UFC 135: 'Jones vs Rampage' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Jones vs Rampage  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I didn't buy into any of Rampage's pre-fight hype:

- His previous fights (particularly the Rashad stuff) have shown that he's only saying what he's saying to hype the fight. He was always going to be hugging and praising Jones after the fight no matter how it went down, just like he always does. I'm no psychologist but when his eyes were darting around and looking away from the interviewers face on the countdown show when saying things like "I have no respect at all for Jon Jones", I believed he did not really believe what he was saying. There are trash-talking fighters like Bisping who you just know mean every word when slagging off opponents, but after all these years I can't believe Rampage means it.

- The countdown show hyped this MusclePharm gym as making Rampage better than ever. All I saw was him becoming fitter and in better shape than ever before, but there were no new trainers or training partners. Nothing showed that his techniques would be any different than they have been for the last 3 years since he knocked Wanderlei out where he has gone to 4 really boring decision finishes.

- During the show itself last night, all the build-up videos showing Rampage showed nothing of these last 3 years (except a couple of seconds of brawling with Jardine & Hamill) but kept showing how he USED TO BE ABLE to knock out people when he was in his prime. Rogan referred to him having knockout power in his hands just made me think that it would be like a football commentator saying Ryan Giggs has electric pace. He did a few years ago, but he is much older now. During the entrances Rogan even used a Rocky vs Ivan Drago metaphor supposedly saying how Rampage in the Drago role could win the fight. "Jackson has been in a state of the art facility testing every part of his body, whereas Jones is still running up mountains". I guess Joe missed the end of the film where Rocky defeated Drago.

- Finally, I liked the contrast between rounds where the camera would cut from Greg Jackson saying: "Calm down ... breathe ... breathe ... Climbing the waterfall ... good." cutting to some hysterical scouser yelling at Rampage: "YOU'VE GOT TO GET IN RANGE! YOU'VE GOT TO GET IN RANGE!"

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Can anyone fill me in on the Jones/Evans history? Seemed very awkward at the end there, with Jones saying Evans has ruined his special night twice or something?

I think he's referring to both the title win when rashad got in the cage with him to hype the fight and against Page tonight. Jones wants to celebrate and rashad is all up ins.

Can anyone fill me in on the Jones/Evans history? Seemed very awkward at the end there, with Jones saying Evans has ruined his special night twice or something?

I think he's referring to both the title win when rashad got in the cage with him to hype the fight and against Page tonight. Jones wants to celebrate and rashad is all up ins.

I'm sure that Jones knows that the UFC are responsible for Evans ruining his night. It's not as if Rashad decided to come into the cage on his own.

Was an ok show, the opener was class Diaz looked really impressive. The Broughton fight was fucking garbage though I ended up reading stuff on here while it was going on. I loved the Hunt fight and I went crazy when he went for an armbar I coudnt believe it haha a used to love watching Hunt in Pride so was glad to see him win.

Was sick Koscheck won, Hughes was looking decent at first I thought, he should of went for a takedown or two though Koscheck has heavy hands and was bound to catch him on the feet.

Main event was canny shite, I'd built me sell up hoping Rampage would win but he was the same as ever just strolling forward hoping to hit bombs like he always has. Was a shame like Rampage used to be the boy in Pride and was canny when he 1st moved over to UFC but he has never evolved so may as well just stick him in big name fights he's never gonna be good enough for a title run again.

I was glad to hear that Hughes isn't walking away just yet. The fight with Koscheck isn't the one he wanted, and I don't think he'd have taken it had it been offered to him originally.

I'd like to see him go up against Dennis Hallman. It gives him a chance to get revenge for the two losses, and would be a fitting fight for him to walk away after. Hallman is going through something of a resurgence as well, winning two of his last three, including a win over Karo Parisyan.

I can't think of anyone else under contract to the UFC that would offer the kind of fight that Hughes could win, and that would prove interesting to the fans.

• Paid Members

Rogan made reference to how different Rampage was when he trained under Colin Oyama. Does anyone know when they actually split? i know Rampage was with Oyama during the Pride days, but at what point of his UFC career did he swap over to the Wolflair guys?

• Paid Members
I was glad to hear that Hughes isn't walking away just yet. The fight with Koscheck isn't the one he wanted, and I don't think he'd have taken it had it been offered to him originally.

I'd like to see him go up against Dennis Hallman. It gives him a chance to get revenge for the two losses, and would be a fitting fight for him to walk away after. Hallman is going through something of a resurgence as well, winning two of his last three, including a win over Karo Parisyan.

I can't think of anyone else under contract to the UFC that would offer the kind of fight that Hughes could win, and that would prove interesting to the fans.

i cant see it happening, for the simple reason that if Hughes loses, he's going to be 0-3 against Hallman. A win would be nice, but a loss would like rubbing salt in the wound.

i cant see it happening, for the simple reason that if Hughes loses, he's going to be 0-3 against Hallman. A win would be nice, but a loss would like rubbing salt in the wound.

There's no other fight that makes sense for Hughes though, is there?

Rogan made reference to how different Rampage was when he trained under Colin Oyama. Does anyone know when they actually split? i know Rampage was with Oyama during the Pride days, but at what point of his UFC career did he swap over to the Wolflair guys?

I think it was after the whole hit and run/Rampage runs from police deal.

Nate Diaz looks a contender at lightweight doesn't he?

I'm not buying into the hype yet, this happens every 3 or so fights for Nate. He puts in a good performance and the likes of Rogan say he is a serious contender only to then choke.

He was good last night but the reach played a massive factor, he'll still always choke against a high level wrestler.

• Paid Members

I fancy Diaz against probably 80% of the lightweights. Its the wrestlers in the division whoch will cause him problems. Diaz is one of the most effective jiu jitsu fighters in the UFC, he makes it look so effortless, and his standuo is just outstanding. On paper you think guys are gonna smash him but it just doesn't happen. Cardio isn't an issue either. Its just that one chink that let's him down.

It took Nick a ton of fights at the top level before he became a top contender...and conicidentally it was the Gomi fight that started that run. Nate might go the same way.

Archived