Police to probe Kids "Cage Fight" in Preston

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

BBC Breakfast are currently losing their shit over this. Thought I'd post the report and let you guys share your feelings on it..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-14998593

Police are to investigate whether two boys were put at risk by taking part in a fight in a cage in Lancashire.

The two eight-year-old boys were filmed fighting at a Labour club in Preston.

The video, shot at Greenlands Labour Club on 10 September, shows them wrestling with each other on the floor in front of an audience of adults.

Police said on Wednesday night that they would be looking into "whether there were issues surrounding the safety of children".

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: "There is no issue with the club's licence to stage such events.

"We were aware that the mixed martial arts night was taking place but we were not aware that children were taking part."

Club manager Michelle Anderson, 39, previously said that they had worked closely with police, adding that the boys "loved it" and were not in danger.

"The children were not doing cage fighting, they were just grappling, there was no punching, kicking or striking," she said.

"The event was perfectly legal. There was only one fight for kids, which was a demonstration fight, the other fights were for adults."

She added: "It's just people who know nothing about the sport who want to contribute."

The father of one of the boys, Nick Hartley, said his son had not been at risk.

He said: "He loves the sport. It's not one bit dangerous, it's a controlled sport.

"He likes to do it, he's never forced to do it, he wants to do it, so leave him to do it."

He added: "He'll never get hurt, it's a controlled sport he could never get hurt.

"Until he gets a bit older and he starts doing physical contact, kicking and punching, then maybe, but at his age it's wrestling, like a grappling."

A British Medical Association (BMA) spokesman said sports such as boxing and cage-fighting were "sometimes defended on the grounds that children learn to work through their aggression with discipline and control".

But it said many other sports such as athletics, swimming, judo and football "require discipline but do not pose the same threat of brain injury".

The promoter of the event, Marcus Holt, said: "There are no kicks, there are no punches, so there's no need for things like head guards and other wear like that.

"With the children, it's all amateur bouts, it's all demonstration grappling submissions."

Chris Cloke, head of child protection awareness at the NSPCC, said: "We would strongly discourage parents from letting their children take part in this kind of fighting.

"It's quite disturbing that some of those involved in the bouts were as young as eight, an age when they are still developing, physically and mentally.

"The organisers of these activities should think very carefully before allowing children to be involved when they are egged on to inflict violence."

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have no fucking idea what the biggy about this story is.

its obvious by watching the clip i just caught that the kids were grapeling on the ground so tbh i would bet they

have been training so whats the point. if thats what they wanna do let them do it kids scrap all the time on the streets so why not let them do it in a pro envroment

this story is blown out of proportion but the fucking solder from blackburn just gets a little mention

PRIORITY'S those guys are losing there lives so they can go on tv and spout stupid fucking story's

I think the Cage aspect is fine. MMA is a fast growing and respectable sport and it takes place in a cage.

Any striking to the head would be a no-no at that age, obviously, but a grappling demonstration is fine.

It's the CAGE and the VIOLENCE WITH CHILDREN factor that the press will jump all over.

I still think this is very badly judged by the promoter, however. The CONTEXT of this is what causes the problem. Putting kids in front of a paying, drinking audience of grown men, baying for blood, with the bikini wearing round-girls... Its all so seedy.

It's not an environment you would want 8 year olds to attend, let alone take part in. This is the problem.

• Paid Members
I still think this is very badly judged by the promoter, however. The CONTEXT of this is what causes the problem. Putting kids in front of a paying, drinking audience of grown men, baying for blood, with the bikini wearing round-girls... Its all so seedy.

It's not an environment you would want 8 year olds to attend, let alone take part in. This is the problem.

This is what I was going to say. It appears the kids were pretty much just wrestling which isn't a problem, it's something they have in schools in the US from a very young age.

Putting them in this environment with adults shouting like it's a UFC fight is seriously disturbing. A cage is not an environment for young children to be fighting in, whether it's a blood sport or not. I think any uproar is fully deserved.

I'd let my child do karate, judo or wrestling, no problem with it. I wouldn't let my child fight in a cage in front of that sort of audience. It's irresponsible.

i have no fucking idea what the biggy about this story is.

its obvious by watching the clip i just caught that the kids were grapeling on the ground so tbh i would bet they

have been training so whats the point. if thats what they wanna do let them do it kids scrap all the time on the streets so why not let them do it in a pro envroment

this story is blown out of proportion but the fucking solder from blackburn just gets a little mention

PRIORITY'S those guys are losing there lives so they can go on tv and spout stupid fucking story's

What the fuck are you on about?

• Paid Members

The debate is currently raging on BBC Five Live. I have never heard so many ignorant uniformed people in one place. Some woman by the name of Bea Campbell has rolled out the 'Cock fighting' cliche too. Ugh.

The debate is currently raging on BBC Five Live. I have never heard so many ignorant uniformed people in one place. Some woman by the name of Dee Campbell has rolled out the 'Cock fighting' cliche too. Ugh.

As did Amir Khan's coach, is he "Uniformed" as well?

It's Greenland Labour Club in Preston, its not unentirely expected, given the location.

And its not as if it doesnt happen anywhere else in the world does it?

Nor as has been mentioned that Karate, Judo etc have competitions for that age either.

EDIT: Could have sworn blind that Ive seen a documentary on Kids fighting MMA style on one of the ITV channels recently, but probs my memory playing up

• Paid Members
Some woman by the name of Dee Campbell has rolled out the 'Cock fighting' cliche too. Ugh.

Surely that's an accurate comparison? Why would a grown man want to watch 8 years fight in a cage?

There's no need for a cage, it gives off a terrible impression, it puts the kids in an environment that isn't healthy and wrestling doesn't need a cage.

so is the cage or the fact kids where doing wrestling that got everyone up in arms. So i guess there will be protests during the Youth games wrestling tourney or the Judo one or the Karate one. There was a channel 4 documentary about two muay thai boxing kids about 8 and when that come out the same thing happened kicking up a fuss about nothing. A mean has any of these people seen a kids boxing event the people scream there like its Mandaly Bay and its a world title fight and they can punch in the head

Archived