice to see they did their research :D

To be fair it is still banned in some parts of America, and the story of the death it mentions is actually true. Although, I'm not sure if the crowd of 4,000 were really shouting "Kill the Yankee!"

• Paid Members

It is illegal in New York, which is the big problem. In other states where it wasn't regulated, they just have to get the commission to agree to regulate it. In New York they can't do anything until the state government repeals it, which keeps getting put on the backburner because its not a priority to politicians.

I've done tae kwan do training with boys as young as 8, and see nothing wrong with it. This grappling is even less dangerous than that, as it seems to involve no striking. Much ado about nothing I reckon.

Training is a world away from this though. I do feel that elements of the media are using this as another stick to beat MMA with.

I think that's a problem. The perception of MMA in this country is often still of some "fight to the death" sport. As a result, you get people being ridiculously defensive while you get the usual idiots who'll go OTT about anything. Decent debate on here though, mostly.

I'm in full agreement with Loki about participation, no problem with it at all. In the right environment.

It's a couple of lads having a roll around in front of a crowd - good experience for them, I would imagine they are the club's brightest two young stars and earmarked as possible competitive fighters one day.

I've seen kids bust each other up way worse than this in training - I remember boxing when I was about 8 or 9, and getting a bloody nose, and that was still nothing in comparison to the injuries I inflicted on myself falling out of trees, off a bike and so on.

At the risk of sounding all Daily Mail, kids are overly-protected nowadays and I don't think it's good for them in the long term.

Archived