Police to probe Kids "Cage Fight" in Preston

bAzTNM#1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's Greenfield Labour Club in Preston, its not unentirely expected.

And its not as if it doesnt happen anywhere else in the world does it?

Doesn't make it right though, plus they are wearing protective headgear.

Never said anything about it being right, just that it's not the only place that it happens and that its not a 'new' thing either

There is a slew of

re kids Cage fighting not all have head gear etc

so is the cage or the fact kids where doing wrestling that got everyone up in arms. So i guess there will be protests during the Youth games wrestling tourney or the Judo one or the Karate one. There was a channel 4 documentary about two muay thai boxing kids about 8 and when that come out the same thing happened kicking up a fuss about nothing. A mean has any of these people seen a kids boxing event the people scream there like its Mandaly Bay and its a world title fight and they can punch in the head

It's the cage 100%, if this was happening on a mat at a club somewhere there would be no story.

There was a channel 4 documentary about two muay thai boxing kids about 8 and when that come out the same thing happened kicking up a fuss about nothing.

Is that the one where the kids were crying because they didn't want to be there?

Rick is bang on, what kind of parent would subject their children to that?

• Paid Members

I believe the only issue here is the fact that the kids were fighting in the cage (& the enviroment where the bout took place). If they had just been at a local wrestling/Ju Jitsu club competing on mats would all of this furore have kicked off? The venue was unfotunate, but then there are no venues for young people to compete currently.

Below is a response that Rosi Sexton posted online this morning about the whole issue. On the Amir Khan's trainer wasn't he talking about unlicensed boxing?

You may have noticed that

Its about time people accepted that the cage is a safer environment, and not a weapon in itself.

Seriously, who ever got hurt by leaning up against a chain link fence? Compare that to falling between the ropes or under the ropes of a ring. The cage is there to enable proper grappling to take place without constant re stars. People need to dry their eyes and understand it

There was a channel 4 documentary about two muay thai boxing kids about 8 and when that come out the same thing happened kicking up a fuss about nothing.

Is that the one where the kids were crying because they didn't want to be there?

i thought he was crying cos he lost or thats how i remember it.

• Paid Members

Just looking at the BBC 'Have Your Say' column on this story & was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of posts calling out 'sensationalism' & how this is no different to what's happening at hundreds of judo clubs across the country every week. The number of people calling for it to be referred to as MMA as opposed to 'Cage Fighting' is also encouraging, hope this is a sign of increasing mainstream acceptance for the sport?

• Paid Members
Its about time people accepted that the cage is a safer environment, and not a weapon in itself.

Seriously, who ever got hurt by leaning up against a chain link fence? Compare that to falling between the ropes or under the ropes of a ring. The cage is there to enable proper grappling to take place without constant re stars. People need to dry their eyes and understand it's a safe and regulated sport, with the cage being a safe platform in which to compete. This country is still way behind the rest of the world with its attitude towards MMA.

Are people just associating the cage with what they've seen in wrestling cage matches where peoples faces are raked against the cage etc. ? Because I dont understand where the fact that its barbaric that a cage is used.

i thought he was crying cos he lost or thats how i remember it.

No, it was between rounds, if it was the same doc, of course!

On the Amir Khan's trainer wasn't he talking about unlicensed boxing?

No, he was talking about children fighting in a cage for the entertainment of adults.

• Paid Members

I've been to amateur boxing events, in nightclubs where beer is served & they've had bouts with kids aged about 6 clobbering each other whilst their dads shout & scream. I can't see how this is any different? Apart from the no striking obviously.

It's the cage 100%, if this was happening on a mat at a club somewhere there would be no story.

Hear, hear. As I said to a friend on Facebook (once I fought my way though the new unorganised shambles), if they replaced the cage with a stack of lovely pillows the whole thing would probably be called poetic or artistic in the news. The cage is not a necessity.

I've been to amateur boxing events, in nightclubs where beer is served & they've had bouts with kids aged about 6 clobbering each other whilst their dads shout & scream. I can't see how this is any different? Apart from the no striking obviously.

As have I, I found it deeply uncomfortable and questioned why they let such young children engage in such activity. The parents should be ashamed. I wasn't allowed to have my first Boxing match until I was 14, that was the club rule.

Archived