Police to probe Kids "Cage Fight" in Preston

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
I've been to amateur boxing events, in nightclubs where beer is served & they've had bouts with kids aged about 6 clobbering each other whilst their dads shout & scream. I can't see how this is any different? Apart from the no striking obviously.

As have I, I found it deeply uncomfortable and questioned why they let such young children engage in such activity. The parents should be ashamed. I wasn't allowed to have my first Boxing match until I was 14, that was the club rule.

Depends. I agree with you that if it's the parents forcing and goading their child into the sport then yes it's deploarable. But if the child shows an active interest then it should be encouraged via controlled circumstances i.e. joining a properly set up club etc. Then the competition should be allowed. Because we dont allow children who show talent for their chosen sport, to partake thus suffocating their chances of developing into future world champions potentialy. No one seems to complain about parents screaming shouting swearing at very young children on a football pitch.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been to amateur boxing events, in nightclubs where beer is served & they've had bouts with kids aged about 6 clobbering each other whilst their dads shout & scream. I can't see how this is any different? Apart from the no striking obviously.

These people should see the parents at kids football matches. It's not much different. Less beer maybe.

I saw this story when I went to the paper shop this morning and thought "if these kids had been filmed at a Karate Tournament or a Amateur Boxing dinner night no one would care"

As have I, I found it deeply uncomfortable and questioned why they let such young children engage in such activity. The parents should be ashamed. I wasn't allowed to have my first Boxing match until I was 14, that was the club rule.

Depends. I agree with you that if it's the parents forcing and goading their child into the sport then yes it's deploarable. But if the child shows an active interest then it should be encouraged via controlled circumstances i.e. joining a properly set up club etc.

Totally, I think that 8 year olds interested in contact sports should be limited to training.

Then the competition should be allowed.

I disagree, but there you go.

Because we dont allow children who show talent for their chosen sport, to partake thus suffocating their chances of developing into future world champions potentialy.

That isn't true at all, not even close.

No one seems to complain about parents screaming shouting swearing at very young children on a football pitch.

Yes they do, every weekend parents are told to calm it down or don't bother turning up again.

• Paid Members

Keith on the Future world champions point, in other countries this is how they become so dominant in most sports and we dont, because they are competing from an early age, thus getting 'big game' experience and also devloping their skills actively. This is where we are generally behind the rest of the world in most competitive sports.

Football is also just as dangerous as some contact sports, all it would take is one very dangerous tackle and that child could be permanently damaged. MMA/Judo/BJJ etc. is so far more controlled, plus no striking is allowed at a young age either.

You lot have failed to mention the fact that the event took place in Preston. A town that's only accomplishment is having one of the largest bus stations in Europe.

Ooh, a bit of tongue in cheek.

Preston is a city as granted by the Queen as part of the Jubilee Celebrations in 2002

1st bit of Motorway in the UK

1st KFC outside of the US

1st 8 til late Spar in the UK

Home of the Temperance Movement in the UK (Joesph Livesey)

1st Football team to go unbeaten in a season and do the league and cup double in the same season

Tallest Church Spire that isnt a Cathedral in the UK

Benjimin Franklin, yes that one, lived in Preston

The bus station is due to be demolished as part of the Tithebarn project, with no replacement as the NWDA has closed and there is no funding for it.

Compared to Blackburn, Burnley and Blackpool, Preston is the epicentre of the known universe, but yeah its still a shit hole :p

Keith on the Future world champions point, in other countries this is how they become so dominant in most sports and we dont, because they are competing from an early age, thus getting 'big game' experience and also devloping their skills actively. This is where we are generally behind the rest of the world in most competitive sports.

Is that why we don't have any world champions then? Is there evidence that backs up your claim at all?

Football is also just as dangerous as some contact sports, all it would take is one very dangerous tackle and that child could be permanently damaged.

You can say the same about any activity though, it doesn't need to be sporting.

MMA/Judo/BJJ etc. is so far more controlled, plus no striking is allowed at a young age either.

That's the difference thought isn't it? Control. As has been pointed out, this "Fight" was controlled. I just don't think that an 8 year old should be taking part in such events.

• Paid Members

On the world champions it wasn't meant to be a sweeping statement across the board, but I think there is a good case for it. Generally our sports men and women who are at the top of their game have been doing it from an early age.

For example Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button both started competing at an early age in karting, which then led to them becoming F1 world champions. Ben Ainslie started Yachting from an early age is now Olympic and World champion. Amir Khan was competing at the age of 11 and then became a world champion.

I saw a documentary about British kids doing thai boxing about a few years ago. As seems to be the case here, the most disturbing thing about it was the behaviour of the adults. The kids who seemed to be doing it purely for their own enjoyment were the exception, and the majority of those featured seemed to have been pushed into it by knucklehead parents treating their kids as vicarious status symbols who functioned as miniature versions of a local dealer's staffy.

As others have stated, I think the cage and the whole culture that's arisen around 'cage fighting' is what's causing people to have objections. Mixed Martial Arts is a great sport that requires a hell of a lot of conditioning, discipline and skill to do well. 'Cage Fighting' is something every chav with a set of dumbells seems to do these days, and apparently requires little more than a boatload of roids, a John Cena haircut, and a job working the doors of a small town nightclub. IMO you can tell the difference between the two cultures by how it's promoted, and how the fighters/fans choose to refer to it. If they refer to it primarily as 'cage fighting', it's a good indication the fighters and fans are pretty much a roided-up equivalent of football hooligans looking for a dust-up on a weekend.

I've done tae kwan do training with boys as young as 8, and see nothing wrong with it. This grappling is even less dangerous than that, as it seems to involve no striking. Much ado about nothing I reckon.

Archived