Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

Season over for the Sox. Outclassed by the Astros yet again.

Hopefully, the end of John Farrel, who has been a font of ineptitude for most of the season. Him winning a World Series can only be attributed to blind luck or divine intervention. It's like when Avram Grant took Chelsea to within a penalty of the Champions League.

Lot of players who have not performed this year. Bogaerts, Young, Holt, JBJ (despite his fielding) and Ramirez would all be potential trades. We need some actual power hitters, so that all of the pressure isn't constantly on our crop of young and talented bats. It's been dull as fuck watching us go 2 or so runs down and knowing there is absolutely no potential to win from that position. Not particularly fun baseball and not likely to result in bucket loads of post season wins either.

• Paid Members

It's been 8 days and Mattheny and Moezialek are still working for the Cards. "Rebuilding" season it is then.

I thought handsome Hanley was one of the Red Sox best. Benatendi (sp) was great for a rookie. The game tonight against Houston was brilliant, really tense. Thought my boy Chris Sale was going to lead them to the win like Price did last night until he gave up that homer. They said on commentary how the longest a Red Sox starting pitcher went in the series was the third inning, madness!

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought handsome Hanley was one of the Red Sox best. Benatendi (sp) was great for a rookie. The game tonight against Houston was brilliant, really tense. Thought my boy Chris Sale was going to lead them to the win like Price did last night until he gave up that homer. They said on commentary how the longest a Red Sox starting pitcher went in the series was the third inning, madness!

Hanley was our best player in the series, but he also failed miserably over the course of the season as being an effective DH and getting us the homers we desperately needed. I'd be willing to keep him more if we still trade for someone like Stanton who hits big. You're unlikely to ever get further than we have done this year if you are last in all of baseball for home runs. We also didn't hit a grand slam all season! 

Benny is a wonderful player and the young core of him, Mookie and Devers will set us right in the long term, but I don't want all of the pressure on them at that age.

Agreed though, wonderful game despite the disappointment. Sale was magnificent out of the pen, but looked gassed, which made the decision for him to pitch the start of the 8th so frustrating. I was certain it would have been Reed. Next season, with a vaguely fit rotation including Price, Sale plays less games and doesn't look kippered by post season hopefully.

Edited by Gus Mears

3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Hanley was our best player in the series, but he also failed miserably over the course of the season as being an effective DH and getting us the homers we desperately needed. I'd be willing to keep him more if we still trade for someone like Stanton who hits big. You're unlikely to ever get further than we have done this year if you are last in all of baseball for home runs. We also didn't hit a grand slam all season! 

Yeah, hitting the lowest number of HRs in MLB isn't going to win you the World Series.  Wasn't that the first non grand slam season since the 50s?

I'm sure we'll all be Indians fans in the last game against the scum!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yankees in the World Series. An unbelievably depressing penultimate act to the season. I think they'll win it too.

YOU SEE THAT DOMBROWSKI? YOU GOON? WINNING THE DIVISION DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU GET WILD CARD.

Edited by Gus Mears

If the Cubs manage to get past the Dodgers then they could repeat. I don't know if the current Yankees team is as strong as the one of old, there's no Jeter or A-Rod and Aaron Judge has been hit and miss since the All Star game. If he comes back to form then even then I wouldn't say its a lock. I think if its LA vs NY it will be a very competitive series. Im not a fan of sweeps so a game 7 thriller is what its all about.

World Series starts tomorrow. CNN have a guide to it here http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/24/us/world-series-time-location-dodgers-astros-mlb-trnd/index.html It will be broadcast live in the U.K. On BT Sports/ESPN. I'd add extra time if you're recording it in case it goes into extra innings or you can catch a daytime repeat so you don't miss anything. 

That Game 5 was something else wasn't it, I was so Happy the clocks went back the night before, 5.40 am it finished, I was on holiday from work as was my wife and my daughter had an inset day so luckily didn't need to be up early Monday morning

Last nights wasn't quite as dramatic but just a gripping 

Will be staying up tonight even though I go back to work tomorrow, Its Game 7 can't have it spoiled (even though I'm sure no one at work would)

The Series deserved to go the distance, I'm leaning towards the Dodgers winning but as a neutral I just hope its a good game that is close (would rather LA If I was forced to pick though as I love the history of the Dodgers and especially the period before they moved to LA, NY baseball ruled for those 12-13 years from mid 40's-late 50's)

Sad that its the last game of baseball for the next 4-5 months but a GAME 7 in the World Series is quite a way to go out 

• Paid Members

Genuinely happy for Houston to have won. Switching leagues has done wonders 3 years in for them.

Edited by seph

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

As I have fallen out of love with football, my interest in MLB has increased.  Just back from Boston where I got to tour Fenway Park again, it really is one of the most gorgeous sports grounds you'll ever see, would heartily recommend booking the tour if you're ever in New England. 

Season starts in a few days and AL East is probably the most interesting division in the American League. Yankees are absolutely stacked this year after acquiring Stanton and I can understand why they are favourites, but I still think their rotation is more than a bit light. Tanaka is habitually useless outside of the post-season and Sabathia is ancient. An injury to Severino and things could go tits up. 

Sox have quietly had a pretty good off-season. Spring training means jack shit, but we have looked decent nevertheless and have the highest batting average out of it. So much is contingent on young players improving from last year (Betts, Bogaerts and Benintendi) or older guys not being shite/injured this year (Hanley, Pedroia), but the nucleus of a very good team is there and hopefully Martinez does the business. If all of them play to 90% of their ability, a rotation of Sale, Price, Porcello, Pomeranz and Erod/Wright is a truly fearsome prospect, the pen isn't Yankees quality, but serviceable and I think we would have to play poorly to not at least get a wild card spot.

MLB TV purchased and I am looking forward to things starting off against the Rays this week.