What was your first ever wrestling video ?

wwffan2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
british%20bulldogs%201.JPG

I think I wore it out. I always preferred getting the Coliseum "US Rampage" and "Hottest Matches" style compilations to PPV's to be honest.

Same here.

I used to copy my friends' Sky recordings of PPV's from before I had Sky, and copy them. Thought at the time I was Anglesey's tape equivalent of Pablo Escobar aged 9.

Mine was In Your House 19 : D-Generation X and Wrestlemania 14

In Your House was really fun at the time but has suffered over time while Wrestlemania 14 started with a 30-45 minute preshow which was really boring but difficult to skip due to a shit video player

• Paid Members

I got SummerSlam 89 first. Probably around 91ish. Fucking loved everything about it and still do. The crowd was electric for the main event and Warrior/Rude and there was some really good stuff early on (Harts/Brainbusters and the 6 man tag with the Rockers would probably hold up well today).

I watched that tape that much I could pretty much recite the commentary by Schiavone & Jesse the Body. Great memories.

Got my first WCW video not long after that, Starrcade 90 with the tag tournament. Cracking tape.

1998.jpg

This. I got it just before Break Down In Your House in September 98'. Immediately became a huge Austin fan even though from what I can remember it wasn't a great event.

if my memory serves me correct this was the first WWF event that featured the use of barbwire.

515G7NA576L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Ringmasters-The Lords Of The Ring was one of the first comercially released videos put out in 1985 by Vestron video and PWI magazine, it was hosted by then publisher of the PWI magazine Bill Apter and the Dean of pro wrestling the late Gordon Solie.This video highlights the best matches of the original NWA from that era featuring stars like the Road Warrirors, Kamala the Ugandan Giant, Magnum T.A., and a classic bout featuring Ric Flair facing the late Kerry Von Erich for the NWA title <which Kerry won>. Also included on this tape was a tribute of one of wrestlings best know familes at the time the Von Erichs, since most of the Von Erich clan had died under unspecified reasons, there was a tribute for them at the Texas Stadium.If you like "old school" wrestling or are just curious as to what the WCW was orginally like before their selling to Ted Turner, then this video is for you!!!

Not quite right. Lords of the ring - superstars and superbouts was the first one released ever (and was thefirst video i bought too) The Ringmasters one you are on about is Ringmasters - The great american bash which was the 2nd video PWI and veston(sp) released. that was highlights of the Bash with Flair vs Koloff and the Road Warriors vs "the russians" - quality vids which i'll never let go of

UK Rampage 93. Looking back it was pretty awful

But I remember I used to stop the tape a lot in the opener where Brian Knobbs would kick Fatu in the face as he went for a back body drop. For some reason I found the sound really impressive.

I also remember WWF Videos having a blue bit at the top instead of a black bit. Did this really happen?

Yep. Old WWF tapes had a blue piece at the top instead of the normal black.

My first tape was US Rampage 1991 and I still have and watch it to this day. I see SilverVision are to release it as a Tagged Classic with US Rampage 1992, which I'll be definitely getting.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the WWF re-released videos when they changed to WWF Home Video. I ask because I re-purchased Supertape 1992 off eBay last year and instead of the blue at the top it is black and then at the start instead of the Coliseum Home video intro it is a WWF Home Video one with Austin and a few others, circa 1997.

Yep. Old WWF tapes had a blue piece at the top instead of the normal black.

My first tape was US Rampage 1991 and I still have and watch it to this day. I see SilverVision are to release it as a Tagged Classic with US Rampage 1992, which I'll be definitely getting.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the WWF re-released videos when they changed to WWF Home Video. I ask because I re-purchased Supertape 1992 off eBay last year and instead of the blue at the top it is black and then at the start instead of the Coliseum Home video intro it is a WWF Home Video one with Austin and a few others, circa 1997.

They must have done, as my Best Of Raw Volume 5 (From Around Wrestlemania 13 in 1997) that I actually got in 2002 had the WWF Superbowl commercial from 1999 on it, along with adverts for 1998/9-ish PPV tapes on the inside of the cover.

• Paid Members

I think the blue bit on the tapes might have been an anti-piracy feature, or at least an anti-counterfeiting feature.

Not sure which I got first. It was one of the three that were first launched (SNME, Best of WrestleMania and the Hogan one) and I did get all three, but I assume I couldn't have afforded them on the same day.

Archived