Police to probe Kids "Cage Fight" in Preston

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I can't keep up with the MMA/New York situation. It's proper fucked. It seems every time they try and get it legislated in NY, each time it seems to be going OK and then they fall at the same hurdle (Ways and Means Committee I think it was called).

There's gotta be something more to that because holding a UFC event somewhere like MSG would probably make a lot of money and bring in a lot of tourists to NY. For them to say no to MMA there's gotta be another motive behind that. They've had Boxing there forever so it's a bit hard to play the 'MMA is barbaric' line imo.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, Frank Trigg believes its as simple as because Fertittas don't have union members working for them in Las Vegas, they choose to opt out. I can't remember the whole thing I'll have to find it, but thats it in a nutshell.

• Paid Members
At the risk of sounding all Daily Mail, kids are overly-protected nowadays and I don't think it's good for them in the long term.

I fully agree with you. I just don't agree with this.

Though I agree with you, it doesn't stop me overly-protecting my kid. Seem to be so many things i fear lying round the next corner that didn't exist, or didn't worry, when I were a lad. [/grandpa]

I can't keep up with the MMA/New York situation. It's proper fucked. It seems every time they try and get it legislated in NY, each time it seems to be going OK and then they fall at the same hurdle (Ways and Means Committee I think it was called).

There's gotta be something more to that because holding a UFC event somewhere like MSG would probably make a lot of money and bring in a lot of tourists to NY. For them to say no to MMA there's gotta be another motive behind that. They've had Boxing there forever so it's a bit hard to play the 'MMA is barbaric' line imo.

I reckon they have a good shot next year, UFC will then be on network TV and New York would look stupid to not legalise something being shown to such a huge audience.

• Paid Members

On the subject of New York I think the Fox deal is going to help push it through. Theres far too much money to be made now that Fox are throwing so much weight behind it.

On the original subject, I was pretty gutted today seeing the article and the ignorant reaction from work colleagues and the like. Until idiots stop referring to the sport as 'cage fighting' and the stigma that comes with it, were not gonna get very far.

• Moderators
Surely the idea that you need a cage is bollocks.

Nope.

The cage is vital for the mechanics of the bouts. Grappling takes place up against the fences at times, and that is a part of the sport. Even if they were only sparring with non contact rules as far as striking, they do need to get used to competing in the correct environment for their sport.

Seemed to do alright without the cage in Pride. And who doesn't get bored shitless with 'the mechanics' of two guys in the clinch leaning up against the cage doing fuck all?

Also, the cage probably makes it a bit shitter to watch live as I expect it's harder to see what's going on, no?

• Paid Members

Nope.

The cage is vital for the mechanics of the bouts. Grappling takes place up against the fences at times, and that is a part of the sport. Even if they were only sparring with non contact rules as far as striking, they do need to get used to competing in the correct environment for their sport.

Seemed to do alright without the cage in Pride. And who doesn't get bored shitless with 'the mechanics' of two guys in the clinch leaning up against the cage doing fuck all?

Also, the cage probably makes it a bit shitter to watch live as I expect it's harder to see what's going on, no?

Bit ignorant there Chest.

As far as the obstructed view, the cage is easy to see through at a live event.

• Paid Members

Nope.

The best thing about the Pride ring was the army of tiny officials that pushed people back in if they started to fall out. The ring adds a totally different strategy to fights, People who use the cage effectively (Couture) have less than stellar records in ring based fights

Living in Preston Ive had to listen to everyone in work talking about this. Its amazing how suddenly everyone has an opinion on how barbaric it all is despite never actually seeing any of it. Key points that I've heard today include 'They let Kids punch each other in the face' , 'Kids grappling can be watched by Paedos' and 'Human Cockfighting'.

Think this is a fine age to be having fights with the strict grappling only rules, The venue however was not an appropriate place to have it. I've attended tournements with younger children than that attending and no one had any problem with it and that included head kicks (with guards on but still far more dangerous)

• Paid Members
On the subject of New York I think the Fox deal is going to help push it through. Theres far too much money to be made now that Fox are throwing so much weight behind it.

On the original subject, I was pretty gutted today seeing the article and the ignorant reaction from work colleagues and the like. Until idiots stop referring to the sport as 'cage fighting' and the stigma that comes with it, were not gonna get very far.

Reminds me of Alex Reid on Shooting Stars (I think it was that - I only heard a report of this line).

"I'm not a cage fighter. I'm an Mixed Martial Artist."

"Oh. Do you have fights?"

"Yes."

"Are they in cages?"

"....yes"

"You're a cage fighter."

• Moderators

Bit ignorant there Chest.

As far as the obstructed view, the cage is easy to see through at a live event.

I'll admit I'm not the most die-hard fan, but I've always preferred the dynamic of a fight in a ring to that of one in a cage.. I can't see that the cage has ever added anything to my experience as a spectator, nor to that of the quality of the fight. Happy to be disproved on the second point though, even if it is some purely annecdotal evidence for me to consider. Like I said, this is just from what I have observed and I only really have Pride and UFC/Strikeforce to compare.

Fair enough on the second point - I've not been to a live event, which is why I phrased that as a question.

Oh shit - back on the first point I've just thought of one example to slightly disprove my position - Anthony Pettis' ninja skillz! Still.. other more commonplace examples would be welcome.

Well, Frank Trigg believes its as simple as because Fertittas don't have union members working for them in Las Vegas, they choose to opt out. I can't remember the whole thing I'll have to find it, but thats it in a nutshell.

Yeah that's correct. The Fertittas let their staff decide themselves (via a voting system) each year as to whether they themselves want to be part of a union, which would not only cost the Fertittas a lot of money but would also take a percentage of the staffs individual wages.

Yet this family in New York who basically run the political scene there (who would benefit finacially themselves if the Fertittas joined a union) just nix every proposition RE: MMA just because the Fertittas are (rightly) not screwing their employees.

• Paid Members

Reminds me of Alex Reid on Shooting Stars (I think it was that - I only heard a report of this line).

"I'm not a cage fighter. I'm an Mixed Martial Artist."

"Oh. Do you have fights?"

"Yes."

"Are they in cages?"

"....yes"

"You're a cage fighter."

Yes they are 'cage fighters' but with that term comes this mental image.

Gordeau%20Vs.%20Teila.jpg

Which is what people tend to relate the term too. And the above is not what is currently being served today.

• Paid Members
Oh shit - back on the first point I've just thought of one example to slightly disprove my position - Anthony Pettis' ninja skillz! Still.. other more commonplace examples would be welcome.

Henderson-vs-Pettis-GIF-WEC-53.gif

jb5i5f.gif

and you can't do shit like this in a ring

DissectMMA_Erick_Silva_Flip.gif

Mark Coleman tried with embarrassing results

dm4dj6.jpg

Archived