UFC 135: 'Jones vs Rampage' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Jones vs Rampage  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Interesting quote from Matt Hughes

"Still waiting to hear back from the UFC. I have said 'yes' to facing either Koscheck or (Jon) Fitch at UFC 135. I should know more later."

Didn't know Fitch was in the running for this

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad it's Koscheck instead of Fitch, it's a more competitive fight. I can't pick a winner, I think i'm leaning towards a Kos decision though.

I'm going for Jones via 2nd round T/KO in the main event. I think Evans is the man to beat Jones, if Jones does win this I hope Evans gets his shot next.

• Paid Members

i thought Hughes had little chance of beating Sanchez, and i give him about as much chance at beating Koscheck. I think if Koscheck comes in and pushes the pace he'll be too much for Hughes. If it ends up a stand-up fight i see Koscheck catching him, Hughes doesn't have a great chin and he tends to kinda posture and pose whilst standing, Koscheck will exploit that. I can't see Hughes outwrestling Koscheck at this point in his career either.

I'll take Koscheck by TKO, and Hughes retiring in the cage.

• Paid Members

Yeah I can't see Hughes beating Koscheck. Koscheck's just like a younger version of Hughes but with a dangerous overhand right and Hughes is still shit on the feet.

I can see a TKO or one sided decision loss for Hughes here but I'm rooting for Hughes in this one.

Hughes is like Tito earlier on this year, the crowd will cheer him for nostalgia reasons, as unlikable as Hughes was back in the day he was a great fighter for his time and as time goes on the same fans who love to hate him kinda soften when the villian's like Hughes are on the downfall.

It also helps that Hughes like Ortiz is fighting someone completly unlikable, Tito fought Rashad who gets booed more than anyone bar Lesnar and Bader who casual fans I bet forget exsist he is that bland in personality and not that talented a fighter. Koscheck is one of the most hated MMA fighters out there, I expect Hughes to have 90 percent of the fans cheering loudly for him in a few weeks.

Style wise, its a lot like Bader vs Ortiz it looks like a no-win for Hughes, but Ortiz and recently Nog proved these old dogs can suprise you in the twilight of there career. That said I got Kos by TKO early

• Paid Members

i'll pipe in a little on Jones/Rampage.

On paper it's easy to think Jones will just walk through Rampage as he has everyone else, i just feel Rampage needs to make it tough in there for Jones, don't stand on the outside and let Jones get off. Rampage needs to get his hands on Jones and make this a dirty, street brawl type of thing. Rampage hasn't fought like that in years, he's become primarily a boxer but if he adopts that style against Jones i think he'll get smashed. Rampage needs to brawl, if he does that i fancy his chances cause i don't think Jones is going to be able to take Rampage power.

Smart money says Jones, but i think i might be swinging towards Rampage for the upset.

• Paid Members

hope you're right. Could be your Fedor/Werdum moment of 2011 if you're right again this time :)

I'm rooting for Rampage in this one, although I like Jones too. Then again I really wanna see Jones vs Rashad. We can't lose either way. I'll be pulling for Page come fight night.

• Paid Members

Interesting Koscheck quote. He wanted to fight Wanderlei Silva, Chris Leben or Rich Franklin at 185 before he found out Hughes needed an opponent

"You probably saw that I was considering going to middleweight, and the reason I wanted to fight at middleweight was everyone at 170-pounds who meant anything was already locked up with a fight. To be honest, and mentioning no names, the people the UFC wanted me to fight just didn't interest me at all. The names they offered me were just 'paydays' -- fights to get on a card and have a fight, take a shower get a payday and go home and I don't want to fight those guys."

"After the GSP fight, I needed to come back and remind everyone what I am all about and if I couldn't do that at 170 pounds I figured maybe as a one-off just to have a major fight to come back with, I'd take a fight at 185-pounds. Realistically, I asked to fight Wanderlei Silva, Chris Leben and even Rich Franklin at 185. But then last week I got word Matt Hughes, who has avoided me for years, needed an opponent for UFC 135 in Denver on Sept. 24. I've called out Hughes for so long but he's always avoided me. When he was on top and one of the top in the division, he used his position to avoid fighting me and all the AKA guys. But when Diego Sanchez pulled out hurt with three weeks to go, I knew the UFC would have no choice but to try to talk Hughes into fighting me. Like I knew he would, he tried to suggest fighting Jon Fitch instead, knowing full well Fitch is still recovering from shoulder surgery. I tweeted that I'd accepted the fight and was ready, just to put pressure on Hughes to quit bitching and take the fight. I wanted to make it so that if he did turn the fight down, all the fans would know that he bitched out. He had nowhere else to go and I've finally got my fight with Matt Hughes."

• Paid Members

When BJ Penn was ruling the world at 155, Kos actually talked about trying to drop down to fight him. Dunno how serious he was but I remember him on about it.

here's the quote I was thinking about, it's from 2008

"You never know. If people would want to see me fight B.J. Penn at 155 for the title, because there is really nobody there for him to fight, I'd do it.

I know B.J. very well, but business is business. We're friends, but at the end of the day, it's about making money together. If the fans would want to see it, I'd suck it up and I'd live that life to where I'd do whatever I have to do to make 155.

What are you in this business for, to make money and to win a title. Usually, they go hand in hand. A fight with B.J. would be like a DREAM for me."

Archived