UFC 135: 'Jones vs Rampage' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Jones vs Rampage  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn both my picks lost.

Diaz was amazing too really impressed great switch from the triangle to armbar.

Well bring on Rashard Evans.

If Rampage hopes to continue in MMA he needs to drop to Middleweight or just go to K1 or just start a fresh with his game.

YOU AINT GETTING YOUR BELT BACKKKKKKKKK......

• Paid Members

don't think ive ever been so demoralised after a UFC.

* Jon Jones was spectacular, the thing is, it didn't excite made, he made it look so easy i just felt cheated. Weird. Honestly though. Rampage had no chance fighting like he did, too slow, just throwing one punch hoping for that one shot. Too one dimensional, too predictable. I don't think ive ever seen someone fight so effectively from distance as Jones though, it's f'n ridiculous. I said in a previous post that i kind of thought it would go like this, that's how i predicted it originally but that fight hype grabbed me...shoulda known better.

I still think Rashad is a much better fight for Bones, he's just a faster, more athletic and better all around fighter than Rampage.

* Hughes/Rampage again made me feel flat :( Hughes to his credit looked great for 4mins and 30 seconds, actually outboxing Koscheck but you just to feel that the longer it stayed standing it was just going to be a matter of time before Koscheck landed something, and that's what happened. Sad to see Hughes lose and unless the UFC offer him some kind of legends type fight i think it may be the last time we see him in there.

* Now, onto the heavyweights, twitter is going crazy about the fact that heavyweight should never fight in Denver again, it seemed pretty clear that the altitude killed the 4 heavyweights who fought, it was not a good advert for the division...however...

I really enjoyed Rothwell/Hunt, that was a bit of an epic, Rothwell looked like he was dying in there. When they let him come out for round 3 and part of the way through that round i was shouting for the fight to be stopped, it seemed to go into that dangerous territory where he was gonna get KO'd badly, but props to Rothwell, that guys got the heart of a lion. Resurgence for Hunt though, he showed decent grappling to go along with his striking! The UFC needs to set up Barry/Hunt though, whatever happens after the Struve fight next week.

Browne/Broughton was an awful fight, absolutely shocking. Browne tried to play an elusive striking game but other than a couple of decent flurries he looked the shits, Broughton's tough and kept trying but both guys were fighting on fumes by the end in a not necessarily taxing bout. Not good.

* Gomi/Diaz: the Diaz boxing game just keeps getting bettre, its so effective and it seems that no one can figure it out. Great performance which probably see Gomi out of the UFC, he's been a major disappointment, just doesn't seem the same guy anymore. Vintage Diaz.

* Ferguson/Riley on the undercard could have warmed up nicely but Riley seemed to suffer a badly broken jaw, shame :( Aaron Riley is a warrior.

* Boetsch/Ring was a poor opener too for Spike. Boetsch kinda warmed into it but outside of a spectacular throw it was workmanlike stuff. Ring looked horrible out there, i aint quite sure what he was trying to do?

* Mizugaki/Escovedo was probably the fight of the night, great little battle of the little guys...i think they may give to Hunt/Rothwell though because despite being absolutely fuck, those two battled till the end.

Interested to hear Dana's comments on the show...

• Paid Members
If Rampage hopes to continue in MMA he needs to drop to Middleweight or just go to K1 or just start a fresh with his game.

there's no way Rampage will goto middleweight. He needs to realise that a straight boxing approach will only get you so far in MMA. It's kinda annoying now that he doesn't do anything else.

• Paid Members
* Mizugaki/Escovedo was probably the fight of the night, great little battle of the little guys...i think they may give to Hunt/Rothwell though because despite being absolutely fuck, those two battled till the end.

Agreed them were the best 2 fights of the night but the awards are

Fight Of The Night - Jon Jones vs Rampage Jackson

Knockout Of The Night - Josh Koscheck

Submission Of The Night - Nate Diaz

Absolute hairy sweaty bollocks that Jones/Rampage got FOTN over Mizugaki/Escovedo.

• Paid Members

Jones was scary. I think it's pretty much what most of us expected and feared at the same time. That Rampage was just gonna be too slow and one dimensional.

I do think Rashad could be a tough fight for Jones. And I really get the feeling Jones might be rattled by him and Rashad is in his head. The little face off after the fight was awkward as fuck, I loved it. Can't wait for that fight.

I'm guessing if Jones' elbow and feet are ok we'll get Jones vs Rashad headlining UFC 140 in Toronto in Dec.

Sad to see Hughes get put out like that again. He looked to have really worked on his hands but his boxing defence has always been his biggest weakness and Kos had the power advantage. I do think Hughes should probably hang it up. It would be nice to see him go out on a win but they can't just keep throwing him in there to get KO'd until he wins one. If he bowed out now after losing to what is basically a younger version of himself there's no disgrace in that.

If he insists on sticking around for one more then why not do Hughes vs Serra 2. The first one was a highly debated decision and I think there would still be some mileage in the Hughes/Serra rivalry if the rematch was signed.

Hunt vs Rothwell was fun and a bit embarrassing at the same time. Really pleased Hunt won though. Deffo wanna see Hunt vs Barry. Hunt vs Cro Cop or Joey Beltran would be awesome aswell.

Nate Diaz looked outstanding. His boxing looked better than ever and his BJJ was sharp. I thought it would go like that but not in round 1. I expected Diaz to have his way late in the fight and tap a gassed Gomi. He did it to a fresh Gomi with ease. Impressive. I'd fucking love to see Diaz vs Cerrone down the line.

Got to feel a bit sorry for Rashad. The guy is so articulate and comes across as a nice guy but Dana keeps bringing him into the cage for these awkward face-offs which make him unpopular. It's hard to come up with new things to say about Jones, he's now run through 2 of the all time great light heavyweights with relative ease.

I don't like watching Gomi fight anymore :( Just doesn't look interested.

• Paid Members

Jones made Rampage his bitch. During the second, Rampage lost his heart and come the fourth it felt like Rampage wanted to just get out of there. His camp were rubbish, "CLOSE THE DISTANCE", how the fuck is he supposed to do that with 11.5 inch of bad ass reach in front of him?! I knew Rampage would struggle once they flashed their stats up before the fight, 11.5 inch is too much for someone of Rampage's style and Jones ability to execute his reach.

I do think Rashad will have a better outing against Jones, as Rashad has different elements he can work with and adapt to.

The rest was so so. Nothing was really that bad, but is was more a night of individual performances than great fights.

Jones/Rampage got fight of the night? that's almost as bad as St.Pierre/Koscheck nabbing it. It was tense stuff, but a such a one sided fight shouldn't take the prize.

I backed the Jones/Rampage fight for Fight of the night at 5/1 so I'm happy :laugh:

"CLOSE THE DISTANCE" isn't THAT bad a piece of advice. If you ask me, it was the only thing he could do to keep Jones at bay. Whether he was able to do it or not is a different matter. I was more irked by the constant "FIND YOUR RANGE!!" shout from that daft cunt outside the cage. I'd imagine he HAD found it. He just couldn't fucking reach it.

Archived