UFC 135: 'Jones vs Rampage' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Jones vs Rampage  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting staredown... the first time I can recall Jones meeting an opponent's eyes.

Should be a great card, as I said in the general topic, very casual fan-friendly. You have the big names of Jones, Rampage, Koscheck and Hughes to draw people in, and then there's a bunch of wild brawlers like Diaz, Gomi, Browne and Hunt to make a card that I think will be filled with finishes. Exciting times.

• Paid Members

i think he's got a shot. Thing is, i think i've completely bought into the hype for this, at first i probably saw Jones a rightful 7/1 on favourite, but my thoughts on it have definitly changed due to the hype.

It's weird cause i'll probably be surprised now when Jones goes in there and just ruins Rampage, yet that's how i thought it would go when it was announced. I love fight hype!

I'll be pulling for Rampage though.

I think a late KO for Rampage a huge possibility in this fight. I think, stating the obvious most likely, that the longer this fight goes, the better chance that Rampage has of finishing it off, and I'm willing to bet that Rampage is going to fight like this is the case. I still think it's a Jones KO early, but I've always thought that you can't write off someone like Rampage because he's too good and has bags of experience and will surely have a game plan to stick to.

• Paid Members

i think if Rampage takes a straight boxing approach he's gonna get smashed. Rampage style to too compact and slow to trouble Jones like that. Jones will fight long and dance about. Rampage needs to make a brawl, get in close and swing the bombs. He's gotta ruffle Jones, get him out his comfort zone...problem is, nobody's been able to do that yet.

The getting in close is the key part for me. You keep Jones close, you limit what he can do. If we know that, Rampage knows that, his camp knows that, and he'll look to do that. We seen that Jones looked tired before the Shogun fight ended ( aye, I know, he was still lethal ) and that's the other factor for me. I don't think the same will happen to Rampage and he'll really come into his own as the fight wears on. First two rounds are key. Focus on defending in those and then start making moves in the third. I can't see it going beyond the second round though.

I'm still of the opinion that if Jones had fought the Shogun that Griffin fought in Brazil we wouldn't be talking about the guy as if he's some sort of superior destroyer of mere mortals. Not that I don't think he would have beaten Shogun, but I don't think he'd have beaten him as easily.

I can see Rampage catching Jones early and winning via a flurry of punches on the ground.

• Paid Members

Jones is leading the poll 23-6 over Rampage at the minute.

I can't fucking wait for tonight. Hope Rampage can pull off the upset.

weigh ins are done

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Jon Jones (204.5) vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (204)

Matt Hughes (170) vs. Josh Koscheck (170.5)

Mark Hunt (261) vs. Ben Rothwell (263)

Rob Broughton (261) vs. Travis Browne (255)

Nate Diaz (156) vs. Takanori Gomi (155)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Aaron Riley (155) vs. Tony Ferguson (155)

Tim Boetsch (186) vs. Nick Ring (185)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Junior Assuncao (145) vs. Eddie Yagin (145)

Cole Escovedo (135) vs. Takeya Mizugaki (135)

Ricardo Romero (205) vs. James Te Huna (205)

jon-jones-quinton-jackson.JPG

matt-hughes-josh-koscheck.JPG

ben-rothwell-mark-hunt.JPG

travis-browne-rob-broughton.JPG

nate-diaz-takanori-gomi.JPG

• Moderators

The last week's worth of hype has me pulling for Rampage about as hard as I've ever wanted someone to win. Jones is just so obnoxious. The UFC seemed so excited when he won, as though suddenly they had the perfect poster-boy to do all the magazine covers and talkshows, but he's an absolute bell-end, and I'm aching to see him knocked the fuck out.

• Paid Members

Rampage looked in seriously good shape to me at the weigh ins. I don't remember him coming in at 204 in any recent fights either, he's obviously taken this very serious. Gives me a bit more hope but not really something to read too much into.

Hoping Mark Hunt can keep his job aswell. Even though he won his last fight he was on a 6 fight losing streak before that and it would be hard to justify keeping him on with a loss here. A loss tonight would have his record slump to 6-8. Most of his losses were to top opposition but still, it's a losing record and not many in the UFC stick around.

Few predictions

Jones vs Rampage

Going with Jones by stoppage by ground and pound. I'm pulling for a Rampage KO upset but can't see it happening. Jones has taken down better wrestlers and dominated them and on the feet Rampage usually only uses his hands and with the reach advantage that could be tricky.

Jones KO/TKO, round 3

Hughes vs Koscheck

Got a feeling this will be Hughes' last fight in the UFC. Hughes probably won't be able to take Kos down whenever he wants and Kos has the advantage on the feet. Kos isn't that good striking himself but Hughes never looks comfortable standing and Kos has that dangerous right hand. Can see him clipping Hughes and finishing him :(

Koscheck KO/TKO, round 2

Browne vs Broughton

I can see this being quick either way. Browne's looked very good so far and he's a big hitter but Broughton's no walkover. I don't know with this but I'm going with Broughton to catch him purely for the underdog bonus points on MMAPlayground so I'll stick with that.

Broughton KO/TKO, round 1

Diaz vs Gomi

This should be good. Hopefully be a bit like Gomi vs Nick Diaz. Can see Gomi having problems with Nate's reach and I think if Diaz can make the fight longer and avoid Gomi's power early when he's most dangerous then he'll win. I think Gomi will gas under Nate's pressure and Diaz will catch him in a choke towards the end of the fight. Love to see Gomi get a big KO though.

Diaz Sub, round 3

Hunt vs Rothwell

Sadly I think Hunt will lose this one and probably get his walking papers. I don't think Rothwell will stand with him and he has a big advantage on the ground. I'll go with Big Ben by submission.

Rothwell Sub, round 2

Spike prelims I'll have Aaron Riley to win a decision over Tony Ferguson. Think Riley's a tough test for Ferguson, he's tough and good in most areas and has a massive experience edge. I fancy him to upset Ferguson, not even really sure it would be an upset.

And I'll go with Boetsch to TKO Nick Ring in round 3.

Archived