Police to probe Kids "Cage Fight" in Preston

bAzTNM#1

Now here's the thing; There are judo, boxing, kickboxing, karate, muay tai, jiu jitsu etc and they all run regular contests and events and even in these it's kids as young as 6, 7 or 8. So why are they blowing this all out of proportion? The kids at this cage fighting event aren't striking each other, it's more of a shoot/submission style. It's so stupid how the media are looking at it in a bad light.

I know, there was a picture in The Mirrior today where it looked like one of the kids was elbowing the other, I usually dont mind The Mirrior but they did mislead people with that as it did look like striking was allowed based on that picture.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now here's the thing; There are judo, boxing, kickboxing, karate, muay tai, jiu jitsu etc and they all run regular contests and events and even in these it's kids as young as 6, 7 or 8. So why are they blowing this all out of proportion? The kids at this cage fighting event aren't striking each other, it's more of a shoot/submission style. It's so stupid how the media are looking at it in a bad light.

Surely it comes back to the point that it's taking place in front of pissed up adults (a good proportion of whom will likely be meatheads with violent tendencies, judging by your average smalltime 'cage fighting' crowd in the UK)? That's what differentiates it from most other amateur martial arts involving kids, and what a lot of people find troubling about it.

• Paid Members

Surely it comes back to the point that it's taking place in front of pissed up adults (a good proportion of whom will likely be meatheads with violent tendencies, judging by your average smalltime 'cage fighting' crowd in the UK)? That's what differentiates it from most other amateur martial arts involving kids, and what a lot of people find troubling about it.

This. It's all to do with where this is taking place. Take out the seedy looking arena, drunk adults shouting and half naked ring girls And the fact the exhibition is on the bottom on a proper MMA card.

If the article had looked at it that way it would have been fair. But the media would rather try and blow it out of proportion.

I've been hearing about this all day and i actually managed to sway the minds of a few people i work with, with one single point.

one of th emain complaints is its kids fighting IN A CAGE.

oh the humanity.

but as i pointed out, these kids are obviously into some kinda of MMA or Shoot training.

the cage being the stage, for want of a better term, that you compete on in this sport.

football has a pitch

boxing a ring

wrestling a ring,

sumo, the odd circle on the floor that i cant remember the name of.

all it is is these kids were grapplig in the correct enviroment for the sport they are training in.

like the argument against girls boxing and things like that there will be people who dump on it as soon as they hear it.

but as long as its done in the correct, safe way and the parent are happy with it then its down to the conscience of the promoter, the parents and the people who watch.

as i say about film censorship....if you dont like....dont watch it.

Here's another question I have (it may have already been answered earlier in the thread, in which case fair enough). If it's submission grappling, what sort of holds and locks are allowed and to what extent can the referees control how far the kids can go with these? I ask because I think it's a legitimate concern that things like joint locks and, god forbid, limb breaks might have a much bigger long-term impact on the underdeveloped bones of kids than those of a fully-grown adult. I hope in these cases ending a bout isn't dependent on waiting for kids who might not understand the risks to tap out - and again, I think this whole question of not fully understanding risks is why we have things like legal ages of consent and responsibility in society in the first place.

• Paid Members

Warrior goes on general release on Friday. I saw it yesterday and thought it was great. Given that Tom Hardy is somewhat of a star we might get a few press features on MMA over the weekend. God knows what they will be like.

Daily Mail gonna Daily Mail.

Laws to protect dogs, but not our children?

by JAMES SLACK

Last updated at 2:59 PM on 22nd September 2011

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-...l#ixzz1Yhw6JoZT

That whole article is bullshit. Narrow minded people preaching bullshit to even more narrow minded people

Here's another question I have (it may have already been answered earlier in the thread, in which case fair enough). If it's submission grappling, what sort of holds and locks are allowed and to what extent can the referees control how far the kids can go with these? I ask because I think it's a legitimate concern that things like joint locks and, god forbid, limb breaks might have a much bigger long-term impact on the underdeveloped bones of kids than those of a fully-grown adult. I hope in these cases ending a bout isn't dependent on waiting for kids who might not understand the risks to tap out - and again, I think this whole question of not fully understanding risks is why we have things like legal ages of consent and responsibility in society in the first place.

Its the same with with any sport nevermind Submission Grappling, in soccer for example Gordon Ramsay had a injury which changed his life. PeeWee Football in the states any rough takedown could leave a kid paralized or injured.

I did wrestling training from 18 i had a incident from something thats meant to be fully safe leave me with a head injury which effects my every day now im 26 and the head injury causes me to go dizzy and blackout every day.

Any sport which have kids involved theres always a risk and could cause a life long injury. Again its just the media who dont have that much to complain about at the moment finally have something to bitch about.

But when training in submission grappling the first thing i learnt from most places is about tapping out is not a sign of weakness and the rules of tapping out and your own safety is key, if the trainer doesnt cant get this across to the kid then they wont let him/her compete.

Seriously, who ever got hurt by leaning up against a chain link fence?

I broke my toe when I got scooped for a takedown against the cage :( Deadly I say, Ban It!!!!!

Or not.

The full story has been blown out of proportion. The whole "Cage Fighting" name is bad for the sport as well, doesn't help that most of MMA's harshest critics are ignorant to what the sport is actually about.

Given the age of the kids I'd say there was probably a ban on the more dangerous holds like neck cranks, heel hooks and anything that twists the spine. A decent ref wouldn't allow a child to have an arm broken in a grappling competition, the ref in the picture looked like Neil Hall who is a top notch ref and very knowledgeable of the sport.

• Paid Members
Daily Mail gonna Daily Mail.

Laws to protect dogs, but not our children?

by JAMES SLACK

Last updated at 2:59 PM on 22nd September 2011

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-...l#ixzz1Yhw6JoZT

That whole article is bullshit. Narrow minded people preaching bullshit to even more narrow minded people

If you want then you can post comments on the article. You can also rate the comments that have already been posted on the article.

• Paid Members

im sitting on the fence...

whilst i have absolutely no problem with what actually takes place in terms of what the boys are doing, you've got to admit that putting 8 year old's in a cage in front of drunken spectators is asking for trouble.

Kids learning martial arts is a good thing, the problem with the news articles is that they aren't putting across as martial arts, they are calling it cage fighting which is completely wrong, it's ignorant journalism. The stupid thing is, the headlines read 'CAGE FIGHT' whilst reading the article actually reads that it wasn't actually a fight, more a grappling contest.

The problem as others have said, is the cage. I don't think having kids come down the aisle in training tops followed by their team is right either, it sends the wrong message. Reading the piece from Rosi Sexton, she mentions that the thing was meant to be a grappling exhibition, which would have been perfectly fine. But it looks like the kids were treated like they were going into some legit sporting contest. No doubt the kids watch the UFC and kids will want to copy what they see on TV, there's no surprise that the exhibition turned a bit rough. The adults involved were asking for trouble.

I don't really think having kids compete in front a drunken audience sends the right message either, i know it's cliche but to the outside eye it does look like an audience outside a cage kind of baying for blood, and even though that's something many MMA fans will disagree with, 90% of the time, that's exactly what the audience want.

The whole thing is a shit storm MMA does not need, the people involved in this entire thing probably had good intentions in mind, and i have no problem with them having their kids train in MMA/grappling/jiu jitsu or whatever, but when there's a crowd shouting and you got two kids rolling around inside a cage what the hell did they expect?

• Paid Members

Gareth A Davis wrote a blog about this on The Telegraph website; I think someone linked to it a while back.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garetha...-of-themselves/

Anyway, I thought that one of the user comments that was posted about the blog was excellent.

billy914

Today 12:09 PM

Good article as you would expect.

This makes me sad on very many levels. Of course, you can take the attitude "who cares what anyone else thinks" but it does genuinely get to me when a sport I care about very much is contemptuously labelled "cage fighting" all over the media, even greeting thousands of commuters as the front page(why?) of the metro and making it to the BBC and Sky headlines.

The media coverage is indeed disgusting. It's so telling that so many of the outraged, reactionary comments have purported Judo as a valid alternative to this brutal exhibition. the kids were basically doing Judo without a gi! Children compete in wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu and submission wrestling in leisure centres all the time- performing the precise same movements on each other and no one cares. It demonstrates the completely transformative power of the cage, and all the connotations it entails. BBC sport can show clips of Neil Adams armbarring and choking people senseless, lauding his ne-waza, but then "cage fighters" are trying to pull limbs off and kill each other with chokes. Similarly, boxers are noble competitors, but "cage fighters" are mindless thugs trying to beat each other senseless.

But it isn't enough to simply blame our media(which we know to be sensationalist, although it does sadden me that bodies like the BBC care so little for the facts), UK MMA has consistently demonstrated a flagrant disregard for PR, and too often pays this price. The children should never have been in that environment, it is an absolute gift to enemies of the sport and it should have been obvious that it would be misinterpreted. Furthermore, no one involved in UK MMA should be using the term "cage-fighting" in any promotional context.

I agree that there is no real safety threat here, but image does matter and the UK MMA scene needs to realise that.

Archived